Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Eastern Guilford head coaching job

It's already being reported by GreensboroSports.com that Joe Glass has stepped down as the Eastern Guilford head football coach.  I've known about this for a few days and was hoping it would stay under wraps, but the word is out now. 

• Like 1

Apparently he wanted to have a team meeting to announce it but this got out to the media.

I can state that Eastern Guilford and Hal Capps had been in talks prior about creating a position to where Capps could have been on Glass' staff, so surely it's smart speculation to think he'd have a very good shot at the job.  

• Like 1

Hal is from Burlington and has a lot of family here. My understanding is that he never sold his house her. I may be wrong on this because I have only seen him a few times since he left WA.

From the people  I know at Foard they have said Coach Minor is wanted to stay local they bought a house when they moved to the area so from what I have heard he is looking for a local school!!Funny last year 4 schools came open in the area!!

Unless you gat an assistant coaching job at a major college, the salaries at small colleges are not as good as they are in HS.

15 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Unless you gat an assistant coaching job at a major college, the salaries at small colleges are not as good as they are in HS.

The issue for Capps with most high school jobs is the double dipping issue.  

• Like 1

btango, you are right. There is another option. You can get out of the retirement system for the amount of time you want to coach, receive a salary for teaching/coaching (which will be more than your retirement salary) and then get back in the retirement system once you retire. The additional years will be credited to your retirement and you will receive an amount that was more than you did when you got out. If you are over the age of 65 it does not affect SS. Or, you can get paid the coaching supplement, coach and not worry about any of that. I have done both.  I always thought that it was rediculous that you could go teach/coach in another state and it had no affect of your retirement from NC (which is actually double dipping by going to another state), but the state of NC would not allow you to double dip although you were getting paid for putting in a full days work. I also double dipped one year until they took that option away. The state of NC does not have enough teachers to fill their vacancies but for some reason will not allow experienced teachers to fill those vacancies. Hal's best option is to either stay in SC or find a private school in this area and take that job. My guess is he wants to come back home to be closer to his family. I do not blame him for that. I would do the same thing. But, he still wants to coach FB. That is why I moved back home from the Concord area. Some people never want to return home. I have always wanted to return home. To me family is more important than FB, so I have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can rule out Capps for this job,this is from his tweeter page. It is now official, I am now the Director of High School Relations with the Elon University Football program

This coaching search should be winding down, I anticipate a hire very soon.  The one name I keep hearing is that of a very solid coordinator from a successful Alamance County program.  Stay tuned. 

All I have heard is that it has been narrowed down to 3 people. Fortunately for me, I am not one of those 3. LOL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glenn said:

All I have heard is that it has been narrowed down to 3 people. Fortunately for me, I am not one of those 3. LOL. 

Correct, another of those three is one coach who is currently on the staff and is ready to get a chance at becoming a head coach for the first time.