Sign in to follow this  
hhs_redscare0206

Kalin Ensley headed to UNC?????

Rate this topic

Tremendous football player. I remember reading the paper when it said he was transferring to Hendersonville. My exact action was spitting my drink out on the floor haha. I have enjoyed watching him transition into a Bearcat over the last 2 and a half years. Going from a starting varsity QB to a WR in a high flying offense looked pretty easy watching him do it. I am going to miss watching him out run everyone on the field on Friday nights. Congrats to him as well. It is well deserved. Tarheels are getting a good one if he decides to go there.

https://www.blueridgenow.com/sports/20181127/unc-offers-ensley-preferred-walk-on-spot

Preferred walkon without a scholarship is like having a job with no pay. If The Citidel is showing interest that’s much better even if it’s a partial. Not many can handle the rigors of The Citidel but once you get that graduation ring it puts you in a brotherhood for nice careers. Hope he gets a better offer. There is no shame in going to school free at a D3 or D2 school. D3 would be academic money towards playing sports.

21 minutes ago, GDG said:

Preferred walkon without a scholarship is like having a job with no pay. If The Citidel is showing interest that’s much better even if it’s a partial. Not many can handle the rigors of The Citidel but once you get that graduation ring it puts you in a brotherhood for nice careers. Hope he gets a better offer. There is no shame in going to school free at a D3 or D2 school. D3 would be academic money towards playing sports.

Agreed. I have said over and over if the kids who are borderline D1 just went D2 they may would benefit more but that aint my call. The thing about D3 is that a lot of the schools say they will give academic money but it ends up not being enough to cover the tuition. A friend of mine had a son go play at a D3 school and they only gave him around 15-20k to go towards tuition but the overall cost is around 30-40k. Nothing wrong with D3 as long as parents and kids know what its going to be. Whoever gets this kid will be getting a helluva player. Congrats and good luck to him in whichever way he decides to go. 

Paying full price at an in state school like Chapel Hill may very well be cheaper than a partial to the Citadel. 

2 hours ago, Ladge said:

Paying full price at an in state school like Chapel Hill may very well be cheaper than a partial to the Citadel. 

First year out of state at The Citadel is around $44,500 and second year drops a grand. Would be a little less than Carolina even at a half a ride. My son got a three year scholarship offer with the first year on him but he could apply to have the first year comped after two years. He chose to take a four year scholly somewhere else.

Lots of kids can’t take the rigors of the school and they lose a bunch the first year. But in the long run you tap that ring in front of a CEO who has given you an interview who has went to the school and he knows you are dedicated to completion of a task. The article states he has interest from The Citadel and hopefully he considers such an honor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GDG said:

That logic doesn't even make sense. Have you seen him play?

2 hours ago, hhs_redscare0206 said:

That logic doesn't even make sense. Have you seen him play?

What does it matter if I’ve seen him play. I never questioned his talent. I question playing for free. It’s a damn full time job and school. It would be crazy if someone gave you a scholarship. Do you work for free? 

Congrats to the young man on the offer. He handles himself well on the field and basketball court. Definitely will be a tough decision on he and his family if he is getting multiple offers. Fun but stressful time of a kids life. Being able to be a contributor on the field at UNC would be definite up hill battle for any preferred walk on. Best of luck on his choice of school.

Unless you are willing to be a scout team player then this designation means very little. Most people do not believe that their special HS player is not as good as those who get the full rides. The fact is very few walk ons ever become scholarship players. Most of them either give up their dream and quit or are satisfied to wear the practice uniform. The movie Rudy told the truth about the day in the life of a walk on. The better option is to find a program that fits into his skill level and potential to play level and go there. Plus, how can the Fedora coaches guarantee that the Brown coaches will honor that offer? I have seen it happen too many times.GDG is correct. My question to hhs is does he have the talent to eventually get a scholarship and play? 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 10:42 PM, GDG said:

What does it matter if I’ve seen him play. I never questioned his talent. I question playing for free. It’s a damn full time job and school. It would be crazy if someone gave you a scholarship. Do you work for free? 

How do you know he won't eventually earn one. Obviously you don't know his talent which means you don't know what he is capable of. Therefore you can't really generalize or rationlize this situation. You don't know how the situation will pan out for this kid. I made this thread strictly out of positivity and some of you guys instead of just saying congrats TO THE KID...make it about yourselves and your pessimistic opinions smh.

• Like 1