Sign in to follow this  

New turf field at Kannapolis

Heard today that Kannapolis was planning on installing a turf field for the upcoming 2019 football season.

3 hours ago, 71K said:

Heard today that Kannapolis was planning on installing a turf field for the upcoming 2019 football season.

I like that but TBH K-town has some nice REAL Grass field in the area, ill miss the RED/WHITE/BLUE K for Military night and such but im sure TURF is needed! 

Just the field or do some of the other projects they were wanting to do to the stadium.

5 hours ago, 84k said:

Just the field or do some of the other projects they were wanting to do to the stadium.

Right now I'm hearing just the field.Hopefully to get started in May.

I’m sure the field will look real good when it’s done. This year is moving fast. Want be long until spring training. Then summer will be here. Then next thing you know it’s 1st day of football practice. 

Rowan County approved money for the Kannapolis turf field yesterday.Cabarrus County approved their share of the money months ago.It looks like the turf field is a go.Look for excavation to get started in May of this year.

Change coming to AL Brown...new principal coming to town from Rowan County.  Will this have an effect on athletics in Wonderland?????

I doubt it. The new principal at Brown was at Brown before he took the principal job at Carson. He's just coming back home.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, 71K said:

Rowan County approved money for the Kannapolis turf field yesterday.Cabarrus County approved their share of the money months ago.It looks like the turf field is a go.Look for excavation to get started in May of this year.

Can I ask why Rowan County is approving money for a school in Cabarrus County and that is its own school system? Or does Rowan County also use KMS for events/sports? 

• Thanks 1

Kannapolis is located in both counties.  Residents of the town pay taxes to the respective county.

23 hours ago, hbnw said:

Change coming to AL Brown...new principal coming to town from Rowan County.  Will this have an effect on athletics in Wonderland?????

In a one high school system the superintendent is more of a determining power while in multi high school system the principal would normally have more autonomy.

1 hour ago, btango said:

Kannapolis is located in both counties.  Residents of the town pay taxes to the respective county.

Thank you for clarifying 

• Thanks 1

I believe Kannapolis is the only school system in the state that is divided by two counties.

1 hour ago, 84k said:

I believe Kannapolis is the only school system in the state that is divided by two counties.

That is not the case actually, there are three districts that cover multiple counties. 

1. Kannapolis City (Rowan/Kannapolis)

2. Elkin City (Surry/Wilkes/Yadkin)

3. Rocky Mount-Nash (Has Edgecombe area as well)

Here are a list of the towns that are in multiple counties in NC. 

1. Kannapolis (Cabarrus/Rowan)

2. Elkin (Wilkes/Surry)

3. Rocky Mount (Edgecombe/Nash)

4. High Point (Guilford/Davidson/Randolph)

5. Gibsonville (Guilford/Alamance)

6. Elizabeth City (Camden/Pasquotank)

If you wanted to get technical based on mailing addresses, Davidson is part of Iredell and Mecklenburg; Raleigh's borders actually cross into Durham County from Wake; and Cary has now expanded into Chatham from Wake County. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Friday Nights in K-Town said:

Really?? I was wondering how that worked!! lol lol

A lot of posters have no idea.  One asked why Rowan County was providing funds for the field.

• Like 2

It would surprise me if Cabarrus County is providing any support for this conversion because K Town schools are not a part of the Cabarrus County School System. They have their own separate school system.

38 minutes ago, Glenn said:

It would surprise me if Cabarrus County is providing any support for this conversion because K Town schools are not a part of the Cabarrus County School System. They have their own separate school system.

Glenn, county funds go to each school based on the number of students that live in the county.  Kannapolis gets funds from both Rowan and Cabarrus.  My understanding is Cabarrus and Kannapolis had already signed off and were waiting on Rowan.

Btango, that would be correct. They were just waiting on Rowan County to approve the funding.