Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
71K

New turf field at Kannapolis

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Heard today that Kannapolis was planning on installing a turf field for the upcoming 2019 football season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 71K said:

Heard today that Kannapolis was planning on installing a turf field for the upcoming 2019 football season.

I like that but TBH K-town has some nice REAL Grass field in the area, ill miss the RED/WHITE/BLUE K for Military night and such but im sure TURF is needed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the field or do some of the other projects they were wanting to do to the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 84k said:

Just the field or do some of the other projects they were wanting to do to the stadium.

 

Right now I'm hearing just the field.Hopefully to get started in May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure the field will look real good when it’s done. This year is moving fast. Want be long until spring training. Then summer will be here. Then next thing you know it’s 1st day of football practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rowan County approved money for the Kannapolis turf field yesterday.Cabarrus County approved their share of the money months ago.It looks like the turf field is a go.Look for excavation to get started in May of this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Change coming to AL Brown...new principal coming to town from Rowan County.  Will this have an effect on athletics in Wonderland?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it. The new principal at Brown was at Brown before he took the principal job at Carson. He's just coming back home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, 71K said:

Rowan County approved money for the Kannapolis turf field yesterday.Cabarrus County approved their share of the money months ago.It looks like the turf field is a go.Look for excavation to get started in May of this year.

Can I ask why Rowan County is approving money for a school in Cabarrus County and that is its own school system? Or does Rowan County also use KMS for events/sports? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kannapolis is located in both counties.  Residents of the town pay taxes to the respective county.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hbnw said:

Change coming to AL Brown...new principal coming to town from Rowan County.  Will this have an effect on athletics in Wonderland?????

In a one high school system the superintendent is more of a determining power while in multi high school system the principal would normally have more autonomy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btango said:

Kannapolis is located in both counties.  Residents of the town pay taxes to the respective county.

Thank you for clarifying 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Kannapolis is the only school system in the state that is divided by two counties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 84k said:

I believe Kannapolis is the only school system in the state that is divided by two counties.

That is not the case actually, there are three districts that cover multiple counties. 

1. Kannapolis City (Rowan/Kannapolis)

2. Elkin City (Surry/Wilkes/Yadkin)

3. Rocky Mount-Nash (Has Edgecombe area as well)

 

Here are a list of the towns that are in multiple counties in NC. 

1. Kannapolis (Cabarrus/Rowan)

2. Elkin (Wilkes/Surry)

3. Rocky Mount (Edgecombe/Nash)

4. High Point (Guilford/Davidson/Randolph)

5. Gibsonville (Guilford/Alamance)

6. Elizabeth City (Camden/Pasquotank)

 

If you wanted to get technical based on mailing addresses, Davidson is part of Iredell and Mecklenburg; Raleigh's borders actually cross into Durham County from Wake; and Cary has now expanded into Chatham from Wake County. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

Really?? I was wondering how that worked!! lol lol

A lot of posters have no idea.  One asked why Rowan County was providing funds for the field.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would surprise me if Cabarrus County is providing any support for this conversion because K Town schools are not a part of the Cabarrus County School System. They have their own separate school system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glenn said:

It would surprise me if Cabarrus County is providing any support for this conversion because K Town schools are not a part of the Cabarrus County School System. They have their own separate school system.

Glenn, county funds go to each school based on the number of students that live in the county.  Kannapolis gets funds from both Rowan and Cabarrus.  My understanding is Cabarrus and Kannapolis had already signed off and were waiting on Rowan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btango, that would be correct. They were just waiting on Rowan County to approve the funding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. My second guess is now all the Cabarrus County HS FB programs can use this to have their fields turfed. You can not do for one and not the others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Glenn said:

OK. My second guess is now all the Cabarrus County HS FB programs can use this to have their fields turfed. You can not do for one and not the others. 

Kannapolis City and the Kannapolis City School System footed the largest part of the cost.  The school system decides how to use the funds they are allotted by the two counties just as Cabarrus Schools decide what to do with their county funds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand what you are saying, but I can still see why all the Cabarrus County schools can make the argument that since Cabarrus County funds were used to fund the KTown  turf that Cabarrus County should provide funds for them to do that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they start it the first of May it should be almost complete about graduation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twinpeeks said:

they are a petition to stop turf being put down because of graduation

Are they going to petition the “weather gods” if it rains?  

Move graduation to Intimidators Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard that they are building a new stadium downtown and they are going to change their name. Even though my two children live in the Concord area, I don't get much information from them in terms of what is going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will be in their new stadium next year in downtown. They are talking about changing their name and a lot of people don't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 84k said:

They will be in their new stadium next year in downtown. They are talking about changing their name and a lot of people don't like it.

Theresa Earnhardt owns the right to the Intimidator's name. The city can't make money off it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a racing fan and know nothing about it so I have no idea what the term Intimidator means. But, I neve knew what a Wonder was either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I am not a racing fan and know nothing about it so I have no idea what the term Intimidator means. But, I neve knew what a Wonder was either.

The late Dale Earnhardt was known as the “Intimidator”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I am not a racing fan and know nothing about it so I have no idea what the term Intimidator means. But, I neve knew what a Wonder was either.

What I Hear most often Story Goes that when they opened up Brown the school was small and everybody WONDER how would they field a football team. And that's how they got the nickname the Wonders.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s one thing to change the name of Intimidator but don’t change the name Wonders. Lol Joking But wouldn’t be something if the name Intimidator got change to Wonders. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×