Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

4AA West: Vance 21, Myers Park 13

Rate this topic

Fan Poll  

31 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will advance to the finals?

    • Vance
      42
    • Myers Park
      54


Recommended Posts

Move for what? They earned the right to play at home. No reason for Vance to even entertain moving. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a precendent set for field review.  In 2001 Richmond complained about the playing surface at Laney HS and requested the game be moved to Wilmngton Legion Stadium.  Two different LEAs were obviousky involved.  Richmond sent a formal request to the NCHSAA over the weekend after the regional semi final games based on communication with other opposing coaches of Laney, including Scotland which played there in round one, and the Ricmond coaches that scouted Laney in the state quarterfinal game.  NCHSAA sent a couple of representatives from Chapel Hill and team representatives to inspect the surface that Tuesday.  Laney was required to make some improvements but the field was in bad shape.  Game was played at Laney and two high powered teams slugged it out to a 7-3 Laney win.  The Bucs would lose to Indy in Chapel Hill the next week (49-25) in the last non 1A game before subdividing was implemented for all classifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, btango said:

There is a precendent set for field review.  In 2001 Richmond complained about the playing surface at Laney HS and requested the game be moved to Wilmngton Legion Stadium.  Two different LEAs were obviousky involved.  Richmond sent a formal request to the NCHSAA over the weekend after the regional semi final games based on communication with other opposing coaches of Laney, including Scotland which played there in round one, and the Ricmond coaches that scouted Laney in the state quarterfinal game.  NCHSAA sent a couple of representatives from Chapel Hill and team representatives to inspect the surface that Tuesday.  Laney was required to make some improvements but the field was in bad shape.  Game was played at Laney and two high powered teams slugged it out to a 7-3 Laney win.  The Bucs would lose to Indy in Chapel Hill the next week (49-25) in the last non 1A game before subdividing was implemented for all classifications.

That's all in good but the field wasn't in bad shape compared to that first game..but that was 2 continuous days worth of rain..so any field not protected by a tarp will result like that after a game. Last Friday game even tho it rained wasn't in bad shape..hell if u asked me me it helped Hough more than us with our DBs slipping especially their last TD. Supposed 2 be dry all week and I think after tomorrow temperature s will b freezing will help make the field more playable if u ask me. If Harding was able to play their game home last yr in that atrocious field then we have no issues with ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the county AD could take it out of the schools hands and require it to be played at Memorial. Was thinking that was one of the many things that ticked Knotts off with how things were done in Mecklenburg county. Sources could have been misinformed or things may have changed since then. If there are no safety issues then it shouldn't even be considered teams earn the right to play at home.

Wet fields benefit offenses more than hinder them. Receivers know where they are going vs. DB's having to stick foot in ground and react. Gloves have negated the catching problem, you could scale a glass building with those things now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The field is very playable. Grass is pretty tore up from the 20's to the 40's in between the hashmarks but I have seen much worse. The Providence field that Butler/MC played on in the 2nd rd in 2015 was MUCH worse. Could you move the game to a turf field like MC or West Meck and make the conditions better?? Sure, but that should not be part of the decision making process. If it is safe for kids to play on ( and it is) then that should be the end of the conversation. Vance deserves a home game and a home crowd. Dress in their locker rooms and play on their field.

Should be an electric atmosphere on IBM drive on Friday night. Vance kids and coaches have earned that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to take a moment to congratulate Myers Park on a very well played game by them last Friday against my Raiders. Maye and #11 Bowick are the real deal. Ball got out quick before the pressure could get to Maye so nice job by OL slowing the rush enough. Their DL did a good job of keeping Hood from getting comfortable all night. Maye and receivers made several plays where i don't think they could have been defended any better just great pass and catch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea the field should be fine. I think most of us have played and succeeded on worse. 

 

Question though. How come Vance doesn’t have turf like the other schools in  Mecklenburg County? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, forsythco said:

Yea the field should be fine. I think most of us have played and succeeded on worse. 

 

Question though. How come Vance doesn’t have turf like the other schools in  Mecklenburg County? 

Most of all problems in life $$$$$

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill be pulling for the V team....The way the MP team trounced on the Raider diamond , with coaches watching , before the game really bothered me as a fan of the game...Just dont understand that kind of  attitude ...A lot of work went into that diamond for the fans of the game  to see and enjoy......To see kids at midfield trying to do their best to scuff it up before game  was just out of the ordinary....The MP kids group walking out yelling Richmond sucks and other things could have really caused some problems.....Ive watched the Raider games from the  sidelines for the last several   years....One person  for MP was up and down the sidelines and very verbal to both teams......We play  the Scots and Wake Forest at our place and you never see any of that type of things going on.....Someone better get control before something REALLY BAD HAPPENS....MP is a really good team with Maye at qb.....Im hearing he was a transfer, but he did appear to have some ability and class about him...A lot of that seems to be going on in the Charlotte area.....We have to play with what we have.....Oh well good luck with V, but I personally will pull for V after what I witnessed Friday...Just my opinion like everyone else..Is it true that MP has over 3500 students...Dang, if so, that's more than RCC, our Community College.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greengold4ever said:

I thought the county AD could take it out of the schools hands and require it to be played at Memorial. Was thinking that was one of the many things that ticked Knotts off with how things were done in Mecklenburg county. Sources could have been misinformed or things may have changed since then. If there are no safety issues then it shouldn't even be considered teams earn the right to play at home.

Wet fields benefit offenses more than hinder them. Receivers know where they are going vs. DB's having to stick foot in ground and react. Gloves have negated the catching problem, you could scale a glass building with those things now. 

The county AD can.  She does not seem to stir things up much so I would not expect her to.  My guess is if MP contacted the NCHSAA they would send it to the county AD for decision.  I noted that the Richmond v Laney was two separate LEAs.  

I played in the pre glove days.  Spray on Stickum was my game including the shoe for punting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, btango said:

The county AD can.  She does not seem to stir things up much so I would not expect her to.  My guess is if MP contacted the NCHSAA they would send it to the county AD for decision.  I noted that the Richmond v Laney was two separate LEAs.  

I played in the pre glove days.  Spray on Stickum was my game including the shoe for punting.

Stickum.  Now you're talking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 704cougarsdad said:

That's all in good but the field wasn't in bad shape compared to that first game..but that was 2 continuous days worth of rain..so any field not protected by a tarp will result like that after a game. Last Friday game even tho it rained wasn't in bad shape..hell if u asked me me it helped Hough more than us with our DBs slipping especially their last TD. Supposed 2 be dry all week and I think after tomorrow temperature s will b freezing will help make the field more playable if u ask me. If Harding was able to play their game home last yr in that atrocious field then we have no issues with ours.

Vance earned home field with their play and resulting higher seed.  The field?  That's part of home field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, work7 said:

Move for what? They earned the right to play at home. No reason for Vance to even entertain moving. 

That's right.  Their regular season play earned them that right and the higher seed.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel you tho.. I would want to play to my strengths as well..,at the same time... let’s see a game where the field conditions don’t make either team favored.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Skimo said:

I feel you tho.. I would want to play to my strengths as well..,at the same time... let’s see a game where the field conditions don’t make either team favored.. 

I jus got finished talking to a parent that had the same issues with a Hough parent complaining about grass...field...turf. look if u lose on grass u will lose on turf. Crazy notions smh

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer grass!.... GRASS tho not Mud.. if it gets muddy during the game so be it... not before the game starts tho..you want the kids to be safe as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×