Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

Hillside at Chapel Hill (1/25)

Alright, back to Friday night...............

Great hard, fought game between these two.  It was looking like an Instant Classic at halftime.  Then, Hillside put the clamps down on D and played a great third quarter.  Chapel Hill tried to get back into it but one of their key players fouled out in the fourth, which hurt them on the offensive end a little.  

My first impression of Hillside:  This team can win the East.  They've got an army of strong, athletic players.  They've also got quite a few shooters who aren't afraid to let it fly (even with defenders all over them).  Hillside also plays tough, hard-nosed defense.  

The Hornet that stood out the most was guard Traylen Warren.  This guy has some top-shelf athleticism.  In the third quarter, he might have had the block of the year on David Elien.  Elien got free on the left baseline and was looking to smash it home.  As Elein rises up, Warren runs down the lane, leaps up, meets Elien at the rim, and swats it about 15 feet in the other direction.  Mind you, Warren's listed at 6-2.  Later on in the quarter, Warren threw down a thunderous, two-handed dunk off an inbounds pass.  Warren's also built like a Division-1 football player.  I don't know why I haven't heard of him till now. 

Guard Derrick Wiley also had a nice two-way game for Hillside.  

I had watched Eastern Alamance a couple of days before.  I came away thinking that EA was good.....but very beatable.  I did not feel the same way after watching Hillside.  It's going to take a good, tough team to beat them.  

Despite the loss, Chapel Hill is still a very formidable team.  David Elien is a tough match-up for most any team in North Carolina.  He didn't have the loudest game against the Hornets, but he quietly showed off a nice array of skills.  Chapel Hill also has a good point guard in Issac Sinclair.  I thought Hillside did a nice job of trying to slow him down.  

In the girls game, Hillside out-lasted a furious fourth-quarter comeback to pick up the victory.  Chapel Hill sophomore forward Cecilia Calhoun caught fire in that fourth quarter.  Behind her shooting, the Tigers erased a ten-point deficit.  Chapel Hill's biggest problem was that they couldn't do anything with Faith Blackstone.  Blackstone hit quite a few threes and got to the rack on numerous occasions.  Blackstone is really athletic.  She's 6-1 and can leap.  I also thought Alysiah Taylor did a nice job on the boards for Hillside. 

Despite the loss, watch out for Chapel Hill come 2020-21.  They started two freshman and two sophomores.  

Sign in to follow this