Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

3A West Finals: Charlotte Catholic 30, Kings Mountain 7

Fan Poll   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who will advance to the finals?

• Charlotte Catholic
    • Kings Mountain

May have to venture down to Keffer for this game and to see some old friends.  KM quarterback had a helluva game with his feet and arm vs NW,,, any passing situation, 3rd and long, he was calm and throwed money darts to his receivers all night long,, couldve had 2 more TDs is it werent for drops by receivers.  With that said, hard to pick against the Popes boys,,, my early thoughts are CC by 14

Charlotte Catholic by 21. Kings Mountain gave up 38 points to Hunter Huss, the same team who only scored seven against CC. If KM matches up differently, than I could see a closer game but I doubt it.

• Thanks 1

Kings Mountain has had a great season, much better than I gave them credit for earlier in the season. However, this is where it ends yet again for the mountaineers who so long for at least one ring like their Cleveland County brethren. Once again...maybe next year.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 4:04 PM, HPCBison08 said:

Charlotte Catholic by 21. Kings Mountain gave up 38 points to Hunter Huss, the same team who only scored seven against CC. If KM matches up differently, than I could see a closer game but I doubt it.

Yes 14 of those points was on turnovers

• Like 1

Looks like you guys are tough .' Wow' no one pulling for KM I feel like KM will beat CC by at least 21 points .

They got alot better and more all like brothers now since playing Huss that time . Yes looks like they are all playing

like they are a power machine out there  . There defence  are big and will hit from all sides from what i have seen.

The Offence has so many ways to score on  CC that they want know whats hitting them. Just like NO CABARRUSS.

did , they did not know what hit them till it was to late to try to come back .SO here you go  KM  40

CC 28

For KM to win this game, they cannot leave points on the field.  If scoring opportunities happen, then take advantage.  Will not happen often vs Catholic defense. KM defense has been playing well as of late too.  This may be a low scoring game with the first team to 17 winning.

Playing at Keffer is a difficult task. With the wall coming into play anything wide is decision time. You better hope you don’t try to tight walk the sidelines. The closeness of the wall forces teams to play more toward the hash marks where Catholic loves to persue opponents. I’ve seen kids get busted hugging the sidelines and crash the wall like they were at Darlington International Speedway.

Edited by GDG

2 hours ago, GDG said:

Playing at Keffer is a difficult task. With the wall coming into play anything wide is decision time. You better hope you don’t try to tight walk the sidelines. The closeness of the wall forces teams to play more toward the hash marks where Catholic loves to persue opponents. I’ve seen kids get busted hugging the sidelines and crash the wall like they were at Darlington International Speedway.

No one has been injured going into the walk at Catholic since I have been there(2010) just to put that out there. 

In order for Kings Mountain to win this game, they will have to become discipline & take the points where ever they can get it. They can not and I mean can not line up in a 34 & expect the run defense to play up to the Unbalance level of Charlotte Catholic's offense which puts seven linemen spreading you out like.... I'm not saying KM runs a 34 defense though there are many teams across the state running it. I think five or six man front will due, and gap control, no over-pursuing, & they could take care of business on that side of the ball.

Now here is where I'm concern with Km is at offense. I don't know what they run & whether they are pass heavy or not. If KM is pass heavy than the game will be over by the beginning of the second half. Catholic is very discipline on defense as well as offense. They are not going to let you get behind them, and they have a small sideline that helps teams not play it deep outside the numbers. A team must run be balanced against Catholic; running it as much as passing it.  If I lived closer to Charlotte, I would have attended this game, but I feel deep down inside that Catholic is going to beat both KM & Havelock by a combined 35 points. Meaning KM will lose 28-14, & Havelock will lose 35-14. Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, btango said:

The wall at Catholic is back much farther than the visitor side at Robbinsville.

I've never been to Robbinsville but I have been to Catholic, & the wall always worried me but that is no excuse for a team to go down there & lose even though it is hard to win it there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btango said:

The wall at Catholic is back much farther than the visitor side at Robbinsville.

13 minutes ago, btango said:

I don’t see how that is possible. Guess I need to check out Robbinsville 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, onioncfb1 said:

I don’t see how that is possible. Guess I need to check out Robbinsville 

“Much farther” may be a bit of hyperbole but it is shockingly close.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sidelinemgr said:

Looks like you guys are tough .' Wow' no one pulling for KM I feel like KM will beat CC by at least 21 points .

They got alot better and more all like brothers now since playing Huss that time . Yes looks like they are all playing

like they are a power machine out there  . There defence  are big and will hit from all sides from what i have seen.

The Offence has so many ways to score on  CC that they want know whats hitting them. Just like NO CABARRUSS.

did , they did not know what hit them till it was to late to try to come back .SO here you go  KM  40

CC 28

From my many firsthand experiences I consider Catholic playing at Keffer the biggest homefield advantage in NC HS football.  Its probably worth 10 points before the game starts.  If Im correct, that means even if you consider your team equal to Catholic, you will lose by 10.

The only way Catholic loses at home is if the opponent is at least 10 points better

Sidelinemgr,,, do you honestly believe KM is 10 points better than Catholic??  

I watched KM vs NW,,, and i just dont think KM can play 2 perfect games in a row.  If KM goes into Keffer and beats Catholic, i will be the first to give them props and admit i was wrong

On 12/5/2018 at 9:31 PM, btango said:

“Much farther” may be a bit of hyperbole but it is shockingly close.

Sideline to wall on visitors side = 15 feet.

Not surprised Catholic won,,, i did figure KM would score at least twice after seeing them vs NW

Popes boys roll.  Hate i missed you last night Footie,,, i was at Keffer,, congrats on the win and another trip to the finals

• Thanks 1

Wow I was close on my prediction of 21 points except it was 23. Jacksonville is the last team standing in Charlotte Catholic's way of a repeat. NCHSAA website can be so confusing at times. I want to attend this game but I'm not sure which stadium it will be located at.

14 minutes ago, Footballaholic32 said:

You might want to check on that Havelock gig! Catholic has to worry about those Cardinals from Jacksonville.

Lol you're right, I already edited my comment because I saw that Havelock loss.