Sign in to follow this  
LarryRandolph

baseball preview

The I-meck is always top heavy with teams like LKN, Hough as the top 2 but Mooresville, Hopewell, Mallard Creek always battle it out , NM has been down n WC isnt that great nor is Vance. 

NPC: Carson, ER and WR should still be top 3 but NI, SI could sneak up in there , Statesville should maybe do better this yr

I hope to see NL, Bandy have a good season. Hickory and St stephens are usually decent. 

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, LarryRandolph said:

I have teams I follow.

What kinds of predictions are there for the year?

Where is the guy who does the 2A predictions?

That would be tarheelg. Think his last thread was about the next realignment?

He will be around in a bit...

Even I think it's a little early yet.

I'm in a little bit of a baseball mood today.  

Around my neck of the woods, the best teams I saw last year were Western Alamance, Ledford, and SE Guilford.  However, all three of those teams will have to replace a lot of key players.  WA graduated almost their entire pitching staff.  

Here's some players to watch (around my area), 

Chris Villamin-Ledford

Austin St. Laurent-Western Alamance

Coby Ingle-Rockingham Co.

Caleb Cozart-Wesleyan

Trevor Marsh-Asheboro

Ryan Douglas-SE Guilford

Drew Needham-Providence Grove

Alex Gowda-Eastern Guilford

Nick Neal-Randleman

Joey Razak-NW Guilford

Figure that might get the ball rollin' a little.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

I'm in a little bit of a baseball mood today.  

Around my neck of the woods, the best teams I saw last year were Western Alamance, Ledford, and SE Guilford.  However, all three of those teams will have to replace a lot of key players.  WA graduated almost their entire pitching staff.  

Here's some players to watch (around my area), 

Chris Villamin-Ledford

Austin St. Laurent-Western Alamance

Coby Ingle-Rockingham Co.

Caleb Cozart-Wesleyan

Trevor Marsh-Asheboro

Ryan Douglas-SE Guilford

Drew Needham-Providence Grove

Alex Gowda-Eastern Guilford

Nick Neal-Randleman

Joey Razak-NW Guilford

Figure that might get the ball rollin' a little.......

Hey...

Team down the road (that beat a few of those players' squads last year) returns almost entire starting lineup and pitching staff...

Two of those they lost were kind of important though (yeah I'm partial but if it's true it's true)...😁

• Like 1

I haven't forgotten about our alma mater😄.   Hopefully,  they'll have what it takes to challenge orange/blue.  I hope PG does as well....but....they lost quite a few arms.  

And yes, ER will miss Mr. Kidd.  

• Thanks 1

NW Guilford has more than just Rezek

2019 Tim Cao RHP (NC State)

2019 Ethan Blanchard RHP/IF/OF (Navy)

2020 Houston Summers RHP/IF (UNC)

2020 Gavin Mortenson IF (WCU)

Just announced  that NW Guilford will participate in tne National High School Invitational in Cary this year as well!

• Like 1

Central Piedmont Conference should be a loaded gauntlet again this year.  Most everyone returns their main two starting pitchers except East Forsyth and RJ Reynolds.  Last year CPC featured 3 teams of the final 4 in the western part of the 4A playoffs.  

Davie (lost in 1st round to Richmond County in 2018)

Carson Whisenhunt 2019 LHP (ECU)

Garrett Chandler 2020 OF (ECU)

Michael Shelton 2019 IF (Radford)

West Forsyth (lost in 4th round to Ardrey Kell in 2018)

Peyton Idol 2019 IF (App State)

Connor Monroe 2020 RHP (NC State)

Brendan Cuthrull 2019 C (Guilford College)

Reagan (lost in 4th round to East Forsyth in 2018)

Josh Hartle LHP/1B 2021 (Wake Forest)

Danny Beal RHP 2020 (ECU)

David Asbill OF 2019 (WSSU)

CJ Boyd IF 2020 (ECU)

Carter Boyd RHP 2022 (Florida)

East Forsyth (lost in Western Final to Ardrey Kell in 2018)

Danny Fish 2019 IF (Gardner Webb)

Noah Robinson 2019 C (WSSU)

Hunter Hutchens 2019 OF/RHP (UNCG)

Jackson May 2019 OF (Winthrop)

Matt Rivers 2019 IF/RHP (Gardner Webb)

Kameron Evans 2019 RHP/IF (WSSU)

Xavier Isaac 2021 IF/OF/LHP (2022)

Glenn (did not make playoffs...should be a lot better this year with majority of players being juniors)

Chase Wallen 2019 OF (Methodist)

Tanner Bray 2020 IF 

Michael Carico 2020 C

Duncan Howard 2020 RHP

Garrett Horn 2021 LHP

RJ Reynolds

Luke Stephans 2019 RHP/IF (Wofford)

Elijah Knight 2019 OF (Guilford College)

• Like 1

Looks like once again the CPC will be one of the best (if not THE best) 4A baseball conferences in the state.  No off nights in that league.  Reagan looks good for this year - but can you imagine them in 2020 with Hartle, Beal, and Boyd on the mound?!?!  Unreal talent!!!

5 hours ago, NWWatchdog said:

Looks like once again the CPC will be one of the best (if not THE best) 4A baseball conferences in the state.  No off nights in that league.  Reagan looks good for this year - but can you imagine them in 2020 with Hartle, Beal, and Boyd on the mound?!?!  Unreal talent!!!

I always love playing Davie but there a UP n Down team in that area bc some team they have are really good n some are not as good but their a good team 

there conference is BRUTAL n i do think its one IF NOT the TOUGHEST Baseball conference 

Western Highlands Conference should have defending champ Polk County returning a good squad, even though they lost the player of the year from last season. Madison High had a good young team last year and should improve and make some noise this year with some good experience. Seems like they started 7 sophomores in a lot of games. Mitchell will be a good team again but lost one of their top pitchers in Jenkins last year. They do return a very good pitcher in Caleb Pritchard from last years squad and a returner from Asheville High in Zeus Ponder to give them added depth and a position player as well. They should be able to make some noise. Mtn. Heritage (runner up from last year) will have to replace about 8 seniors lost and most of them started or contributed last year. Do have possibly 3-4 returning starters and will have to develop pitching depth this year. Avery had a tough season last year but had some younger players that should help them show good improvment this year. I also think they may have a new head coach this year as well. Owen had some good young talent and should have a good season but also lost some upperclassmen that will hurt on the mound and at the plate. Should be an interesting season in the WHC.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, Eagles 1313 said:

NW Guilford has more than just Rezek

2019 Tim Cao RHP (NC State)

2019 Ethan Blanchard RHP/IF/OF (Navy)

2020 Houston Summers RHP/IF (UNC)

2020 Gavin Mortenson IF (WCU)

Just announced  that NW Guilford will participate in tne National High School Invitational in Cary this year as well!

That is awesome.  Hopefully they'll have a great showing. 

Was Mortenson the real big guy who also pitched? He's the only name I remember out of those four.  I'll have to watch NWG a little more this year. 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, Eagles 1313 said:

Central Piedmont Conference should be a loaded gauntlet again this year.  Most everyone returns their main two starting pitchers except East Forsyth and RJ Reynolds.  Last year CPC featured 3 teams of the final 4 in the western part of the 4A playoffs.  

Davie (lost in 1st round to Richmond County in 2018)

Carson Whisenhunt 2019 LHP (ECU)

Garrett Chandler 2020 OF (ECU)

Michael Shelton 2019 IF (Radford)

West Forsyth (lost in 4th round to Ardrey Kell in 2018)

Peyton Idol 2019 IF (App State)

Connor Monroe 2020 RHP (NC State)

Brendan Cuthrull 2019 C (Guilford College)

Reagan (lost in 4th round to East Forsyth in 2018)

Josh Hartle LHP/1B 2021 (Wake Forest)

Danny Beal RHP 2020 (ECU)

David Asbill OF 2019 (WSSU)

CJ Boyd IF 2020 (ECU)

Carter Boyd RHP 2022 (Florida)

East Forsyth (lost in Western Final to Ardrey Kell in 2018)

Danny Fish 2019 IF (Gardner Webb)

Noah Robinson 2019 C (WSSU)

Hunter Hutchens 2019 OF/RHP (UNCG)

Jackson May 2019 OF (Winthrop)

Matt Rivers 2019 IF/RHP (Gardner Webb)

Kameron Evans 2019 RHP/IF (WSSU)

Xavier Isaac 2021 IF/OF/LHP (2022)

Glenn (did not make playoffs...should be a lot better this year with majority of players being juniors)

Chase Wallen 2019 OF (Methodist)

Tanner Bray 2020 IF 

Michael Carico 2020 C

Duncan Howard 2020 RHP

Garrett Horn 2021 LHP

RJ Reynolds

Luke Stephans 2019 RHP/IF (Wofford)

Elijah Knight 2019 OF (Guilford College)

Great stuff, man.  The C Piedmont looks like it'll be the conference to watch.  I wonder if the Hartle kid for Reagan is related to the two Hartles that played basketball around five/six years ago.  

It also looks like East Carolina and Winston Salem State keep an eye on this conference quite a bit. 

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero

After back to back trips to the State Title series, Crest lost several big time players last year.  They do return a solid core and need some of their very talented young pups to step into bigger roles.  Should be another exciting year of baseball in Charger land.

I believe this Hartle is a cousin to those Hartles.  Mortensen was a piece to their team (NW Guilford) last year but I don't think he pitched.  Cao, Blanchard, and Summers were their main three guys with Egloff (graduated) being their 4th if I remember correctly.

Triad is still a hot bed for baseball talent.  You are correct about ECU and Winston Salem State having hands all in the CPC.  I just hope Mother Nature cooperates a little bit with us over the next couple of weeks because as typical spring season begins, the weather gets colder and wetter.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, Eagles 1313 said:

I believe this Hartle is a cousin to those Hartles.  Mortensen was a piece to their team (NW Guilford) last year but I don't think he pitched.  Cao, Blanchard, and Summers were their main three guys with Egloff (graduated) being their 4th if I remember correctly.

Triad is still a hot bed for baseball talent.  You are correct about ECU and Winston Salem State having hands all in the CPC.  I just hope Mother Nature cooperates a little bit with us over the next couple of weeks because as typical spring season begins, the weather gets colder and wetter.

Yep, those early season games are the worst.  My sophomore year, we played a game over at Western Alamance in late February.  It was so cold that we built a fire in a nearby garbage can to keep warm.  

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Yep, those early season games are the worst.  My sophomore year, we played a game over at Western Alamance in late February.  It was so cold that we built a fire in a nearby garbage can to keep warm.  

Now now...

You know that fire wasn't discovered until your Senior year...

C'mon man...😁

• Haha 1

Crazy thing is that

30 minutes ago, thekidd12 said:

Now now...

You know that fire wasn't discovered until your Senior year...

C'mon man...😁

I can remember that (but can't remember what I did two days ago.....)

I'm sitting here looking at ER's schedule.  We got some interesting additions.  ER plays RJ Reynolds on April 17 then Northern Guilford a couple days later.  Should be tough tests.  They also take an early trip to Kannapolis to play NW Cabarrus and AL Brown.  It's nice to see some different names on the schedule.  

• Like 1

PG's also got a couple of tough non-conference foes.  On March 1, they travel to Forest Oaks.  On April 11, they head to K-Vegas to take on East Forsyth.  EF kicked PG's tail last year.  

27 minutes ago, Chute Boxe Hero said:

Crazy thing is that

I can remember that (but can't remember what I did two days ago.....)

I'm sitting here looking at ER's schedule.  We got some interesting additions.  ER plays RJ Reynolds on April 17 then Northern Guilford a couple days later.  Should be tough tests.  They also take an early trip to Kannapolis to play NW Cabarrus and AL Brown.  It's nice to see some different names on the schedule.  

Yeah I may have mentioned to coach that last year's schedule was tough because almost entire non-conference was made up of 3A/4A teams (unlike another county team who plays mostly 2A/1A in theirs and as a result have a lineup all hitting .400 at end of year) and made for a lovely MaxPreps ranking...

So he added more 3A/4A teams. Should be good test of what they have though.

Oh PG and ER play twice early in March again. That will be fun.

Green and gold should have beaten the co-champions three times LAST year but at least got one and scared our northern brethren to death in other two.

Is it baseball season yet?

In the Northwestern part of the state:

Mountain Valley 1A/2A

West Wilkes are the returning champs, dominating the 2018 conference season with a 13-1 record (21-5 overall).  They should be the preseason favorite for the MVAC.  The Blackhawks will be challenged by Wilkes Central, led by ECU commit Skylar Brooks.  In the 1A teams from the conference, Starmount and East Wilkes look to be the top returning teams.  East Wilkes advanced to the 3rd Rd of the state playoffs last year, but must replace Bryce Vestal.  Starmount was junior dominant last year and should be very competitive with a senior led squad this season.

Western Piedmont 2A

Forbush are the returning champs, winning a very competitive conference with a 11-1 record (22-6 overall).  They were challenged by North Surry (9-3) and Walkertown (9-3) last season and this season looks to see those same 3 teams battle for the conference title.  Forbush returns Tallon Flynn (UNCA commit) while North Surry features Mason Gwyn (UNC Charlotte commit).  Also keep an eye on Walkertown junior Corbin Lanowitz and West Stokes junior Jacob Mabe.

Northwest 1A

East Surry are the returning champs from 2018 (7-1 in conf, 23-3 overall).  They will be led by returning senior AJ Wilson (ECU commit).  The Cardinals will face strong challenges from North Stokes led by Jake Craddock (Belmont Abbey commit), South Stokes led by Shemar Dalton (NC A&T commit), and Mt.Airy led by Alex Hall (NC A&T commit) and Luke Welch (North Greenville commit).

I am no expert but am old and like baseball so here's my take on 2A PAC7:

Should be an interesting year.

Favorite as usual is Randleman returning several starters as well as most of their pitching staff.

Providence Grove, winner of end of season tournament, will have to replace top two arms, top three hitters, as well as SS who tore ACL in football (Hate it for him a fine young man).

Wheatmore is interesting in that they bring back most of a young squad from last year with good arms in rotation.

Eastern Randolph lost three starters including their 2 and 3 hitters , one I care for quite a bit, however should be much deeper in pitching staff this season.

Jordan Mathews was very young and returns almost everyone from a team that surprised in some wins last year.

Trinity lost quite a bit but has good coaching.

Andrews is well, Andrews.

I think conference will be a three team race this year between Randleman, Wheatmore and Eastern Randolph. I know I am biased but if ER gets the arms they have some run support they could make a good run. However shouldn't overlook JM which could throw a wrench in everybody's season.

Forecast for next week is cold and wet so it must be about baseball time. Going to be odd for me personally to watch games and not be sitting on edge of seat when mine comes to plate.

It was a fun ride though.

Now that we are to the point where almost everybody has played a few conference games, I will soon start to check scores every day and work on potential bracketology for 1A & 2A as the playoffs get closer....over here at South Granville, we have been off to a slow start, sitting at 3-6 and 2-4 in conference play....definitely lost to graduation from last year's team that made it 4th round and lost to eventual state champion Whiteville in extra innings....the guys that did return and a couple of newcomers have been in every game; they say it's just part of baseball when you lose a close one where the ball just didn't bounce your way or an error or mental mistake or questionable call comes back to haunt you but we've seen that time after time after time in these six losses...in both road losses to county rivals JF Webb & Granville Central, we lost by one run, in which multiple errors in the 1st inning led to a flurry of unearned runs that proved to be too much to overcome...in the two conference losses to Bunn, in the road game, our starter had a no-hitter through 4 innings but our bats never woke up to drive in any runs, despite out-hitting the home team; and their one big inning late proved decisive...in our home against Bunn, SG led 2-1 in 6th and allowed a big inning...also 2 tough losses to Nash Central, at home led 6-0 in 5th and went on to lose 10-6 on a flurry of walks, hit batters, and a couple of hits, on the road, it was much like the Bunn game when it felt like a pitchers duel for a while, but the home team eventually prevailed with a big inning late...all three of our wins were 5 inning games at home, two of them against those county rivals that we lost to on the road by one run thanks to unearned runs, and one against Carrboro, who is very, very young this year...long way to go this season, hoping the Vikings can get to the playoffs, and then you see what happens...Northern Carolina 1A/2A conference race taken some crazy turns already with Louisburg sitting at 5-0 in first place right now, with a win over Roanoke Rapids, and Bunn's only loss was to Roanoke Rapids, who they beat by one run at home, but lost by 10 runs on the road...RR & Lou haven't played their second game yet thanks to weather, whoever finishes first might have 2 or 3 losses by the end

I don’t keep up with HS baseball. But who are your State contenders with the 1A-4A. Or let say the power houses of HS baseball.