Sign in to follow this  
Chute Boxe Hero

MLK Classic games (1/21)

Southeast Guilford is playing host to six games today.  First game starts at 11:00.

There are two very interesting games in the middle of the schedule.  At 2:00, the Reidsville boys take on Piedmont Classical.  This will be a very tough test for the Rams.  PC is very athletic and they've knocked off the likes of Greensboro Day thus far.  They also have one of the most athletic point guards in the nation in Shakeel Moore.  Should be a very interesting battle between him and Breon Pass. 

At 3:30, there's a very good girls battle between Ragsdale and West Forsyth.  Both teams are strong and have very fun players to watch.  Both teams played each other on December 18, with Ragsdale winning the first meeting (55-46).  Ragsdale is still undefeated at the moment.  

Rest of the schedule is.....

Reidsville vs. Grimsley (girls)  (11:00)

West Forsyth vs. Person  (boys)  (12:30)

SE Guilford vs. Page      (girls)      (5:00)

SE Guilford vs. Wesleyan  (boys)    (6:30)

Here's a brief recap of what went down in Forest Oaks yesterday.....

The opening act turned out to one of the best contests of the day.  Down by eight going into the fourth quarter, Reidsville came back and sent this one into OT.  The Lady Rams eventually took the lead and won the foul-plagued game by the score of 67-65. Reidsville hit some big threes in both of the latter periods to help their cause.

Next up was the West Forsyth boys taking on Person.  The Rockets erased a ten point deficit at half and eventually held on, 66-62.  Person really frustrated WF with their full court pressure.  They also got a plethora of quick, easy buckets.  The Rockets really embarrassed WF at times.  There were a few times when Person would inbound a made basket, throw it the length of the court, and get an easy layup (Carolina-style).  

Player of the game was easily Rocket point guard Dre Newman.  Newman is built like a D-1 linebacker and has a powerful first step.  He also almost threw down an awesome dunk off an inbounds pass.  Cam Brown also had a nice game for the Rockets.  

Next up was the Reidsville boys taking on Piedmont Classical.  Much to my dismay, Shakeel Moore was not able to go for PC.  PC didn't miss too much of a beat though.  They pretty much controlled things from start to finish.  Their depth and athleticism took a bit of a toll on the Rams.  The Joiner brothers are nice prospects (especially Evan). Also liked what i saw out of Trent McIntyre and freshman Amare Miller.   Once again, Reidsville's Breon Pass had another nice performance (despite garnering the majority of attention from the PC defense).  Final score was 63-58 but the game wasn't as close at the score indicated. 

Here's the big news of the day:  The Ragsdale girls are no longer undefeated. West Forsyth knocked them off 43-36.

The Tigers played a great first half and seemed to have West Forsyth's number.  However, West made some adjustments and steadily battled back.  The Titans caught up with the Tigers and surpassed them late in the third quarter. At the end of the third, point guard Callie Scheier hit the shot of the day.  While being double-teamed, Callie drove left of the top of the key and hit a running, off-balanced three at the buzzer.  

In the fourth quarter, the Titans got some great play from Callie, Destiny Griffin, Shakira Baskerville, and Briuana Booth.  Griffin had some great defensive plays this quarter.  Ragsdale just seemed to cool off at the wrong time as well. Despite the loss, the Tigers got nice performances from Faith Price and Mariah Frazier.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Frazier on a D-1 roster someday.  She's very athletic (and good).  

Next up was the SE Guilford girls taking on Page.  This wasn't much of a contest.  SE jumped out to a 33-6 lead and cruised.  Page looked like they wanted to be anywhere except Forest Oaks.  

It was my first time seeing the Falcons and a few things caught my eye.  Sophomore Emily Liggins can really shoot the basketball.  Junior Kennedi Simmons is a good, smart ballplayer.  Biggest eye-popper though was freshman Raven Preston.  She was really impressive.  She's 6-0, versatile, and glides down the court.  There was about a three-minute stretch in the first half where it was nothing but Preston grabbing the rebound, going coast-to-coast, and hitting smooth layups.  She is Southeast's "Grant Hill".  

The closing act was the SE boys taking on Wesleyan Academy.  I only saw the first half of this one.....but that's all I needed to see.  Wesleyan held around a 20 point lead at half and ended up cruising, 93-62.  Although they've dropped off a little in the past year, Wesleyan is still formidable.  Big man Luke Davis looked like a bonafide Division-one prospect last night.  He did a bit of everything, was a presence on defense, and was strong on the boards.  Crazy to think that this guy and Dayron Sharpe were in the same frontcourt last year.  That's about as strong a frontcourt as you can get. 

Despite getting blown out, I really enjoyed watching SE's Lars Nilsson.  Nilsson is a good, good ballplayer.  He's got a good stroke and is fearless taking it to the hole. He is the best player that Southeast has had in a long, long time.  

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero

7 minutes ago, npcfan said:

North Iredell, Carson, West Rowan will probably see SE Guilford girls come playoff time.....West is gonna be brutal for the ladies

It sure is.  I've got to make it down that way to see at least one of those teams in action.  I saw Carson last year.  Looks like they haven't missed a beat.  

Southwest Randolph's not too shabby either.  Would say Rockingham County also but they've been East the last few years. 

Erwin ladies took their 1st loss of the year to Asheville High. Mountain Heritage girls in 2A, I believe is the only remaining undefeated team near the Asheville area. They are rolling. I think it will be tough to stop them from returning to the West region Finals this year.

Sign in to follow this