Sign in to follow this  

New turf field at Kannapolis

Rate this topic

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, 84k said:

I just got word they are going to start on the field Monday.

As of today Monday June 24th still no activity at Kannapolis Memorial Stadium.Coach Newsome said he is not sure of the exact date that work will begin at the stadium.Still have a little over two months before opening night.

When they cancelled the start date agreed on with the installer it pushed them back in line.  I would think they have plenty of time before the first game but this should have started a month ago.  Hopefully they do not lose a home game.

2 minutes ago, btango said:

When they cancelled the start date agreed on with the installer it pushed them back in line.  I would think they have plenty of time before the first game but this should have started a month ago.  Hopefully they do not lose a home game.

Their first game at home is Aug.30 and it's their first game of the year.

12 hours ago, 84k said:

Their first game at home is Aug.30 and it's their first game of the year.

Hopefully it gets done and all is smooth game one.  

I heard there was some back and forth regarding if graduation could be moved and some people were very opposed.  I understand wanting to hold the graduation on campus but what do you do if it rains.  Change the time or move inside, I guess.  Hopefully they do not lose the first two home games.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:55 PM, jacks2start said:

Sure hate to see the REAL grass go.. it want be the same

Until Catholic shows up.  Bwaahahahahahaha 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

My piece of history is preserved!!65045885_2678372728842797_25135514029245

On 6/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

My piece of history is preserved!!65045885_2678372728842797_25135514029245

I have a “turf bag” from all the playoff games at KMS vs Catholic.  

74264294-B62B-448E-9BC9-DAB7D5ABED1C.jpeg

13 hours ago, Footsoldier said:

Until Catholic shows up.  Bwaahahahahahaha 

Foots,Why do you still have to go there. Lol

As of Friday they haven't started on it  yet they are going to need to start soon for it to be finished before the season begins. Luckily the first game of the year isn't until August 30th.

I was by there today, there are quite a few rows of grass that have been cut out of the surface, I was told that the construction crews will be on ground Monday to officially start the project. 

Chris, do you know if they are going to put the turf down where that patch of grass is where they film the games. I think it's the east end zone.

4 hours ago, 84k said:

Chris, do you know if they are going to put the turf down where that patch of grass is where they film the games. I think it's the east end zone.

Do you mean on the high jump pad?  I'm sure that they'll turf around that, assuming that they're not installing a new track, which I don't believe they are. 

Quoting from the Salisbury Post article from May 3,

"Meanwhile renovations at A.L. Brown’s stadium will involve resurfacing the track and adding artificial grass, or turf, to the field. Those upgrades are estimated to cost $892,000."

If these plans have changed I must of missed it.

This past year Mooresville put down a new carpet and installed a poly track to the tune of approximately $1M.  The old track was resurfaced when the field was turfed in 2008.  It just did not hold up.

As of today....Monday July 8th there is still no work being done on the Kannapolis field.

40 minutes ago, 71K said:

As of today....Monday July 8th there is still no work being done on the Kannapolis field.

So true.. I went by at 5:30pm...nothing and no equipment on site?

Go back to my statement.  Get off the schedule you just don’t hop back on and knock others back.  Graduation or turf field by a certain date.  Kannapolis went with graduation after getting a lot of flak from some in town.  Would have been a true waste if a huge storm would have rolled in.  

Got a few grandstand engineers here.  Once started, it will take a minimum of 4 - 5 weeks.  Lots of prep work to be done.  Think of how bad it would be if Lane Stribling were still around.

7 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

Got a few grandstand engineers here.  Once started, it will take a minimum of 4 - 5 weeks.  Lots of prep work to be done.  Think of how bad it would be if Lane Stribling were still around.

I don't know much about Kannapolis football. I have been to a total of one game there. I have no idea who Mr. Stribling is.  I truly hope the man moved away from the area and has not passed away. If he has indeed passed, Mr Harrington, your last post is inappropriate. If not I am out of line, and I apologise to you sir.

2 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I don't know much about Kannapolis football. I have been to a total of one game there. I have no idea who Mr. Stribling is.  I truly hope the man moved away from the area and has not passed away. If he has indeed passed, Mr Harrington, your last post is inappropriate. If not I am out of line, and I apologise to you sir.

We lost Lane to cancer approx. 4 - 5 years ago.  Great guy, old school Kannapolis fan. If he could see my post, he'd laugh his ass off.

Heavy machinery arrived at Kannapolis field this morning.Work on the field is getting started today....July 10th.

1 minute ago, 71K said:

Heavy machinery arrived at Kannapolis field this morning.Work on the field is getting started today....July 10th.

Yep, you beat me to it 71 k, I went by the school around 12:30 and looked like they were working on the field.

44 minutes ago, 84k said:

Yep, you beat me to it 71 k, I went by the school around 12:30 and looked like they were working on the field.

I'm sure there is a lot of excavating to do.  It will be worth the wait, especially during the monsoon season.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:22 PM, Rick Harrington said:

We lost Lane to cancer approx. 4 - 5 years ago.  Great guy, old school Kannapolis fan. If he could see my post, he'd laugh his ass off.

Sounds like you knew the guy and had a good relationship with him. I tried to interrupt inflection from your post. It seems I'm the one who is out of line. My apologies sir. Carry on, carry on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Sounds like you knew the guy and had a good relationship with him. I tried to interrupt inflection from your post. It seems I'm the one who is out of line. My apologies sir. Carry on, carry on.

Thanks for caring enough to say something. Lane, or better known as K63 was a great man and probably one of the biggest Wonder fans around. He and Rick exchanged punches here on these forums but they we’re also good pals. 

Lane certainly was considered Old School and he had a good bit of curmudgeon in him, and I wonder how he’d feel about the turf. I have a good idea that he’d be against it, but he’d still support the team and be the first one in the stadium on Friday’s.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Mooresville fans and Kannapolis fans have a great relationship.  Yeah, we throw barbs at each other and talk a lot of trash.  When it's all over, we then go to the What-a-burger for something to eat - still trash talking.  They are good people.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Vik-Val 86 said:

Progress is coming along. Any idea when the project will be finished. 

They have to finish the retaining wall for the track, then they can begin constructing the drainage system. Then they can start laying down fabric, rock, and turf.

66896380_2747802131900601_73372831650959

66979691_2747802515233896_42240863898571

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1