Sign in to follow this  
Vik-Val 86

Longer play clock

Rate this topic

Has anyone heard about a change in a longer play clock going from 25 to 40 sec. in N.C. Also possible instance replay. If this is the case any thoughts on this. 

I’m not sure how to send a link on here but from what I read from Citizen- Times about this topic a possible video replay could come in the future for playoff games

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...B6ZSPZYC0HGY9LkAmJHVfy9j1VV9vTwPGJgymKV55kxIk

I like the changes to the play clock in theory. It may become more consistent with a tweak of the rules. I can't see the Instant Replay being implemented at regular games.It's hard enough for most schools to find someone to video the games as it is. Please tell me the NCHSAA will not use Instant Replay in State Championship games either. There 7 officials used after using 5 all year is evidence that more doesn't make it better.
Edited by CHEERDUCK

I have no problem with extending the play clock. This may help teams with less talent, stay in games longer. However, I don't thinks it's fair to defense's to allow the offence to rush to the line, and then wait for the sideline to signal in the next play. Keeping the "D" from substituteing seems like an unfair advantage.

The attempt at video replay, I expect will be a disaster. If it take the NFL between five and ten minutes to make a decision, how long will it take for high school officials to decide. There will always be bad calls even with replay. I for one am not in favor of the money that will have to be spent  and the time wasted on Friday nights, not to mention the momentum loss for one team or the other.

Do not see how it is feasible to do instant replay in NC at the high school level.

The play clock is a good change.  Will not really add time from the current time used.  Brings more consistency.  

• Like 1

I don't think the play clock rules should change until the officials can get the ball set in a timely fashion.  I have seen officials here in WNC take 10-15 seconds just to get the ball placed before starting the play clock.  They will casually walk the ball back to the hashes to place the ball for the ready to play and then the white hat just looks around like he has all day while both teams are standing around waiting.  I understand it takes some time but most times it's ridiculous.  There are two white hats in particular in WNC that are very slow in starting the play clock.  I am not sure why they are so slow.  Is there some kind of motive for this? I don't know.  A lot of teams now run the hurry up/no huddle offense and this slow pace by officials takes away that dimension of their game.  

7 hours ago, btango said:

Do not see how it is feasible to do instant replay in NC at the high school level.

The play clock is a good change.  Will not really add time from the current time used.  Brings more consistency.  

Alabama did it this year.

https://www.al.com/expo/erry-2018/04/e56ea395ff2254/how_will_instant_replay_work_i.html

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/5638358853113332158/heres-the-cost-for-alabama-hs-football-instant-replay/

I like the college rule concerning the time clock. If the money for the IR equipment and RP official comes from the NVHSAA Endowment Mega Million Fund I have no problem with the use of IR. Most high schools cannot afford the cost. They have a hard enough time making ends meet as it is. However, we all know that the NCHSAA will not use money from their Mega Million Fund to do this so that idea goes out the window.

Extended clock? Horrible idea. The game is already 40 seconds of rest and 7 seconds of action. Sounds like baseball now. Boring.

Actually GDG if they use a 40 se. clock like they do in college the play clock starts as soon as the ball is blown dead or the runner steps out of bounds. The official on the field does not wind the ball in play. It is done automatically by the official in the booth who controls the clock. It will require thee players to get back to the LOS quicker. If they do not then the play starts with or without them. To me that is a good idea.

4 hours ago, GDG said:

Extended clock? Horrible idea. The game is already 40 seconds of rest and 7 seconds of action. Sounds like baseball now. Boring.

G, most think the games will have more consistency in time between plays and will actually speed up the game somewhat.  Some refs move quickly while others move much slower.  This has been tested in some states and I think it has been used in Texas and Mass due to those states playing by NCAA rules.

14 hours ago, Appvol said:

My reasoning is cost to procure and maintain then required equipment.  I have been to games in Alabama but at larger, football power schools.  They seem to have much better funding than our schools although from reading the article the system is not super expensive.  The cost issue may be the quality and number of cameras the school has.  The system plugs into the home schools recording system.  The logistics of instant replay are concerning.  With the money needed the schools can implement it but not sure the camera coverage would offer a lot. 

This was a test system in Alabama.  NC may be in line for a test system of another rule through the NFHS next season.  It is interesting.  The NFL and NCAA have different rules.  I am sure there will be some tweaking of what was used n GA.  When a state is a test case for the NFHS they have data that is kept to determine improvement and validity of continued use.

I am for anything that will make the game better and also give a better chance to not have a play blow the game.  

I am for anything that will make the game better and also give a better chance to not have a play blow the game.  

I agree.