Sign in to follow this  
npcfan

Is NPC best ladies conference in state?

Current NCHSAA adjusted rankings,      Carson-2nd - very very good all around team. Well disciplined and coached. Several good shooters. But lost size when Perry got hurt. 

North Iredell- 8th- This team lost twice to Carson, and other two losses happened when starters have been injured. Could go far like Carson with the

right pairings. Lalonde's ankle will be fine for conference tourney next week. 

West Rowan-10th- Very good one two combo with Wilson in post and Sobataka at shooting guard. Also could make noise with the right pairing. 

Statesville-12th-  Statesville plays hot and cold. Never know what to expect. But aggressive and never quits. 

Four teams currently seeded in top 12. Is this the strongest conference? Also know the Asheville area is very strong. Seedings are going to be interesting between NPC and Asheville area schools! 

This conference for the girls is a very good conference taking it all the way round. I’m not up on all the conferences in the state so I’m not really sure who has the best. I think we will see some teams in this conference that could go deep. Carson girls seem to have the ingredients to make a deep run. If N. Iredell healthy we could see them make a good strong run and may be a surprise of a team in the tournament. Then don’t count out Statesville and West Rowan. The tournament will be fun to watch. 

In 3A and below, the NPC could be.  In my area, we've got the Mid-State, Mid-Piedmont, Piedmont Triad, and Big Eight.  The strongest out of those four, IMO, is the Mid-Piedmont.  The MPC has two very good teams (SE Guilford/SW Randolph) and two good teams that are a notch below (Asheboro/Eastern Guilford).  The Mid-State (Northern Guilford, Rockingham Co., etc.) is down and the Piedmont Triad (Dudley, Mount Tabor, etc.) is weak.  Big Eight has two good teams (Hillside/Southern Durham) and an up-and-coming bunch (Chapel Hill).  In spite of this, I feel that the NPC is the stronger conference when comparing these five.  

In 2A, the Central Carolina might be able to hang.  They've got Salisbury,  East Davidson, Ledford, South Rowan, and North Davidson.  Even then, the top NPC teams probably beat these teams more often than not.  

Now, 4A is where I beg to differ.   In the Metro, you have NW Guilford, Ragsdale, and HP Central.  Granted, this is only a five-team conference.  However, I'd feel confident putting any of these three up against the best of the NPC.  I will say that an NPC team might have a shot at winning the Central Piedmont 4A.  However, they'd have to deal with West Forsyth, and I'd favor WF over any of the NPC teams.  

You've got me curious.  I'll have to look at some of the other conferences around the state now. 

• Like 2

Sorry Chute,,, meant in 3a ...I am sure some better in 4a

11 minutes ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

In 3A and below, the NPC could be.  In my area, we've got the Mid-State, Mid-Piedmont, Piedmont Triad, and Big Eight.  The strongest out of those four, IMO, is the Mid-Piedmont.  The MPC has two very good teams (SE Guilford/SW Randolph) and two good teams that are a notch below (Asheboro/Eastern Guilford).  The Mid-State (Northern Guilford, Rockingham Co., etc.) is down and the Piedmont Triad (Dudley, Mount Tabor, etc.) is weak.  Big Eight has two good teams (Hillside/Southern Durham) and an up-and-coming bunch (Chapel Hill).  In spite of this, I feel that the NPC is the stronger conference when comparing these five.  

In 2A, the Central Carolina might be able to hang.  They've got Salisbury,  East Davidson, Ledford, South Rowan, and North Davidson.  Even then, the top NPC teams probably beat these teams more often than not.  

Now, 4A is where I beg to differ.   In the Metro, you have NW Guilford, Ragsdale, and HP Central.  Granted, this is only a five-team conference.  However, I'd feel confident putting any of these three up against the best of the NPC.  I will say that an NPC team might have a shot at winning the Central Piedmont 4A.  However, they'd have to deal with West Forsyth, and I'd favor WF over any of the NPC teams.  

You've got me curious.  I'll have to look at some of the other conferences around the state now. 

No worries, guys.  

Upon further review,  it looks like the Southern Carolina is very strong as well.  There's four teams in that conference with a .650 win percentage or higher (Cuthbertson, Catholic, Weddington, Monroe).  Another(Marvin Ridge) is tied for third in the conference.  

Man, the 3A West is going to be outstanding!

• Like 1

The Western Highlands was definitely stout this year. For a good part of the season Mtn. Heritage was #1 in the State in 2A (Still #1) and Avery #1 in 1A (Probably still in top 5). Also you have a strong 1A team in Mitchell that can make some noise in the state and also Madison in 2A was ranked in the top 10 in the state for a few weeks and still in top 20 possibly. Definitely a very strong girls conference this year.

• Like 2

Here's some of the top teams in the 3A East.......

EE Smith (21-1)

Terry Sanford (18-3)

Hunt (17-3)

Jacksonville (17-3)

Person (18-4)

Clayton (17-4)

DH Conley (16-4)

Orange (18-5)

Hillside (16-5)

Havelock (15-5)

Topsail (17-6)

Rocky Mount (17-6)

Union Pines (16-6)

• Like 1

I don't know much about EE Smith or Terry Sanford.

I do know that Jacksonville and Havelock met in last year's Regional Final.  J'ville has one of the best players in the state, Kennedy Todd-Williams.  

Hillside's riding a 13 game win streak and Union Pines is riding an 11 game streak.  I've seen Hillside.  They're led by a very athletic player named Faith Blackstone. 

When talking about the Big Eight previously, I can't believe I didn't mention Orange.  They've beaten S Durham twice and Chapel Hill.  They did lose to Hillside twice (both games very close).

I haven't seen Person but I have my doubts about them.  Two of their losses were to E Alamance and N Guilford.  EA and NG are pretty good teams but are not elite by any means.