Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

East Surry at Winston Salem Prep

Caught this one last Friday night over at Prep.  Wanted to see East Surry (and also Elle Sutphin and Jefferson Boaz). 

Sutphin did not disappoint at all.  Wow, is she good.  She looked like Anthony Davis out there.  She was hitting threes, getting buckets on the inside, dishing the rock, crossing people over, grabbing boards, blocking shots, and even threw some sweet behind-the-back passes.  Oh.....and she's 6-3 by the way.  Prep had zero answers for her.  East cruised easily.  

There was a member of the NC State women's team checking out Sutphin.  I'm thinking she liked what she saw (I know I did).  

Sutphin is more than capable of putting this ES team on her back.  However, I think that ES's ultimate success will be determined by how much help she gets from her teammates.  She has a couple of teammates that look like they can shoulder some of the load.  I don't know who will challenge ES in the West.  Honestly, their biggest challenge might come from their arch-rival. 

The guys game was a little more competitive.  WS Prep set the tone early with their defensive pressure.  They really frustrated ES's point guards.  Prep also hit the boards really hard.  Except for real early on, Prep was never really in danger.  They won decisively, 61-42.  

I really enjoy watching Prep's point guard, Stephen Minor.  He brings some great energy to that team.  He has a nice mid-range pull-up.  Also really gets after it on the defensive end.  

Zack Austin had another strong game on the inside.  Chaz Gwyn hit some big threes and finished off some nice quick drives to the hole.  Sophomore Anthony Sellars has some nice potential.

Biggest thing that hurt ES was that they were ice cold from the floor.  Especially that first half.  That basket might as well have had a lid on it.  They missed a ton of shots inside.  The Cardinals also didn't play the smartest game either.  Quite a few unforced turnovers.  

It was fun watching Boaz though.  I'd seen him on the summer circuit (but not in this setting).  That's a big ole youngin'.  With a very versatile game to match.  He stepped out and hit a few threes.  He also played some pretty good defense on the interior.  The best part of his game though is his passing.  Boaz is one crafty passer.  A couple of his passes gave me Larry Bird flashbacks.  

The guy is a talented athlete.  It'll be extremely interesting to see which sport he chooses to play in college.  At the right school,  he could probably play two.  

I would like to see him finish stronger around the rim.  He's a strong kid.  He shouldn't be worried at all about contact.  

I actually think that East Surry can make it to the title game.  Boaz's teammates have got to step their games up for that to happen.  

Prep's got a unique looking gym.  Very cool in some respects.  They do need to think about replacing that scoreboard though.  That thing cut out more than my first car.  

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero

Chute, there’s 2 really good basketball players in that area with Sutphin at E Surry and Malaya Cowles at Wilkes Cen. What’s your take on these 2 regarding their D1 potential? 

I’ve seen both teams this year. Think E Surry is the clear favorite in 1A. Wilkes Cent. Is very young, they might have a run like they did last year but I don’t think their legit contenders until next year and the year after. Think this is the year Mtn Heritage breaks through. 

• Like 2

I know I wasn't asked but haven't seen Sutphin play,,,but heard she is good. Not sure if being good at 1a level is enough for D1. Have seen Cowles play both aau and high school and feel she will end up d2 or d3. Chyna Cornwell from Newton is best post for ladies in the west by far and will go D1. Lalonde at North Iredell at 6'2" but is a natural wing should go d1 as well. 

6 hours ago, InnerCityPreps said:

Chute, there’s 2 really good basketball players in that area with Sutphin at E Surry and Malaya Cowles at Wilkes Cen. What’s your take on these 2 regarding their D1 potential? 

I’ve seen both teams this year. Think E Surry is the clear favorite in 1A. Wilkes Cent. Is very young, they might have a run like they did last year but I don’t think their legit contenders until next year and the year after. Think this is the year Mtn Heritage breaks through. 

It's funny that you asked this question because, while I was at the game, I was thinking at times about how similar both their situations are.  They're both extraordinary players surrounded by rather ordinary teammates.  

I think both have excellent D-1 potential.  Both are around 6-3/6-4 and have good length.  They both can handle the ball, shoot the three, play good defense. 

Right now, Sutphin's overall game is more polished than Cowles's is.  I was very impressed with how well/fluid she handled the rock.  She's also a good passer and very good at creating opportunities for her teammates.  Sutphin's also a better shooter at this point in time.  And a better rebounder.  

That being said, Cowles is arguably the better athlete.  Cowles is also a much more intimidating defender in the interior.  Cowles can block some shots......and she blocks them with authority.  One thing that really surprised me about her is how quick her hands were.  Against Greensboro Day, she was easily able to get a few steals out on the perimeter.  

If there's one thing Cowles really needs to work on.......it's rebounding.  It just looks like it doesn't come naturally to her.  

I think the only team that really stands in East Surry's way is Mount Airy.  MA played them to within three in their last meeting.  Agree 100% about Wilkes Central. 

As for Heritage, they could very well do it.  I saw them in the Regional Finals last year.  I was very impressed with how well they shared/passed the ball as a whole.  They'll have a tough road ahead of them though.  

• Like 1