04 Kinston

06 SW Onslow

07 Wallace-Rose Hill

West

08 Brevard

04 Wheatmore

03 Mountain Heritage

02 Reidsville

Eastern thoughts: SWOvWRH should be a four quarter battle between two eastern powerhouses. Of the four games this week, this is the toughest one to predict a winner. I could see both of them winning. Northeastern will get a test from Kinston and should not expect to just roll into the semifinals. 

Western thoughts: I have picked against Brevard and Wheatmore and now I'm faced with the decision to choose between the two. I give the (slight) edge to Wheatmore this week. Home field versus a team that will have traveled 614 miles in two weeks is worth at 3 points. But, these are teenagers with bodies that are suited for faster recovery who may be oblivious to all of the highway time. Is this the year MH finally overcomes the Reidsville obstacle? In 2016 RHS leveled the Cougars 45-16 in the second round. Last year, it was a 27-20 Rams victory in the semifinals. What will this year hold?

4 hours ago, lbedwards said:

Western thoughts: I have picked against Brevard and Wheatmore and now I'm faced with the decision to choose between the two. I give the (slight) edge to Wheatmore this week. Home field versus a team that will have traveled 614 miles in two weeks is worth at 3 points. But, these are teenagers with bodies that are suited for faster recovery who may be oblivious to all of the highway time. 

My thoughts on Wheatmore and why they win

1. They have the momentum of 2 playoff wins when the world wrote them off

2. They have won the right to play at home

3. The mythical Spector of Randleman is gone (Wheatmore has never beaten Randleman, they had a shot earlier if they were healthy and didn't have 4 turnovers could have had them) and don't have to face them in their house

4.  They WANT this.  They are loose having fun and enjoying this. 

Gonna be a good game.

In paper these 2 team's are close. 

It's the intangible' s and emotion now

14 minutes ago, Beyond hope said:

My thoughts on Wheatmore and why they win

1. They have the momentum of 2 playoff wins when the world wrote them off

2. They have won the right to play at home

3. The mythical Spector of Randleman is gone (Wheatmore has never beaten Randleman, they had a shot earlier if they were healthy and didn't have 4 turnovers could have had them) and don't have to face them in their house

4.  They WANT this.  They are loose having fun and enjoying this. 

Gonna be a good game.

In paper these 2 team's are close. 

It's the intangible' s and emotion now

You can make the same argument for Brevard. I can assure you that those kids have the same momentum and want it just as bad what the kids from Wheatmore does. You don't think the world did not write Brevard off coming into this past Friday? The same intangibles that you speak of can also be found in Transylvania County as well. Brevard may not win this game but I feel comfortable saying that they will go down swinging. And do not be surprised if Wheatmore is in for a battle because I have a feeling that Brevard will hit them in the mouth harder than they have have been hit all year. Here's to a good game with the winner going to the Western title game.

Northeastern

WRH

Wheatmore

Reidsville

31 minutes ago, bc11 said:

You can make the same argument for Brevard. I can assure you that those kids have the same momentum and want it just as bad what the kids from Wheatmore does. You don't think the world did not write Brevard off coming into this past Friday? The same intangibles that you speak of can also be found in Transylvania County as well. Brevard may not win this game but I feel comfortable saying that they will go down swinging. And do not be surprised if Wheatmore is in for a battle because I have a feeling that Brevard will hit them in the mouth harder than they have have been hit all year. Here's to a good game with the winner going to the Western title game.

I totally agree that it will be a good game. I am picking Wheatmore due to their run defense, balanced offense and playing at home.  I have heard that they are still not fully healthy (missing a MLB that was playing earlier and doing real  well 8.5 tackles a game and was a RB too, only playing in 7 games and has not played in playoffs) I was told that they had some injuries on Defense last game don't know how bad) which is why I am not 100 percent for them. They have been a more evenly balance team since #6 RB is back and maybe even more towards the run. They have a 2000 yard thrower and a 1000 yard rusher which is hard to defend when you can do both. I mentioned run defense which has shut down several running teams. Most of West Stanly's running yards and two of their TD's came late in the game against second and third team guys. They are not bad against pass either a lot of pressure(sacks and hurried throws) and around 20 ints this year. I am sure it will be a good game, the winner will be a big underdog going into the next game. 

@Beyond hope @bc11 

Sounds like we have mirror images in Brevard and Wheatmore. A couple of thoughts about y'alls couple of thoughts. 

On the thread - 2A West Playoffs Round 2 - 13 people posted their predictions (14 counting myself - if I counted correctly). I was the only one to pick W. Stanly, the remaining 13 picked Wheatmore. I know its a small sample size but it doesn't appear that the world has written Wheatmore off. If anything, I would say it's healthy skepticism as no one has witnessed a Wheatmore run like this. I'm excited for the Wheatmore program. I know many of the fine folk in that part of eastern Randolph County. If anyone gets to use the "us against the world" in this game, it's Brevard. In the last thread, only three people gave Brevard the nod over Randleman. If Brevard wins this game, they are Randolph County champions.

Wanting something does not equal obtaining something. This time of year, everyone wantto advance to the next round, to end their season with a win, to stand as champions. This time of year is not about want, it's about execution - maintaining your fundamentals, playing within yourself and your system, understanding your game plan and staying with it, remaining calm in stressful environments, being bigger than the moment. Too often, too many teams who get to this point of the playoffs begin to deviate from who they are. Coaches feel the pressure to devise a magical game plan against an unfamiliar foe and overthink the process. A team can want something so much that it loses emotional discipline resulting in sloppy play, stupid penalties, turnovers, and the like. Yes, want it but continue to be yourself, continue to do the things that got you here. I imagine both coaching staffs know this and will work this week on the emotional aspects just as much as the physical. This game, I believe, will be a good, clean hitting physical battle of equals with a winner decided by less than 5 points.    

@Beyond hope

I have a feeling you may be right about Heritage getting over the Reidsville hump. I know I picked RHS, but at some point a program overcomes the obstacle that has been in front of them. This may be the year.

I do agree that the Wheatmore Brevard game will be close. With Wheatmore pulling it out

And I do see Heritage getting over that hump by 3

Looking forward to a Friday night of some good football