4A West Finals: East Forsyth 32, Porter Ridge 14

Rate this topic

Fan Poll   

29 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will advance to the finals?

• East Forsyth
    • Porter Ridge

I'll definitely be at this game because I like East Forsyth, and enjoy watching them in the scrimmage the short time the event displayed before the rain ran us up out there.

East Forsyth is very good on defense, and I'm sure their passing game is very decent. My only question is how well can East run the ball? If they can run it and avoid a one dimensional phase, they have a shot to win. I've saw PR already and they are good at running & throwing the ball. This game is going to be a classic I think.

• Like 1

Does Porter Ridge have a chance?  Have you seen these guys play or have you seen their schedule?  They are loaded with D-1 talent especially at QB and RB.  They call themselves a Triple Option team but as Page fans found out their QB has one of the best arms in the State.  Not only does Porter Ridge have a shot at winning this game in some predictions they could be favored by a point or 2.  They are that good and it will take all that East Forsyth has to beat them.  If East plays like they did against Grimsley on offense in the 1st half Porter Ridge will wear out their defense and East will lose.  I will take East because they are at home but this one will be close.

East Forsyth 32

Porter Ridge 31

• Like 3

I agree that Grayson McCall is probably the best quarterback that nobody has been talking about enough. East will have their hands full. 

I know common opponent doesn't really mean much especially in the playoffs. But East Forsyth handled Page with ease in late October. Whereas Porter Ridge had a dog fight with them. Another common opponent is RJ Reynolds with both teams pretty much blowing them out. Difference is RJR got most of their points in garbage time during East. The same can't be said about PR. I'm just grasping at something since I have no idea how good PR is. They've played teams like Myers Park close, but have lost games to Weddington and Sun Valley. When you don't know much about a team you look for anything. I wish real tape and not highlights was available to the fans.

With that being said, if East comes out like they have against most of their opponents this year, I see them winning by a couple of tds. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, forsythco said:

I know common opponent doesn't really mean much especially in the playoffs. But East Forsyth handled Page with ease in late October. Whereas Porter Ridge had a dog fight with them. Another common opponent is RJ Reynolds with both teams pretty much blowing them out. Difference is RJR got most of their points in garbage time during East. The same can't be said about PR. I'm just grasping at something since I have no idea how good PR is. They've played teams like Myers Park close, but have lost games to Weddington and Sun Valley. When you don't know much about a team you look for anything. I wish real tape and not highlights was available to the fans.

With that being said, if East comes out like they have against most of their opponents this year, I see them winning by a couple of tds. 

I agree with you but I saw Porter Ridge two weeks ago, they are no slouch. Their very good at stopping the run, and their not bad at defending the pass. This is why ask if East is good at running the ball. Because if they are not, it will result in a loss for East which I don't want.

12 hours ago, forsythco said:

Weddington and Sun Valley aren't slouches.  

43 minutes ago, HPCBison08 said:

I agree with you but I saw Porter Ridge two weeks ago, they are no slouch. Their very good at stopping the run, and their not bad at defending the pass. This is why ask if East is good at running the ball. Because if they are not, it will result in a loss for East which I don't want.

East is pretty good at running the football.  Ahmani Marshall might've been the strongest runner I saw all year.  Dude's a load.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, forsythco said:

To be completely honest with you, those were 2 different Page teams. The team that played against EF was in the middle of a disciplinary phase that happened this season after the forfeits and loss to Reagan. Page's coaches held out (suspended) the anchor of the defense for 3 games which included the EF game because of accumulated unsportsmanlike penalties. This drastically changed Page's ability to get anything done on defense against EF. Also, in the same timespan, Page's coaches also had everyone on the team play with no accessories including gloves, so this somewhat killed Page's usual swagger/moxie. Page was a shell of itself against EF this year. But make no mistake, I don't think it changes the outcome of the game, EF was simply better this year, but i do think it would have been a closer ballgame...

All that being said, I think EF is a 2 TD fav over PR. PR is very solid offensively, they run a great option and throw in different wrinkles to keep you from stacking the box, the QB has a good arm. The defense can be scored on though, which is where I think EF has the upper hand. EF has a better defense.

• Like 1

What are you talking about man?  Weddington plays in a state title or semi-final every year it seems.  They are as legit as any team in the State.  Sun Valley has one of the best QB's on the East Coast who's going to Florida State.  Those are two teams that could beat anyone in the State.  East Forsyth will have all it can handle and then some.  If the East Forsyth offense plays like they did against Grimsley East will lose in the Semi Final again.  The East Forsyth Defense is really good but they are playing an option team not a spread team.  Look at the stats on Maxpreps Porter Ridge runs the ball on whoever they want to run the ball on.  Even in losses against Butler, Meyers Park, and Weddington PR still ran for 200+ yards.  East is good no doubt about it but they haven't played teams like that this year.  Their toughest game was against West Forsyth and IMO West Forsyth would get rolled by PR by 3 or 4 scores.  The more I watch PR Highlights on Hudl the more I think they maybe favored to win this game.   

• Like 1

Well well well.....here we go again.... Charlotte area team making its way up to EF for a regional final...😀. The HUMP is real...... Porter Ridge will be one of the most well coached teams anyone will play. Year in and year out they execute there defense and offense with minimal mistakes.  If they have a  disadvantage in any area they make up for it by rarely being out of position. They played physical football teams in the SW4A which has translated for them on the road in the playoffs.  It will be I think a close game the question is how does EF respond in the 4 th quarter? Lot of pressure and ghost.....

1 hour ago, Creekprogram said:

Well well well.....here we go again.... Charlotte area team making its way up to EF for a regional final...😀. The HUMP is real...... Porter Ridge will be one of the most well coached teams anyone will play. Year in and year out they execute there defense and offense with minimal mistakes.  If they have a  disadvantage in any area they make up for it by rarely being out of position. They played physical football teams in the SW4A which has translated for them on the road in the playoffs.  It will be I think a close game the question is how does EF respond in the 4 th quarter? Lot of pressure and ghost.....

minimal mistakes? Page intercepted PR 3 times and recovered 2 fumbles a few short weeks ago. They were also a dropped INT away from winning the game, as well.

I hear you @Warhead1 I really do. But I’m just not worried about them. Of course the players are. That’s they’re job. But the East Forsyth I’ve watch this year wins this by a couple tds.

You also have to remember that East vs Grismley was a rematch. We seen how Hough came and punched MC in the mouth. They were ready and Mallard Creek fell asleep. MC was the better team but I feel as if they underestimated their competition that night. Same for East. They started out slow against a familiar opponent. Luckily that opponent wasn’t in the same echelon as them. Porter Ridge is a new opponent for these players. They’re going to come out knowing they can’t make mistakes and that they can’t start slow. I am 100% confident that coach Willert will have them ready. 

As far as my comment on Weddington. I’m just comparing them on how I feel they would stack up against East. I feel as if East is on another level than all teams in the 3A including Charlotte Catholic. This is just my opinion based on what I’ve watch this year. So for anybody that reading this, don’t crucify East fans, players, coaching staff, etc... These are my words and my words only. Send that pressure my way. 

• Like 1

On December 2, 2018 at 1:18 PM, forsythco said:

Sun Valley and Weddington aren't opponents to sneeze at.  Weddington is still deep in the 3AA playoffs.

13 hours ago, JJ Barile said:

To be completely honest with you, those were 2 different Page teams. The team that played against EF was in the middle of a disciplinary phase that happened this season after the forfeits and loss to Reagan. Page's coaches held out (suspended) the anchor of the defense for 3 games which included the EF game because of accumulated unsportsmanlike penalties. This drastically changed Page's ability to get anything done on defense against EF. Also, in the same timespan, Page's coaches also had everyone on the team play with no accessories including gloves, so this somewhat killed Page's usual swagger/moxie. Page was a shell of itself against EF this year. But make no mistake, I don't think it changes the outcome of the game, EF was simply better this year, but i do think it would have been a closer ballgame...

All that being said, I think EF is a 2 TD fav over PR. PR is very solid offensively, they run a great option and throw in different wrinkles to keep you from stacking the box, the QB has a good arm. The defense can be scored on though, which is where I think EF has the upper hand. EF has a better defense.

I attended the Porter Ridge vs. Page match up two weeks ago, and the questions that kept popping up in my head was where is #3 Cody King? Was he suspended, sick, or did he wear another jersey number? I don't remember seeing him out there at all. That made a huge difference in Page passing game if he wasn't out there.

10 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

Hey, I know it's seeding but just a trivia type question.  Why is it, since 2012, when a Charlotte area team plays EF in the semis, it's always in Kernersville?

8 hours ago, forsythco said:

I hear you @Warhead1 I really do. But I’m just not worried about them. Of course the players are. That’s they’re job. But the East Forsyth I’ve watch this year wins this by a couple tds.

You also have to remember that East vs Grismley was a rematch. We seen how Hough came and punched MC in the mouth. They were ready and Mallard Creek fell asleep. MC was the better team but I feel as if they underestimated their competition that night. Same for East. They started out slow against a familiar opponent. Luckily that opponent wasn’t in the same echelon as them. Porter Ridge is a new opponent for these players. They’re going to come out knowing they can’t make mistakes and that they can’t start slow. I am 100% confident that coach Willert will have them ready. 

As far as my comment on Weddington. I’m just comparing them on how I feel they would stack up against East. I feel as if East is on another level than all teams in the 3A including Charlotte Catholic. This is just my opinion based on what I’ve watch this year. So for anybody that reading this, don’t crucify East fans, players, coaching staff, etc... These are my words and my words only. Send that pressure my way. 

That's ok, we here in the Charlotte area are used to hearing the EF buildup and hype.

10 minutes ago, HPCBison08 said:

I attended the Porter Ridge vs. Page match up two weeks ago, and the questions that kept popping up in my head was where is #3 Cody King? Was he suspended, sick, or did he wear another jersey number? I don't remember seeing him out there at all. That made a huge difference in Page passing game if he wasn't out there.

He played in the game.. Page just for some reason or another didn't get him the ball for the most part the last half of the season. The last game he scored a TD was against East Forsyth. before that game, he had 8 TDs.

6 minutes ago, JJ Barile said:

He played in the game.. Page just for some reason or another didn't get him the ball for the most part the last half of the season. The last game he scored a TD was against East Forsyth. before that game, he had 8 TDs.

Man they should have gotten him the ball more, but he might have been dealing with some issues or wasn't 100%. I don't know, I was hoping for Page vs. East Forsyth rematch.

Here's what I don't understand no one from EF, Forsyth Co etc.. as far as I can tell has disparaged anyone from Charlotte (Creek). There was no "hype" other than the rankings we received throughout the year. The only "hyped" teams I saw and deservedly so were Creek and Hough both of which should have full basketball rosters now for their respective schools. 

No one came for Meck Co. We understand until we get it done against you all and we know we blew it in 15 we need not say anything about anyone south of Davidson Co. named (Creek, Butler) So why then are we getting heat from "Charlotte homers"?

We're just trying to finally get over the hump against a Porter Ridge team who's more than capable. Some of you all ironing basketball and wrestling jerseys for the season and EF still coming out your mouths. That's comes off as "thirsty". 

We understand ya'll rocking with PR being they're from the area and they're all you have left. The question about why we're at home since 12 could be answered by my 5yr old son.  Trying to understand the intrigue with the Weddington and Sun Valley validation toward EF.

EF played a 3A team ALSO in Tabor who we beat by 21 and who Weddington will get all they want from too. 

It's already been stated we had to get over the mental aspect of rematching Glenn and Grimsley which are very familiar with us.

There will be no rematch hangover this Friday. This will be a new AND capable opponent this week. Our kids will play better and hope in the end it's enough. 

14 minutes ago, DaTrooth said:

Here's what I don't understand no one from EF, Forsyth Co etc.. as far as I can tell has disparaged anyone from Charlotte (Creek). There was no "hype" other than the rankings we received throughout the year. The only "hyped" teams I saw and deservedly so were Creek and Hough both of which should have full basketball rosters now for their respective schools. 

No one came for Meck Co. We understand until we get it done against you all and we know we blew it in 15 we need not say anything about anyone south of Davidson Co. named (Creek, Butler) So why then are we getting heat from "Charlotte homers"?

We're just trying to finally get over the hump against a Porter Ridge team who's more than capable. Some of you all ironing basketball and wrestling jerseys for the season and EF still coming out your mouths. That's comes off as "thirsty". 

We understand ya'll rocking with PR being they're from the area and they're all you have left. The question about why we're at home since 12 could be answered by my 5yr old son.  Trying to understand the intrigue with the Weddington and Sun Valley validation toward EF.

EF played a 3A team ALSO in Tabor who we beat by 21 and who Weddington will get all they want from too. 

It's already been stated we had to get over the mental aspect of rematching Glenn and Grimsley which are very familiar with us.

There will be no rematch hangover this Friday. This will be a new AND capable opponent this week. Our kids will play better and hope in the end it's enough. 

It's a Football forum! :) Some people believe EF is a shoe in for 4A State Champs, some don't.   People have different opinions. What exactly don't you understand about that?

22 minutes ago, work7 said:

It's a Football forum! :) Some people believe EF is a shoe in for 4A State Champs, some don't.   People have different opinions. What exactly don't you understand about that?

I'll make it plain this time. Charlotte posters coming for EF when no one hyped EF at all except for the rankings we earned.

It's become "sport" it seems for some to downplay EF whether it makes sense or not. You're correct it is a football forum and of course I can never say what someone can and can't say. I'm not attacking opinions but rather the logic. What hype and why directed at EF. I guarantee had PR been undefeated and EF had 4 losses we'd be at least a 2 TD underdog. Not surprised by some Charlotte contingent it's just at least other years it made sense after a loss.

I'm trying to understand the hype comments among other things. No one hyped up EF. 

We're being considered "hype" by posters of teams who are no longer playing is comical. 

Hope I explained better this time guy.