Sign in to follow this  
MooresvilleDevil06

Sam Howell flips to UNC

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, GDG said:

He can wait his turn and in two years be Mack's recruit to start. 

He will be in the mix for the starting spot day one.  Whether he can outplay the others is speculation but he will get the opportunity.

• Like 1

How anyone can celebrate this is beyond me. The Howell family strung FSU along for an entire year and made sure they didn;t recruit another QB. He wouldn't decommit to hold a spot knowing good and well he wasn;t going to FSU. So when schools play games with these kids remember all these games the kids and parents play with the schools.  How you can be committed to a school, but have a decision just reeks of selfishness. This shouldn't be celebrated in any type of way. Just another case of a father living through his son and pushing an agenda and being disingenuous to the school he is supposedly "committed" to. Then we wonder why everythig is fake news and lies. This is exhibit 1. 

20 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

How anyone can celebrate this is beyond me. The Howell family strung FSU along for an entire year and made sure they didn;t recruit another QB. He wouldn't decommit to hold a spot knowing good and well he wasn;t going to FSU. So when schools play games with these kids remember all these games the kids and parents play with the schools.  How you can be committed to a school, but have a decision just reeks of selfishness. This shouldn't be celebrated in any type of way. Just another case of a father living through his son and pushing an agenda and being disingenuous to the school he is supposedly "committed" to. Then we wonder why everythig is fake news and lies. This is exhibit 1. 

Hard to look at the FSU situation as it has evolved over this year and feel good about " committing". Bell leaving changes the dynamic and I dont believe Taggert has named a OC yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

That's FSU fault for not recruiting another quarterback. Kids decommit all the time on Signing Day from one school to another.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

You are kidding right??  Walt Bell had no problem bolting after arguably seeing a really bad movie in its beginning scenes. . Coaches use kids all the time wait until they sign and then bolt for another job leaving the kid with prospect of a year sitting if they leave. A kid and his family have one shot at leverage and this is the time have zero issue with the decision. There are a lot of kids out there with no stars who can play hold your Coaches and recruiting staff accountable to replace him. 

• Like 3

OK, so I guess 2-9 season was much better? The Howells lied and mislead. You dont commit and demand that no other QB be recruited when you have no intention on holding onto that commit. Its childish. Walt Bell bolted from Ark state , bolted from UMD, bolted to UMASS. But along the way was vying for a spot on UNC staff til Fedora got fired. Wallt was goign to be fired for his part in the crappy product at FSU. Funny how UNC named an OC just about the same time FSU got theirs. They had no intention on going to FSU. You call it leverage. I call it lying.  

Be a man and be upfront. Decommit and say I'm looking elsewhere, not I'm committed and coming and then have an announcement. Thats bush league. 

Walt Bell wasn't even allowed to call plays.  The only person to blame for the sh*tshow that was FSU is Willie Taggert.  He is also to blame for the loss of Sam Howell, considering the first time he traveled to meet the young man was a month ago.  College Football is a business, when coaches leave, players often leave as well.  Sounds like someone is a little upset that a young man made a decision that he thought was best for himself and his family.  The fact that people get on these message boards and bash young men is embarrassing.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, J-Heat1110 said:

OK, so I guess 2-9 season was much better? The Howells lied and mislead. You dont commit and demand that no other QB be recruited when you have no intention on holding onto that commit. Its childish. Walt Bell bolted from Ark state , bolted from UMD, bolted to UMASS. But along the way was vying for a spot on UNC staff til Fedora got fired. Wallt was goign to be fired for his part in the crappy product at FSU. Funny how UNC named an OC just about the same time FSU got theirs. They had no intention on going to FSU. You call it leverage. I call it lying.  

Be a man and be upfront. Decommit and say I'm looking elsewhere, not I'm committed and coming and then have an announcement. Thats bush league. 

Cry about it. 

I don't know about the process in which Howell made his decision, but a kids college choice should be all about what's best for him and no one else. Coaches are only family until the next opportunity comes available. Than they're on to the next adventure.  I remember Charlie Weis visiting DJ Humphries telling him he couldn't wait to coach him at Florida. 2 Days later he was on the podium excepting the head coaching job at Kansas. You think he didn't know he was on his way to Kansas? Of course he did. These coaches will say and do anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. Than they pretty much own you for the next 4 to 5 years. Your college choice should be one of the most selfish choices you make in your life.  Make it about you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Curious if that was the conversation Willie had when he left Oregon after a year. Was he committed and upfront?

Willie Taggert has made a mess of Florida State recruiting. Didn’t recruit QBs last year. Letting a couple transfer out. Now not sealing the deal on two recruits which includes Howell. Howell was recruited by the OC and now he is gone. Taggert should have been the front man on getting a highly ranked QB but instead he waited until it was actually crisis mode to contact Howell. It’s all on the coach. Most believe Taggert is history by next year and any parent would advise their child to stay clear of a future coaching change.

Early commits are no guarantee. Coaches staying your length of eligibility is no guarantee. Blame the universities for kids decommits because they are the people hiring and firing before contracts are complete. Blame the coaches for leaving before contracts are complete. Kids have the least options in scholarships once they sign. Better to decommit than be stuck in a bad climate or have to sit for a year.

Howell followed the rules. His parents advised him what they thought was best. Mack Brown made another attempt and got his man. Willie lost another one. Looks like Mack Brown/staff are off to a quick start and capitalizing on others failures.

Taggart will be find. FSU has another QB  4 star from Louisiana that committ. Thing that people miss is Jimbo left FSU in a complete MESS. Jimbo last year FSU went 6-6 beat Southern Mississippi in a bowl game. Taggart will have FSU rolling.

Personally I'm glad Sam choose UNC. Having a Quality UNC team in the ACC makes the ACC fun and better conference. Mack is just getting started. He will lock down the state within 3 years

7 hours ago, J-Heat1110 said:

Once again you have to be kidding. These schools have there pick of kids and every rule known to man to keep them once they sign. “Be a man” really. He made a “man” decision until a contract was signed he was an unrestricted free agent. Coaches lie all the way up until signing day to kids all across the country to maximize the quality of there class the better liars who work the road get the best kids. I guess Mack has not forgotten how to lie 😂

2 hours ago, El Campion said:

Taggart will be find. FSU has another QB  4 star from Louisiana that committ. Thing that people miss is Jimbo left FSU in a complete MESS. Jimbo last year FSU went 6-6 beat Southern Mississippi in a bowl game. Taggart will have FSU rolling.

Personally I'm glad Sam choose UNC. Having a Quality UNC team in the ACC makes the ACC fun and better conference. Mack is just getting started. He will lock down the state within 3 years

I would have to disagree with you on the rebound of UNC. There is a gap right now that will take them at least 4 years minimum to recover. I question the depth of the defensive players and  defensive staff especially the secondarly coaching. The OL has to be developed lots of young guys in a position group that is not plug and play. UNC’s strength and conditioning program has failed them the last two years.... that many injuries screams lack of physical preparation because the majority of the body mass and flexibility build up is about injury prevention. Long way to go before they will compete for a New Year’s Day Bowl let alone final 4 or possibly 8 

13 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

I would have to disagree with you on the rebound of UNC. There is a gap right now that will take them at least 4 years minimum to recover. I question the depth of the defensive players and  defensive staff especially the secondarly coaching. The OL has to be developed lots of young guys in a position group that is not plug and play. UNC’s strength and conditioning program has failed them the last two years.... that many injuries screams lack of physical preparation because the majority of the body mass and flexibility build up is about injury prevention. Long way to go before they will compete for a New Year’s Day Bowl let alone final 4 or possibly 8 

I figure it will take 2 to 3 years for him to get them back to where they need to be.

1 hour ago, 84k said:

I figure it will take 2 to 3 years for him to get them back to where they need to be.

2-3 years if everything breaks right. Lot of apples in the Howell basket. What if he sucks??? Now the skill guys disapear quickly. 2 years ago Suratt was the heir apparent....now he is a back up OLB.

11 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

Baby steps. Couldn't be more happier with what Mack and his staff have done thus far. 

10 hours ago, Wrigley said:

2-3 years if everything breaks right. Lot of apples in the Howell basket. What if he sucks??? Now the skill guys disapear quickly. 2 years ago Suratt was the heir apparent....now he is a back up OLB.

I don't know about a lot of apples as both the freshman looked pretty good to me. 

6 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

I don't know about a lot of apples as both the freshman looked pretty good to me. 

If Howell is strong coming in the door I expect one of the two to transfer.

5 hours ago, 84k said:

Both Freshman looked better than the other two.

Elliotte is a solid student athlete but does not have the physical tools to play at the FBS level.