Sign in to follow this  

New turf field at Kannapolis

It actually is better than real grass in terms of playing when the field is wet. A lot of injuries occur on a wet real grass field. Plus, it can rain all morning and the turf field will be dry by game time whereas on a real grass filed this may or may not be the case. Even if it is the dirt will still be wet to the point that it will create footing problems. The fact that it is so expensive prohibits most schools from ever getting it. You do not have the field maintenance to deal with and pay for but the amount of money spent on field maintenance over the life of the turf field does not come close to the cost of an artificial turf field.  I like both and can see advantages of both. 

48 minutes ago, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

I heard today that it will begin after graduation day. 

Do u know how the it will look like are going do light green for grass n Dark Green for K or Dark Green for Grass n Light Green for K or 

1 hour ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Do u know how the it will look like are going do light green for grass n Dark Green for K or Dark Green for Grass n Light Green for K or 

Haven't heard anything about that yet. I imagine a big White "K" midfield though.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 6:08 PM, 84k said:

What I Hear most often Story Goes that when they opened up Brown the school was small and everybody WONDER how would they field a football team. And that's how they got the nickname the Wonders.

Ever since the 'Wonders' were thrashed by Thanos, they've never been the same.  Gotten a little soft.

• My take on the name Wonders: They traveled in a old broken down bus and teams would "Wonder" if they would make it to the games because the bus broke down so much!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Hines said:
  • My take on the name Wonders: They traveled in a old broken down bus and teams would "Wonder" if they would make it to the games because the bus broke down so much!

Correct, that is the most known story I've ever heard as well.  Now I had also heard the story about the basketball team being good, and they were all small, and they called them Little Wonders, but the bus story seems to be the most common. 

• Like 1

I know it will be after graduation, but does anybody know the start date when they are going to be putting down and the new turf field.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, 84k said:

I know it will be after graduation, but does anybody know the start date when they are going to be putting down and the new turf field.

I heard it was suppose to be the day after graduation.

• Like 1

June 15th is graduation day at AL Brown..someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Don Hines

On 4/25/2019 at 1:48 PM, Chris Hughes said:

I’ve already seen some proposed artwork. A large white K in the center with Wonders in each end zone. 

Is there a artwork that you can share with us.

20 minutes ago, 84k said:

Is there a artwork that you can share with us.

I wish there was, but it was on Newsome's phone back at the February clinic.  He (Newsome) told me last night that even he doesn't know what the design will be, and said that it would ultimately come down to superintendent, Dr. Chip Buckwell.  I know Dr. Buckwell very well, so I'll bug him to give me some insight!  I told Newsome that I would like to see brightly painted green end zones.  I know that grass is green, but I think a painted end zone will stand out and look very sharp.  Other than that, I think a big white "K" with green outline would look good.  I've had some people tell me that they want to see KANNAPOLIS and WONDERS in the end zones, but I would like to see A.L. BROWN in one end zone, because too often, people leave out the Brown High and just all them Kannapolis.  

I've heard a strong push this week from a lot of significant members of the community and the booster club, in wanting to name the field after Bob Boswell, who nearly everyone agrees was the father of the program that we know.  While most agree that Bruce Hardin took the program to new levels, it was Boswell who created the foundation and made the program what it was, and I think naming the actual playing field after him is very appropriate. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:43 AM, Chris Hughes said:

I wish there was, but it was on Newsome's phone back at the February clinic.  He (Newsome) told me last night that even he doesn't know what the design will be, and said that it would ultimately come down to superintendent, Dr. Chip Buckwell.  I know Dr. Buckwell very well, so I'll bug him to give me some insight!  I told Newsome that I would like to see brightly painted green end zones.  I know that grass is green, but I think a painted end zone will stand out and look very sharp.  Other than that, I think a big white "K" with green outline would look good.  I've had some people tell me that they want to see KANNAPOLIS and WONDERS in the end zones, but I would like to see A.L. BROWN in one end zone, because too often, people leave out the Brown High and just all them Kannapolis.  

I've heard a strong push this week from a lot of significant members of the community and the booster club, in wanting to name the field after Bob Boswell, who nearly everyone agrees was the father of the program that we know.  While most agree that Bruce Hardin took the program to new levels, it was Boswell who created the foundation and made the program what it was, and I think naming the actual playing field after him is very appropriate. 

It is absolutely the right thing to do. I just put a poll up on my FIK Facebook page about this very topic. 90% of the persons responding voted yes to naming the new turf field after coach Boswell. The other 10% are either very young people who didn't know coach Boswell, and are very unfamiliar with the history of Kannapolis football, and folks who were never fans of coach Boswell because he took the "Little" off Wonders when he came to Kannapolis. I think the majority have spoken on this, and it will be a crying shame if the powers in Kannapolis don't do the right thing and name that field after the late coach. It is absolutely the right thing to do, and I will be very vocal about it you can count on that!!

• Like 1

A lot of ppl didn't like Hardin. He was a football guy only. He didn't take care of the other athletic teams like he did the football program.