Catholic

2019 Charlotte Catholic schedule

Glenn, there are now two Catholic high schools in Charlotte area.  Christ the King went to a full four high school grades a few years ago.  It is toward Concord coming from the lake.  It was built due to the overcrowding of Catholic and the distance to Pineville.

Glenn, this is where a lot of families looking for a public school alternative have a great, but expensive, option in Charlotte.  Within six miles of Catholic are Christian, Country Day, Latin, and Providence Day.  

I thought that there was talk of building a Catholic HS close to lake Norman but was not sure it ever came into being . I moved from Concord 19 years ago (WOW. Where did the years go?) but  It seems like it was just a couple of years ago. Does CTK have athletics? My sister-in-law graduated from CG. Someone said that she did not look Catholic. I said neither did Jim Oddo but he was. LOL.

They started varsity football in 2016.  Are 2-28.  Scored about six tds last season.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, SPRedRaider said:

How often are "scholarships" awarded or tuitions paid by someone internal for stellar athletes? Honest question...... It happens; just curious how often.

Lol really dude? Like honestly, I’m just going to treat this as a troll post. However, I will answer your question about this “family friend” who say didn’t pay to go to CC, but who probably doesn’t exist because no one ever gives names they just make it up. I attended school with Hood, same grade. Not one person on our football team was on “scholarship” we don’t even have them. The third party tuition assistance is very hard to get and I’ve never known a single player to be receiving it. It does not happen at Catholic. Period. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, Glenn said:

When I was at Mt. Pleasant CC was in our conference and they beat us more than we beat them but we did beat them occasionally. One question I have always wondered. What is the makeup of the student population as far as Catholics and Non Catholics as well as the makeup on the football team.

Id say 98% of the school is Catholic. Student population probably identifies as 90-95% Catholic because not everyone is religious these days. Most on the football team are practicing Catholic’s and take their faith seriously. The most serious about it all was Elijah Hood, easily one of the most devout Catholic’s Ive ever met. Altar server at his church and an eagle scout. Many football players also take part in our Kairos retreats, which is a spiritual retreat we do three times a year for juniors and seniors. At the end of the day Id say 95% of our team identifies as Catholic, but probably closer to 100% of their parents are Catholic.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information Catholic. What you said is really refreshing news. At Eastern Guilford we put a lot of emphasis on following and practicing our faith (which is not an easy thing to do in the public school system) but we do it anyway. If we are ever punished for doing this I will quit coaching. Sometimes I wonder if my friend Hal Capps (who does this as well) lost his job in SC because someone complained about him doing this. 

9 hours ago, Glenn said:

Thanks for the information Catholic. What you said is really refreshing news. At Eastern Guilford we put a lot of emphasis on following and practicing our faith (which is not an easy thing to do in the public school system) but we do it anyway. If we are ever punished for doing this I will quit coaching. Sometimes I wonder if my friend Hal Capps (who does this as well) lost his job in SC because someone complained about him doing this. 

Not everyone is Christian, Glenn. You really can't get upset if someone at a public school has a problem with it. We had a few players who would abstain from our prayers on my team years ago. Some players get offended by it, others don't. 

I think practicing your faith should be a private matter, I never fully trust the hey look at me Christian I mean who are you trying to impress?  Saying the lords prayer before a football game does not make me a better Christian.  Plus there are good reason for separation of church and state.  

• Like 1

I tend to agree Ramhead. People who push their religion and faith on to their team can ostracize and offend players on their team of different faiths which really goes against public schools and the tenets of most religions. Also, it is easy to be good a good Christian or follower of another religion without ever having to overtly define it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fumblerooski said:

I tend to agree Ramhead. People who push their religion and faith on to their team can ostracize and offend players on their team of different faiths which really goes against public schools and the tenets of most religions. Also, it is easy to be good a good Christian or follower of another religion without ever having to overtly define it. 

5 hours ago, ramheadbut said:

I think practicing your faith should be a private matter, I never fully trust the hey look at me Christian I mean who are you trying to impress?  Saying the lords prayer before a football game does not make me a better Christian.  Plus there are good reason for separation of church and state.  

I disagree; I was at Mooresville when Coach Hal Capps was there n He never forced anyone to prayer or they had their own choice if they wanted to be there or not , Capps is a Religious person but He was a Fair and Great man and There maybe some didn’t agree with it but Seeing it on a daily basis , It brought our Community, Team, School better together bc Weather ur Jewish , Christian, Or whatever u still give “God” the glory (Note:God in “ “ mean any religion) so I think it has it positives and negatives but I do believe it is a Positive message to Make our players Better men , Better in their Faith and Making the right decisions 

just my 2 cents

In 2019 USA you are walking a fine line legally speaking and schools have to look at all things from a legal / regulation standpoint.  Last thing a school system wants is a discrimination lawsuit.

Nobody is talking about forcing their beliefs on anyone. If a group of kids want to say the Lords Prayer, then they should have that right. If the one who do not want to participate then they don't have to. Why should the majority be unable to say the Lords Prayer because one or two kids don't want to participate. They don't have to participate, but they should not have the right to determine what the others do. Why should one non believer determine what the other 119 kids get to do. Saying the Lords Prayer before the game has nothing  to do with making me a better Christian or a better FB player. It has everything to do with making me a better person.  If you say it has nothing to do with making me a better person then that is your opinion, but in my case you will be wrong. I always say a prayer before each game asking for every player on both teams to play their best game and I also ask that no player is seriously hurt. I never ask for a win. I pray after the game thanking him for giving each kid the chance to play a great game. I do not know a single person who professes to being a Christian does so because they want to try to impress anyone. But why are they ridiculed because they do so? Personally, at my age I don't care what people think because I am going to continue to pray. If you chose not to then that is your choice. The fact is atheists have more rights than do people who believe in God.  The fact is the motto In God We Trust has been allowed to remain on government buildings. What I am seeing is more and more states are going back to the way it was when I was a kid in making it legal to have God in our schools. Before you know it these same people will make it illegal to say The Pledge Of Allegiance. Parochial schools do not have any of these problems. If our non Christian players want to have their own pre-game and post-game prayers I will be right there with the and defend their right to do so. I am an equal opportunity type of person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glenn said:

Nobody is talking about forcing their beliefs on anyone. If a group of kids want to say the Lords Prayer, then they should have that right. If the one who do not want to participate then they don't have to. Why should the majority be unable to say the Lords Prayer because one or two kids don't want to participate. They don't have to participate, but they should not have the right to determine what the others do. Why should one non believer determine what the other 119 kids get to do. Saying the Lords Prayer before the game has nothing  to do with making me a better Christian or a better FB player. It has everything to do with making me a better person.  If you say it has nothing to do with making me a better person then that is your opinion, but in my case you will be wrong. I always say a prayer before each game asking for every player on both teams to play their best game and I also ask that no player is seriously hurt. I never ask for a win. I pray after the game thanking him for giving each kid the chance to play a great game. I do not know a single person who professes to being a Christian does so because they want to try to impress anyone. But why are they ridiculed because they do so? Personally, at my age I don't care what people think because I am going to continue to pray. If you chose not to then that is your choice. The fact is atheists have more rights than do people who believe in God.  The fact is the motto In God We Trust has been allowed to remain on government buildings. What I am seeing is more and more states are going back to the way it was when I was a kid in making it legal to have God in our schools. Before you know it these same people will make it illegal to say The Pledge Of Allegiance. Parochial schools do not have any of these problems. If our non Christian players want to have their own pre-game and post-game prayers I will be right there with the and defend their right to do so. I am an equal opportunity type of person.

Just curious.....what do you think the general reaction would be if a group of students led by a teacher or a coach. Stood up 5 times a day in class. Washed their bodies, took out their prayer rugs, said out load Allahu Akbar and then proceeded to kneel and touch their forheads to the ground. 

• Thanks 1

That's my point and Glenn you used your personal view your personal experience and that's great but I still think it should be up to the individual and a personal matter.  Also praying does not make you make better choices you make you make better choices.  Jim Jones prayed a lot , Jimmy Swaggart prayed a lot, those Priests who molested kids prayed a lot and how were there choices???? 

I try not to discuss religion or politics but since I opened my mouth I guess I will continue. I think some of you are underestimating the power and influence a coach, teammates and a program has. If a player does not worship Jesus and a coach preaches about him it can and has have negative effects on those types of players. Instead of positivity the message of a religion can often fail to be received that way. Many people do not realize how others interpret what is said because they do not know what it is like to be the different person. I am sure there are plenty of great examples how professing your religion has been a positive to players that do not follow but if it makes one player uncomfortable to me, it should not be done in a public school setting.

In any case as a coach I prefer to show by example than preach to my players regardless of subject matter. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wrigley said:

Just curious.....what do you think the general reaction would be if a group of students led by a teacher or a coach. Stood up 5 times a day in class. Washed their bodies, took out their prayer rugs, said out load Allahu Akbar and then proceeded to kneel and touch their forheads to the ground. 

People never think about that.  This would be intolerable to many.

I have lived in a country that was probably 98% Muslim and one that was 85% Catholic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wrigley, I have never advocated that that those of us who are of the Christian faith hold a mandated prayer session. If the kids want to meet before school and have a short devotional then that should be allowed. If Muslim students wanted to do the same thing then I personally would have no problem with them doing that. The same for any students who have a different belief. Our country was founded because one of the reasons was religious persecution. They came to worship God. My ancestors came from Germany for the same reason.  Ramsheadbut, those people were evil to start with. When I pray, I do ask God to make me a better person and to guide me to make better choices. That does not mean that this is always going to happen because I am a human being. I accept the fact that I will make mistakes. I also understand that there are consequences when I make a mistake. Praying to ask me to be a better person will not make me a better person. I have to make myself be a better person. Those people you mentioned proclaimed to be Christian but apparently they were not. Like my uncle (who was a mechanic) use to tell me when I was a teenager working on my old 1950 Chevy when he said that I could work on cars for thirty years but that does not make me a mechanic. People can claim to be Christian but that does not mean they are. Just like you cannot make the statement that all Muslims are evil based on the fact that some middle east Muslims are terrorists. I know many Muslim who are great people and they denounce those Muslim terrorists. I am not a religious person. I say that because to me that means I am Baptist, Methodist, etc. I am a spiritual person. My college roommate was and still is Catholic. I use to go to church once a month with him. I felt right at home. Denominations mean very little to me. Just because a  person  professes to be of the Christian faith it means very little if he/she does not live their life according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. 

Update on the schedule as some may have read an issue arose between Country Day and Catholic's schedules. Country Day and the whole NCISAA are starting a week earlier than everyone else so their week 4 was our week 3. 

Unless Country Day chooses to drop their week 4 game the 59th Cook Cup game will not be played this year. Which is a real shame because of how much that rivalry means to so many.