Chris Hughes

2AA East: North Davidson 24, Ledford 7

Rate this topic

Fan Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance to the finals?

• Ledford
    • North Davidson

Talking about a defensive battle between  the two. Last time they met was earlier in the season with Ledford winning 9-7. N. Davidson had a chance to win with a field goal but missed. I look for the same type of game as being a hard fought defensive game. 

• Like 1

I also mentioned earlier in the season that I would love to see a matchup with Hibriten and N. Davidson going at it. And it could but it could be Ledford. Shelby,  N. Davidson, Hibriten any of the four. 

• Like 1

Well we sent the east two teams and look we have four West teams in the final four. We claim a West title regardless in the championship game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ledford struggles offensively and I’ve said all year that no matter how good that defense is, and it is damn good, but their lack of offense would get them beat in the playoffs and I think that time has come this week.  North should have won the first game.  Stalled twice inside the 5 trying to be cute and throw the ball rather than run it in and also missed a FG to win it.  

• Like 1

@Chute Boxe Hero

The listed capacity for Panther Stadium is 6000, too bad the parking situation doesn’t have that! I pity the folk living on John Green Rd; hopefully they will have the gate to Friendship Elementary unlocked as that should open up some space off the street.

• Like 2

Davidson County hasn’t had a game of this magnitude since Lexington and Thomasville we’re in their heyday at the same time. If the first contest is any indication, it will be a low scoring defensive struggle where yards and points will be at a premium. Both teams have to clean up the penalties as both have been prone to make them in abundance this year. ND has the experience of a deep playoff run from last year. LHS is making their first run at it. Whoever builds a 7+ point lead wins because I don’t see either defense giving up that cushion. 

Gotta say I'm a little surprised at the poll results so far.  Looks like no one has much confidence in Ledford.  I'm guessing everyone thought their win was a fluke?  I'm just curious.....I haven't seen either team play.  

• Like 1

@Chute Boxe Hero 

I don't think Ledford's win in the first game was a fluke. ND had a chance to win, made some questionable decisions at the end squandering their opportunities to win it. Ledford did what they needed to do. Ledford has an elite-level, championship defense. Their offense, however, is erratic at best. Mix an inconsistent passing attack with a limited running game and, offensively, the Panthers are hard to watch at times. They are the epitome of winning ugly. But they do win and that cannot be taken away from them. They have earned their way into this position and could possibly take Round 2 from ND. At this time of the year, style points mean nothing. A victory by 1 is the same as a victory by 50. Win and move on. As for ND they were expected to be in this position the moment they dropped from 4A. Also, they have placed more student-athletes at the next level (Tuttle @ Tennessee, McCoy @ WVU, Dunn @ NCSU are three that come to mind) which helps their reputation as a football school. This ND team is not the one from the last few years though. Offensive production has been inconsistent at best. They've been explosive against less-than-stellar competition but haven't generated much against better teams. ND did beat a Mount Tabor squad also in the state semifinals. Team discipline (i.e penalties, mental mistakes, etc. not kids getting in trouble) has been a struggle for ND this year. Defensively, they are elite. Many of the points they allow come late in games which can be misleading if just looking at the final score. 

Winning two games in one year against a rival is very difficult to do. In many cases, the second game rarely resembles the first one. However, this Ledford-ND game has all the makings of the first matchup - defense, low-scoring. I have confidence Ledford can win. I'm not sure they will. I don't trust their offense.  

• Like 2

I saw N. Davidson play at Salisbury. It was no contest. N. Davidson QB has an arm that can sling the ball. Has some tall players and the defense can shut  the run down good. As stated above penalties could haunt them especially when up against really good teams. 

@SPRaiders78

The Hibriten-Shelby crowd definitely outnumbers the Ledford-ND crowd. Shelby and Hibriten have greater name recognition across the state. Both have won title(s), both have played in late season games that matter. ND-Ledford lack that statewide recognition. Ledford only has five seasons of 10+ wins since the school opened in 1957. Prior to this year they have never made it past the 3rd Round. As a result, they lack an online presence, much less a following the statue of Shelby or Hibriten. ND has some recognition; I think most of their online presence is on ncpreps.com. But hey, this thread is up to 14 replies!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

2AA West 90, 2AA East 11. Y'all ain't got much to say about your boys do you?

Now I get it...

You were talking about posts!!!

Thought there was an all star game or something for a minute...

Also Ledford does not have many big mouths online(and I am including myself in that) and ND is most always respectful of their opponents so...

11 yeah that's probably about enough...😁

My guys lost out in the second round but I enjoy trying to stir up the fans of other schools. My posts would make you think I favor the western teams but to tell you the truth, my guys aren't in it so it don't matter to me. I just like to hear others talking up their kids. Good luck to everyone still playing. A state championship is something the kids will remember the rest of their lives.

Edited by SPRaiders78
Spell check, check
  • Like 1

I think Ledford runs a loose version of the chicken leg and ND spreads it out and runs the gnat wing. From what I've been told, they are both very effective. If you guys get past Shelby you'll have your hands full trying to stop either one.

• Haha 1

@HHS2003BEAM 

This game is a study in contrasts respective to the Ledford and North Davidson offenses.

Ledford:

Offensively they run a read-option type offense with a lot of jet sweeps and a power-read concept off the jet sweep. They use zone blocking most often. The QB is a better runner than thrower. They want him to run, calling his number frequently. They will take their shots down the field when opportunities present themselves. They will not throw the ball 15-20 times a game, more in the 10-15 range depending on the flow of the game. Ledford does not attempt to fool anyone; they are more, "Here's what we do and we think we can execute better than you can." They are physical, want to pound, and eventually break the opponents will. 

ND:

A modifed NZone system (designed by Noel Mazzone, current OC @ Arizona, former OC @ UCLA and aTm among other stops). They are no-huddle and will vary the tempo from play-to-play and drive-to-drive. They throw a ton of quicks (slant, fade, hitch, etc) plus a lot of screens to the flats. They want the DBs coming down hard to stop those quick throws which opens the DBs up to double moves. They will throw the intermediate and deep patterns as well. They do not ask their QB to be a runner. They want him to win with his arm and decision making, getting the ball to the playmakers. He will take off from time-to-time but not nearly as often as Ledford's QB. The run game is Inside Zone heavy with other schemes (power/counter) sprinkled in. The Knights can be explosive when all aspects are in sync. 

• Thanks 1

Ledford typically has a "competitive" football team, but not a powerhouse by any means.  The school has won multiple state titles, just none in football.

IMO, Ledford has struggled with advancing  in the playoffs due to playing teams that overwhelmed them athletically.

In regards to Hibriten/Shelby attendance.  Both are known for their football programs and people travel to watch traditionally strong programs.  However, Lenior and Shelby are much bigger towns than Wallburg (Ledford) and Welcome (North) haha...

Feels weird calling Ledford and North Davidson in the east.  Both schools are west of Highway 220/I-73, which splits the state.  The barbecue of choice in the area is Lexington style not eastern style.  Just don't sound right.

5 hours ago, redclayramblers said:

Feels weird calling Ledford and North Davidson in the east.  Both schools are west of Highway 220/I-73, which splits the state.  The barbecue of choice in the area is Lexington style not eastern style.  Just don't sound right.

Welcome to the world of split classifications in NC HS football......Reidsville was the East 2AA champion in 2002, 2003...runner up East rep in 2005...and East 2AA champion in 2007,2008,2009...Reidsville is located 22 miles North of Greensboro (wouldn't call that the Eastern part of NC)............