Sign in to follow this  
BlueDevilsBiggestFan

Signing Day

Rate this topic

NLI day used to be one of my favorite days of the year. Still is in many ways.......Watching the kid move from a 14 year old kid to a young man over 4 years and then get to walk on stage with his parents and be celebrated for all his hard work is fun to watch. Lots of pride in the coaching staffs for what they accomplished as well. Sadly , it has really changed alot over the last couple of years. Entitlement for the kids and coaches bashing other coaches on social media has now taken over and turned a day of celebration into a free for all and recruitment battle for kids and their parents.

My kid didnt go D1 and its because Coach X didnt do enough for him has really gotten crazy. I really dont know how coaches deal with it ...........I really think I would lose my mind.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

NLI day used to be one of my favorite days of the year. Still is in many ways.......Watching the kid move from a 14 year old kid to a young man over 4 years and then get to walk on stage with his parents and be celebrated for all his hard work is fun to watch. Lots of pride in the coaching staffs for what they accomplished as well. Sadly , it has really changed alot over the last couple of years. Entitlement for the kids and coaches bashing other coaches on social media has now taken over and turned a day of celebration into a free for all and recruitment battle for kids and their parents.

My kid didnt go D1 and its because Coach X didnt do enough for him has really gotten crazy. I really dont know how coaches deal with it ...........I really think I would lose my mind.  

Speak the truth brother.

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Your right and It is the day in age we are in - Parents aren’t parents now days they wanna be Friends then parents and also Everyone will think there Kids is good and D1 talent n they have the rights to but Reality from Fictionis a big difference 

Someone has be the blame but sometimes it’s the parents 

It all boils down to one fact.  If a player has D1 talent, he will play D1 football, if the work ethic is there.  All of the talent in the world means nothing if the player does not utilize it.

• Like 1

I say it all the time, rivals, 247, ESPN...these recruiting sites pump these kids heads up. These kid sit on Twitter and see these kids get all these offers and they think....I'm as good as this or that kid. Or Johnny football may go 2 a big time program get 30 offers and all actuality the kid cant play or has crappy work ethic or is afraid of competition when In hs they were the big fish in the little pond. I tell all the kids pock 3 REALISTIC schools go there get close 2 the coach, learn everything about the school and for God sakes make sure they have a need of a player in your position. I've talked 2 a cpl big 10 coaches and they all told me: we rather have a good player that maybe a little undersized but can work his ass off and wanna play for my school than me have 2 convince Johnny 4 or 5 star to come and play here and when everything isnt going right looking to transfer on the 1st thing smoking out of town (tate martell, justin fields)

• Like 2

You all are speaking truth but it involves coaches too. Coaches actively recruit kids that are committed, we basically have mini HS free agency every year and coaches aren;t stopping kids from coming into big time programs leaving lesser ones without creating a cycle of haves and have nots. Then its some coaches that work with these 7 v 7 camps/teams, individual training, and facilitate some movement. Bottom line is its more than just the parents and players. These children are sold dreams goign all the way from elementary school through high school and college. by coaches. 

Football has become big business and in big business everyone has their best interest at heart. ONly real difference I see is in work ethic. You have some that work hard and some that dont. Some that are talented and some that are not.Someone mentioned it above If you have talent and work hard you will be successful.  Where it gets muddy is when you work hard and dont have the talent, and when you have talent and dont work hard. 

11 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

I've talked 2 a cpl big 10 coaches and they all told me: we rather have a good player that maybe a little undersized but can work his ass off and wanna play for my school than me have 2 convince Johnny 4 or 5 star to come and play here and when everything isnt going right looking to transfer on the 1st thing smoking out of town (tate martell, justin fields)

They may say that but when it seems when it comes down to it they go for talent believing they can coach the player up both on football IQ and their character in general.

Ur right and overall they do go for the best talent, but they also have a good track record for picking the less prominently ranked ones but they fit what they're looking for in their program. In the end we know talent trumps all but we know the lower ranked kids are the ones who make it big on the next level.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:08 AM, J-Heat1110 said:

You all are speaking truth but it involves coaches too. Coaches actively recruit kids that are committed, we basically have mini HS free agency every year and coaches aren;t stopping kids from coming into big time programs leaving lesser ones without creating a cycle of haves and have nots. Then its some coaches that work with these 7 v 7 camps/teams, individual training, and facilitate some movement. Bottom line is its more than just the parents and players. These children are sold dreams goign all the way from elementary school through high school and college. by coaches. 

Football has become big business and in big business everyone has their best interest at heart. ONly real difference I see is in work ethic. You have some that work hard and some that dont. Some that are talented and some that are not.Someone mentioned it above If you have talent and work hard you will be successful.  Where it gets muddy is when you work hard and dont have the talent, and when you have talent and dont work hard. 

J- Heat gets pretty close here but I believe it isnt just a coach issue. It goes all the way through the school administration. The newest tactic in the recruiting arms race at the high school level is demeaning and trashing of programs during and after NLI day by other programs. There used to be a time when regardless of battles on the field of play coaches celebrated kids regardless of school affiliation. Now coaches go out of their way to trash programs and kids who dont go D1 or who dont receive full rides.  The general spin being that school A doesnt get kids recruited by Power 5 programs so you should send your kid to school B. 

Every day I am told that a coaches #1 responsibility is to develop young kids into young men. Yet you see clearly that none of that truly matters in many programs.  It continues to get more and more out of hand.

Wrigley you are correct. When I think of school admin i consider them as coaches /officials. The coaches cant sit back and blame parents when they facilitate a

lot of what these parents believe. When I coach youth basketball now you see coaches from AAU teams just preying on talented kids. They sit back and look and find the biggest, fastest, or most athletic kid then go to their parents and sell what they can do for the child. How they are so much better than their current program or coach. They point out all the faults with the current coach, or perceived shortcomings. Then said child goes to that new team and if they are good they shine and hen the parents look for the next best deal. If the child doesn;t meet expectations as is usually the case the parent complains about that program, but has no burned a bridge with the old program and cant go back. Then parent goes searching for opportunity, cycle repeats. We have lost a sense of friendly competition and its become an arms race.

We are losing the pride in competing, and building something special. The teamwork aspect. Its what can I get. If I dont get it then I'm leaving. The gap in highschool sports is widening yearly between haves and have nots. Then folks will say well they should practice more, develop players, etc etc. work harder. Then when those schools do, they still lose parents.

Coaches, parents, fans, players and admin need to get a grip on expectations.  

1 hour ago, Greengold4ever said:

Lol that's the game. Having been thru it with mine and other Vance kids, the recruiting game isnt nice.