Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

Ragsdale at NW Guilford

First thing's first.......I want to congratulate both Cayla King and Reagan Kargo for joining the 1,000 point club.  Well done, ladies. 

Had a showdown at NW last night.  Two-time defending state champ Lady Vikes versus the "new kids on the block" Ragsdale Tigers.  Back in December, Ragsdale got over the mountain and defeated NW to win the HAECO championship.  This time, however, star guard Cayla King would be ready to go for the Vikes. 

To make a long story short, NW reminded Ragsdale of just who the Queen is in Guilford County.  The Tigers jumped out to a 6-0 lead.....but that was as much success as they had all night.  NW soon put the clamps down and won 42-23.  Yep, held Ragsdale to only 23.  

Main reason for Northwest's success on defense was the presence of 6-6 Megan Harkey.  Harkey altered a lot of Ragsdale's looks.  She also had some great blocks in the fourth quarter.  She ended up with five blocks but I swear it seems like she had more.  I'm happy to see her having some success.  She's come a long, long way since her freshman year. 

Thalia Carter had a very nice game on both ends of the floor.  Reagan Kargo also had a nice game.  As for King....she looks like she's almost back to full strength. Little rusty from the field....but she'll come around. 

The other thing that doomed Ragsdale was that they gave up too many easy looks/buckets to Northwest.  Mariah Frazier and Diamond Monroe probably had the best games for the Tigers. 

Now.....the boys result was a bit of a surprise.  Ragsdale upset NW 67-58.  The Tigers played a great, great fourth quarter.  Point guard Devan Boykan was outstanding.  The Tigers also got a very good performance from forward Bryant Wall.  Wall hit some big, big shots from the perimeter.  The Tiger zone also frustrated NW quite a bit. 

As for NW....well it was just a case of "Murphy's Law".  From the opening tip, they came out the gate fast and looked like they were going to run away with it. However, two technical fouls slowed down their momentum.  Star guard Christian Hampton had a nightmare game.  He never could get going and fouled out early in the fourth quarter.  

Also, hate to say it.....but.....I didn't think NW played with any fire or sense of urgency.  It seemed like they felt that it was going to be an easy night and their body language reflected that. 

Sign in to follow this