Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

Asheboro at Southern Alamance

Light schedule last night.  Hadn't seen the Patriots all year so I figured I'd cross that off the list. 

Bill Parcells once remarked, "You are what your record indicates".  When it comes to the high school level, sometimes I believe that........other times I don't.  Last night, that statement rang true.  

Southern Alamance may have played the worst half of defense I've seen all year in the first half.  Asheboro scored  any and every way imaginable.  It looked like Noah Watkins was out there shooting by himself at times.  He hit a ton of threes and floaters. Cory Durrant is making himself a strong presence on the interior. On the other end of the court, the Comets frustrated SA with their aggressive, halfcourt trapping.  Score was 48-24 at the break.  

To my surprise, SA gets it together, comes out, and makes a run.  At one point in the third quarter, they whittle the lead down to 12.  They're getting great play from Larry Williams and Scottie Thompson.  However, Asheboro soon refocuses and pushes the lead back into the twenties.  Final was 80-52.  

Girls game was way, way better.  In the first half, Asheboro's quickness was really bothering SA.  However, a different SA came out of the locker room at the break.  Shots that weren't falling in the first half were landing at a good clip in the second.  SA was patient and unselfish on offense and took advantage of a few defensive breakdowns by the Comets.  In the third quarter, Courtney Britt and Alyssa Jacobson hit some big threes.  Meanwhile, Asheboro's starting to go cold.  SA outscores the Comets 13-5 in the third and takes the lead.  

Guard Gracie Williams has a big fourth quarter.  She hits a ton of free throws towards the end to seal the win for SA.  SA did an awesome job of building a wall in the middle to stop Asheboro's penetration.  

Sign in to follow this