Catholic

2019 Charlotte Catholic schedule

Interesting that the assumption is always made that private schools have more and their employees are paid more. Sometimes this is the case. Sometimes it is not. At MOST private schools, the teachers and coaches are actually paid less than public school counterparts in that state. Facilities are paid for (and maintained) with ZERO public funds. Private donations and fundraising campaigns are the avenues for improvements and additions to existing facilities.

Ok, so you say “it’s all those wealthy families that have money anyway” that contribute. Sometimes this is true... especially at the really high dollar private’s but there are families that save & sacrifice a lot to send their kids to private schools for a variety of reasons. All the while paying for public schools as well thru taxes as we all do. No, I’m not saying they shouldn’t either. Fundraising campaigns also go on for public schools thru booster clubs & other special projects. I’d argue there is often a greater disparity in facilities between older & newer public schools.

If you want to complain about lack of district boundaries, fair enough. With the way families transfer their kids within & between school systems nowadays though, are there really any boundaries? The truth is that nobody cares when a school like Catholic goes 4-7 or 6-6. They really don’t even care if they win 30 consecutive volleyball, tennis or cross country state titles. It’s when they win a State Championship in football or boys basketball that people get upset. I’ve seen it here in NC and with Bishop England in SC. 

I’ve lived a lot of places. I attended both private and public schools as have my kids. I graduated from a public school as have my kids. 

In the end, it’s a game. It’s played by kids and too many adults are getting upset by the results. Support your kids, your school and your community... both public and private.

• Like 5

On 1/27/2019 at 5:50 PM, ConnerP said:

Interesting that the assumption is always made that private schools have more and their employees are paid more. Sometimes this is the case. Sometimes it is not. At MOST private schools, the teachers and coaches are actually paid less than public school counterparts in that state. Facilities are paid for (and maintained) with ZERO public funds. Private donations and fundraising campaigns are the avenues for improvements and additions to existing facilities.

Ok, so you say “it’s all those wealthy families that have money anyway” that contribute. Sometimes this is true... especially at the really high dollar private’s but there are families that save & sacrifice a lot to send their kids to private schools for a variety of reasons. All the while paying for public schools as well thru taxes as we all do. No, I’m not saying they shouldn’t either. Fundraising campaigns also go on for public schools thru booster clubs & other special projects. I’d argue there is often a greater disparity in facilities between older & newer public schools.

If you want to complain about lack of district boundaries, fair enough. With the way families transfer their kids within & between school systems nowadays though, are there really any boundaries? The truth is that nobody cares when a school like Catholic goes 4-7 or 6-6. They really don’t even care if they win 30 consecutive volleyball, tennis or cross country state titles. It’s when they win a State Championship in football or boys basketball that people get upset. I’ve seen it here in NC and with Bishop England in SC. 

I’ve lived a lot of places. I attended both private and public schools as have my kids. I graduated from a public school as have my kids. 

In the end, it’s a game. It’s played by kids and too many adults are getting upset by the results. Support your kids, your school and your community... both public and private.

Drop mic!!

So let me get this straight. Private schools are poorer than public schools even with a parking deck that I have yet to sight from public schools. I don't care about the ongoing argument that has transpired on here about whether Charlotte Catholic should or should not play with public schools. However, I find it hard to believe that the kids at Catholic are middle class, but the teachers are poor & suffer from low income.

1 hour ago, HPCBison08 said:

So let me get this straight. Private schools are poorer than public schools even with a parking deck that I have yet to sight from public schools. I don't care about the ongoing argument that has transpired on here about whether Charlotte Catholic should or should not play with public schools. However, I find it hard to believe that the kids at Catholic are middle class, but the teachers are poor & suffer from low income.

Come over buddy. Sit one of our teachers down and ask them. That parking deck was donated by the Keffer’s who have been an institution at Catholic for decades. That is not the norm and it was done out of necessity to keep kids from parking on the side streets. Many kids at Catholic are middle/upper middle class. I was, my parents sacrificed to send me there. Don’t bring up something you don’t know anything about. 

• Like 1

Catholic student body family financial situation is not like Country Day, Latin, and Providence Day and doubtful it is in line with Christian.

• Like 2

It's quite evident that some posters no nothing about Catholic schools and education.  If I'm not mistaken, the4 Jesuit order are traditionally teachers within the Catholic faith and education falls under their guidance.  Btango is right in his assessment of the "private" schools in the Charlotte area.  Catholic will fall at the bottom of the socio-economic spectrum.  Parents who start the kids in Catholic schools tend to keep them there for two simple reasons:  1.  The kids receive religious and moral training.  2.  The academic education is second to none.  The public schools only wish they were as successful.  I will say this for the students of Charlotte Catholic and some other private schools on Charlotte.  They are extremely well mannered.  Punkish behavior is not a part of their culture.  The publics  could take note of this.

2 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

It's quite evident that some posters no nothing about Catholic schools and education.  If I'm not mistaken, the4 Jesuit order are traditionally teachers within the Catholic faith and education falls under their guidance.  Btango is right in his assessment of the "private" schools in the Charlotte area.  Catholic will fall at the bottom of the socio-economic spectrum.  Parents who start the kids in Catholic schools tend to keep them there for two simple reasons:  1.  The kids receive religious and moral training.  2.  The academic education is second to none.  The public schools only wish they were as successful.  I will say this for the students of Charlotte Catholic and some other private schools on Charlotte.  They are extremely well mannered.  Punkish behavior is not a part of their culture.  The publics  could take note of this.

I would not go that far. I have a ton of respect for the Catholic program and the school in general. When I was working in SOuth Charlotte I was always looking for CC kids to employ. Many came from middle to upper class families and the kids were taught that they needed to work if they wanted to buy things. Thats said, they arent angels and I have seen antics from the athletes at several CC sporting events. Not off the charts bad but typical teenage stuff. 

2 hours ago, Wrigley said:

I would not go that far. I have a ton of respect for the Catholic program and the school in general. When I was working in SOuth Charlotte I was always looking for CC kids to employ. Many came from middle to upper class families and the kids were taught that they needed to work if they wanted to buy things. Thats said, they arent angels and I have seen antics from the athletes at several CC sporting events. Not off the charts bad but typical teenage stuff. 

"Typical teenage stuff"  happens everywhere and as a rule it is just that.  Antics like Lake Norman pulled against Mallard Creek's volleyball team would not be tolerated at Charlotte Catholic.

• Like 1

How often are "scholarships" awarded or tuitions paid by someone internal for stellar athletes? Honest question...... It happens; just curious how often.

38 minutes ago, SPRedRaider said:

How often are "scholarships" awarded or tuitions paid by someone internal for stellar athletes? Honest question...... It happens; just curious how often.

“It happens.”  Could you provide some additional info to support that statement.  

Almost all of the players come from Parochial middle schools.  This is why I do not really question their program.  People act like they are a team loaded with four and five star players.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:56 AM, Catholic said:

Come over buddy. Sit one of our teachers down and ask them. That parking deck was donated by the Keffer’s who have been an institution at Catholic for decades. That is not the norm and it was done out of necessity to keep kids from parking on the side streets. Many kids at Catholic are middle/upper middle class. I was, my parents sacrificed to send me there. Don’t bring up something you don’t know anything about. 

No complaints about West Montgomery's INDOOR practice facility? Pick on CC but refuse to schedule them. Put up......simple as that

Careful Red Raider, they will cut you down quicker than a evergreen in Canada. Don't you say nothing bout them Cougers. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Careful Red Raider, they will cut you down quicker than a evergreen in Canada. Don't you say nothing bout them Cougers. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

I just ask that if a person is going to make accusations they need to back it up with supporting information and details.  

15 hours ago, btango said:

“It happens.”  Could you provide some additional info to support that statement.  

Almost all of the players come from Parochial middle schools.  This is why I do not really question their program.  People act like they are a team loaded with four and five star players.

I'm not going to provide names of anyone on here because I value that friendship more than anyone's opinion here. The source is an ex-Catholic players parent. Their son played there during the Hood days. The suggestion was that the aforementioned did not pay tuition to attend CC. 

I don't question the program. I think they are only doing what they are being allowed to do. Until someone says its not OK.... so be it. 

Did your friend explain the MACS financial aid package that was available for all Diocese students that entered Catholic through 2011-2012 schools year?  Did he explain that it is no longer available to any student that participates in athletics entering the school since that time?  

Want to make sure it is understood I did not attend Catholic, have never worked there, am not affiliated with the school, teams, or religion.  They were my opponent years ago.

2 hours ago, btango said:

Did your friend explain the MACS financial aid package that was available for all Diocese students that entered Catholic through 2011-2012 schools year?  Did he explain that it is no longer available to any student that participates in athletics entering the school since that time?  

Want to make sure it is understood I did not attend Catholic, have never worked there, am not affiliated with the school, teams, or religion.  They were my opponent years ago.

To my knowledge I do not recall that topic..... I'm also uncertain how that pertains to someone getting hidden funds to attend the school.

6 hours ago, SPRedRaider said:

I'm not going to provide names of anyone on here because I value that friendship more than anyone's opinion here. The source is an ex-Catholic players parent. Their son played there during the Hood days. The suggestion was that the aforementioned did not pay tuition to attend CC. 

I don't question the program. I think they are only doing what they are being allowed to do. Until someone says its not OK.... so be it. 

what are they being allowed to do?

8 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

what are they being allowed to do?

How does CC differ from the following:

Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin, Providence Day, and Country Day? This isn't a baited question. Looking for a real answer. I don't know but I assume there aren't really any differences. 

3 minutes ago, SPRedRaider said:

To my knowledge I do not recall that topic..... I'm also uncertain how that pertains to someone getting hidden funds to attend the school.

You are stating "hidden funds" to pay for the tuition but there is a need based financial assistance program in place for all students that are "participating" Catholic Church members (that is what they call a person that is a member in good standing of the local Diocese from what I understand).  I have been told it is based on household income and number of family members and the application process is through a third party "clearinghouse" setup.  Some people from Catholic may can explain it more indepth. 

I think Hood had always went to the Catholic schools.  His father and uncle played there.

58 minutes ago, SPRedRaider said:

How does CC differ from the following:

Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Latin, Providence Day, and Country Day? This isn't a baited question. Looking for a real answer. I don't know but I assume there aren't really any differences. 

I know student athletes that have "transferred" to one of the Big 4 and played immediately.  They also received financial aid based on the ability to pay but it is my understanding it is used for "diversity" of the student body.  I doubt anyone can substantiate that but it seems feasible.

I think Catholic goes above and beyond the extra rules that are required of them by the NCHSAA.  I think there should be even less of an issue as the charters, magnets, and multiple "transfers" seem to be the "norm" now instead of the exception to some degree.  High school sports are moving to where students will go and play where and when they want to.

My "personal opinion" on Catholic and eligibility is and has been the following:

The student should be and have been a member in good standing of the Catholic Church for a set number of years before he plays a sport at the school.  This may differ based on past Church affiliation and attendance.  I am not very concerned about the 25 mile radius / county rule.  I am fine if the tuition is covered for a family in need.  If that is "their" community they should not be limited based on their financial situation.  If they are a long time Catholic Church member in good standing I see that as "their community."  If they do not meet the Catholic Church requirement they do not play until they meet it.  Some will complain but I believe that there needs to be limits.  

Regarding classification I think they should play up one classification and for subdivided sports (notice I wrote that as a plural 😉) they should play in the sub class they would be in their actual enrollment classification.  This year Catholic was small 3A so that would make them small 4A.  If they were a large 3A school I would place them in the 4AA although they may be the smallest school in the 4A playoffs.  This can be seen as using a multiplier like many states do.

I think only two states do not combine the Catholic schools with the public schools.  Maryland and Virginia has around 50 Parochial schools and they have their own association.

With the way families transfer their kids within & between school systems nowadays though, are there really any boundaries?

Actually this does not happen nowadays as much as it use to. Since the fiasco at Northern Guilford several years back each LEA has set up guidelines to make sure this does not happen. I know that Guilford County makes it almost impossible for this to happen.

When I was at Mt. Pleasant CC was in our conference and they beat us more than we beat them but we did beat them occasionally. One question I have always wondered. What is the makeup of the student population as far as Catholics and Non Catholics as well as the makeup on the football team.

I have been told the student body I s in the 90% range and almost all of the football players played in the middle school system if they went to middle school in the metro.  The one’s that move from out of state normally were enrolled in a Parochial school prior to moving. I attribute a lot of their success in the gridiron to the feeder programs.

Cardinal Gibbons in Raleigh published numbers a few years ago that had a lower Catholic percentage of students.  This was thought to be partly due to Charlotte having more choices in top private schools in the area.

Seems strange, we had almost the exact same discussion last off season. Instead of Glenn and Red Raider getting hammered, last year it was me.😁

Cardinal Gibbons in Raleigh published numbers a few years ago that had a lower Catholic percentage of students.  This was thought to be partly due to Charlotte having more choices in top private schools in the area.

It seems to me that this would create an opposite effect. If CG is the only Catholic HS in the Raleigh area (plus the fact that the Wake County has a population close to the population of the CM area) all the Catholic students in the Raleigh area would go to CG and would therefore result in a higher Catholic student population which would decrease the number of non-Catholic students being allowed to attend CG. I am surprised that because Wake County does not have any private high schools (other than CG) that play FB that CG is not larger in student population that they are.