Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

3AA West Finals: Weddington 45, Mt. Tabor 12

Fan Poll   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance to the finals?

• Mount Tabor
    • Weddington

I’ll take mount Tabor at home. They have always defended the home turf well. They are a hot, confident team after winning nine straight. They are battle tested, fast, and well-coached 

• Like 2

This is gonna be a tough one for Tabor. I hear Weddington likes to run it a lot. I think Tabor has a better pass defense than rush defense so stopping them will be a challenge. But I'm pulling for the Spartans. They've been proving people wrong since the Parkland game. The adjustments they made to their team have really proven to be beneficial and I got faith in my boys. Tabor is really going to have to cut down on the penalties this game though. None of the bs against AC Reynolds can happen if we're going to win. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, forsythco said:

This is gonna be a tough one for Tabor. I hear Weddington likes to run it a lot. I think Tabor has a better pass defense than rush defense so stopping them will be a challenge. But I'm pulling for the Spartans. They've been proving people wrong since the Parkland game. The adjustments they made to their team have really proven to be beneficial and I got faith in my boys. Tabor is really going to have to cut down on the penalties this game though. None of the bs against AC Reynolds can happen if we're going to win. 

Weddington tends to have minimal penalties, and also has some fast receivers that can turn short gains into trips to the house.  The running game is very solid as well and utilizes about all of the skill players.   Defensively they are allowing about 12 pts per game.  

• Like 1

Several have mentioned Albright. He’s a phenomenal athlete. ACR had 2 turnovers inside their own 10 yd line. Add a safety from a player falling in the end zone, the ref deemed his body was in the end zone but the ball was not leading to a safety and net 16 points. Tabor had one legitimate drive the entire game. Weddington will not make the same mistakes as ACR. This one won’t be close.

• Like 1

Tabor controlled the entire game vs ACR minus a brief stretch in the 4th quarter. They deserved to win. Actually ACR was unable to take advantage of the opportunities given to them by Tabor. The two best teams in the West are going to battle it out on Friday in Winston-Salem. Weddington is understandably the favorite but they are far from unbeatable. I’m expecting a close game that will come down to critical plays in the 4th quarter 

• Like 1

If Weddington likes to run & does not keep it balanced against Mount Tabor's defense, it will lose. The last I checked Weddington was shut out by a very good Catholic defense, and trust me when I tell you that Mt Tabor defense is very fast & they get down hill quick with very little over-pursuing. I've seen Mount Tabor three times already this year & they have continued to improve every time I saw them. Now, if Weddington can air it out, & they can exploit Mt Tabor in the middle of the  field. Marvin Ridge had some success at times when it threw it across the middle.

8 minutes ago, HPCBison08 said:

If Weddington likes to run & does not keep it balanced against Mount Tabor's defense, it will lose. The last I checked Weddington was shut out by a very good Catholic defense, and trust me when I tell you that Mt Tabor defense is very fast & they get down hill quick with very little over-pursuing. I've seen Mount Tabor three times already this year & they have continued to improve every time I saw them. Now, if Weddington can air it out, & they can exploit Mt Tabor in the middle of the  field. Marvin Ridge had some success at times when it threw it across the middle.

This post is almost funny. Tabor managed only 27 pts on Marvin Ridge !!?? That’s pretty bad.  You must not know much about Weddington because they prefer to air it out . The last 2 weeks they haven’t had to.  If Tabor brings that 3 man front they won’t need to this week either. Put 4 or 5 on the line and they will torch you . Having speed and being fast is great. Weddington doesn’t look fast just plays fast.    Yes Catholic beat us 20-0 . Their defense dominated the game . We gave them the ball on our 10 twice. Tabors D does not even come close to Catholic. Here’s what you can count on . Weddington will do what you can’t stop 

• Like 1

Tabor controlled the entire game? It was 9-7 at the half. ACR legit scored opening drive and Tabor returned serve. Following kickoff was the safety. Tabor fans insinuate “refs cheating” when Tabor drives stall due to penalties. Albright gets free for big gains off the edge only negated by holding calls. Albright is explosive, really explosive when the ACR edge player is being turned 180 degrees with hands outside by blocking receiver. (Don’t reply, just watch the film) Tabor did a phenomenal job after turnover of second half kickoff on own 20 to block ACR field goal. ACR defense holds and Patterson followed by another ACR defense stand and Flinn score has ACR  in the lead late. Doesn’t sound like Tabor domination at this point?  ACR on their heals from a late Tabor drive. Goal line stand on 4th down. ACR contains Albright and Tabor turns over on downs. Game should have been over. ACR fumbles after RB runs into offensive lineman. Tabor scores on 4 and 1 to win with 30 seconds left. I don’t see the total dominance aforementioned. The out of this world explosive Tabor offense was in a 4 and 1 after getting the ball on the 6 yard line with the game on the line? Tabor won a hard fought crazy game. To say they dominated is asinine. Weddington won’t give you 16 points. No need to practice rushing their sideline and doing belly slides in celebration. Seriously, don’t be shocked when you lose by 30 in a regional final.

• Like 1

Gata88 let it go. It’s all about tabor vs Weddington. ACR had a great season but it’s over. The two best teams in the West are playing Friday in Winston-Salem. I look forward to a great regional final game. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, onioncfb1 said:

This post is almost funny. Tabor managed only 27 pts on Marvin Ridge !!?? That’s pretty bad.  You must not know much about Weddington because they prefer to air it out . The last 2 weeks they haven’t had to.  If Tabor brings that 3 man front they won’t need to this week either. Put 4 or 5 on the line and they will torch you . Having speed and being fast is great. Weddington doesn’t look fast just plays fast.    Yes Catholic beat us 20-0 . Their defense dominated the game . We gave them the ball on our 10 twice. Tabors D does not even come close to Catholic. Here’s what you can count on . Weddington will do what you can’t stop 

I'm counting on it, that is what any good coach would run "what you can’t stop". I'm not here for an argument but you have to look at how teams match up against each other. Yes Mount Tabor may not have the defense that Catholic possess, but they bring different match up problems overall. I will agree, if Tabor runs 34 against a team that can run the ball well, it will struggle. This could be said for any offense that is run heavy with a tight-end or two, or a flat out unbalance Wing-T such as Catholic's offense. I never understood why a lot of teams go with a 34 defense. Unless all three of your D-linemen beasts, & are Big, Solid, & can Bench Press over 300lbs & Squat 400lbs or more, why even come out in that as a base defense? Against a run heavy team, I'm thinking 43, 44, 53, or 62 base defenses. It's almost like High School is trying to play catch up with everything the Colleges & NFL does. Some of it is essential to this level of play but not all, & most definitely not excessively.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HPCBison08 said:

I'm counting on it, that is what any good coach would run "what you can’t stop". I'm not here for an argument but you have to look at how teams match up against each other. Yes Mount Tabor may not have the defense that Catholic possess, but they bring different match up problems overall. I will agree, if Tabor runs 34 against a team that can run the ball well, it will struggle. This could be said for any offense that is run heavy with a tight-end or two, or a flat out unbalance Wing-T such as Catholic's offense. I never understood why a lot of teams go with a 34 defense. Unless all three of your D-linemen beasts, & are Big, Solid, & can Bench Press over 300lbs & Squat 400lbs or more, why even come out in that as a base defense? Against a run heavy team, I'm thinking 43, 44, 53, or 62 base defenses. It's almost like High School is trying to play catch up with everything the Colleges & NFL does. Some of it is essential to this level of play but not all, & most definitely not excessively.

The 3-4 really helps their pass defense. But when ACR decided to start running heavy in the second half it took two possessions (possessions on which ACR scored) to change out of it. When the coach made the change, Reynolds didn’t sniff the end zone again. 

There’s not that much margin for error this game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forsythco said:

The 3-4 really helps their pass defense. But when ACR decided to start running heavy in the second half it took two possessions (possessions on which ACR scored) to change out of it. When the coach made the change, Reynolds didn’t sniff the end zone again. 

There’s not that much margin for error this game.

You are right, it does help with the passing game, but that should only be on third & long, or fourth in long. In other words, it should only be on passing downs. A good run team will eat the 34 up, the guards will blow the linebackers off the ball because of the lack of defensive linemen help.

• Like 1

On December 3, 2018 at 10:40 PM, nm2004 said:

Tabor controlled the entire game vs ACR minus a brief stretch in the 4th quarter. They deserved to win. Actually ACR was unable to take advantage of the opportunities given to them by Tabor. The two best teams in the West are going to battle it out on Friday in Winston-Salem. Weddington is understandably the favorite but they are far from unbeatable. I’m expecting a close game that will come down to critical plays in the 4th quarter 

They are far from unbeatable? Duh.  Catholic beat them 20-0.  But not Tabor.

• Like 1

On December 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM, HPCBison08 said:

Weddington does both.