Sign in to follow this  
SPRaiders78

Larry Dowdy

Rate this topic

Has anyone heard weather #72  Larry Dowdy is still committed to Ga. Tech. The triple option is gone. I was just wondering if he would be as well.

On another note. Phil Tate has retired from coaching at South Point.  Dying breed (50+ years of coaching). South Point program will miss a good man.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:59 PM, EGFAN75 said:

On another note. Phil Tate has retired from coaching at South Point.  Dying breed (50+ years of coaching). South Point program will miss a good man.

As good a football coach as Coach Tate is; he is a better baseball coach. He should have been in the dugout for years.

The coaching staff at South Point just became light-years younger. Coach Tate will be tough to replace.

South Point was not as good in 2018 as 2017. My bet is, they will not be as good in 2019 as 2018. With the loss of Coach Tate, that will probably cost them a little more. 

East Rutherford lost a ton to graduation. Therefore I don't see much competition there. I don't know what to expect from Burns, I know they surprised Shelby last year. and I don't think anyone else in conference will be a problem in 2019.

South Point will most likely still be the #2 team in conference but as in the last couple years, second round is about all I expect to see from them in 2019.

BACK TO THE TOPIC:.           It will be interesting to see where Larry ends up. I would prefer to see him land at an established program. UNC may turn things around quickly but if I were in Larry's shoes, I would want to go somewhere more likely to be bowl eligible. And you are correct, I am not a Tar Heel fan but I pull for South Point graduates wherever they land, even if it's Clemson.

Phil and I have been friends since 1963 when we were in college together. It is ironic that he and I retired the same year.

Congratulations Mr. Dowdy, I hope you will be happy in Boone. I don't think y'all will be contending for a National Championship up there, but that wasn't going to happen at Ga. Tech either. Bowl appearances, now thats anouther story.

Excellent choice. As an App State fan I think he contributes to the future.