Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

1A West: Murphy 33, Mitchell 29

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Opening possessions of the 2nd half will probably decide this game. If Mitchell gets a stop defensively and scores it's probably lights out. If Murphy comes out and scores I like their chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to both on a great season. I did get to go watch this one and it was well worth the admission. Mitchell has no reason to hang their head. Mitchell has a young team and I expect to see them back here again next year. Good luck to Murphy go get another State Title. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Murphy. That is what high school football is about. 2 teams giving all they have. I dont know about Murphy but I'm not sure how much better Mitchell can play than they did last night. Extremely proud of the effort by both the players and coaches. 

When I say this it is NOT an excuse but I didn't think the officials performed at the level of the 2 teams. There were some interesting times with them both ways. Many folks will blame them for the 2 called back TDs BUT if Mitchell finds a way to stop that run away train in the 4th those calls would not have mattered. Murphy had a long run called back that lead to a punt.

If Murphy plays at this level Friday night I think Robbinsville is in trouble. Should be another great game.  Good luck to both teams. Anyone who claims there was an easy path for the western 1a champ this year, doesn't understand 1a football.

Geez, one of these years Mitchell has to break through and get back to the championship game. I think a ring that is all that is missing from their program at this point.  

Go Mountaineers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the officiating was poor. Bad roughing the passer call on Mitchell that negated their interception return TD. Also missed an obvious hold on Mitchell's third TD, the pass to McKinney that gave Mitchell back the lead. Shame the officiating didn't match the play on the field as you said.

I don't think Murphy played well in the first half but I give Mitchell a lot of credit for that, Mountaineers came out fired up and Murphy struggled to match their intensity in the first half, Mitchell owned the line of scrimmage in that first half as well. 'Dogs did a much better job up front in the second half, particularly in the 4th quarter where I think Murphy's depth started to play a factor. #32 really put Murphy on his back in that last quarter running the football.

Mitchell will be a tough team to beat next year, that offense is going to be very very good with #7 and #10, doubt they get slowed down very much by anyone next year. I think Mitchell is going to miss #2, #4, #50 and #70 on defense more than some may realize though. Mountaineer's special teams are excellent and were a bigger factor in this game than they're getting credit for, Mitchell owned the field position battle all night.

Great season Mountaineers and I think you will be the likely favorites in the west next year in either division. Your fans have a lot to look forward to next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to add that I wish Murphy had the kicking game that Mitchell has this year. This year's Murphy team would be even tougher to beat if they had that. Bulldogs kickoff abilities (or lack of) hold them back a lot in the field position battle, it doesn't really show up much when you're playing teams that are totally outmatched but when you're playing a good team like Mitchell it becomes obvious what a major detriment it really is. It's not just Mitchell's kicker though, you have a good punter and your kickoff/punt returner #10 is very good too. Murphy was able to get a couple nice returns or I shudder to think how much more lopsided the field position battle would've been last night.

I don't think Murphy has ever had a kicker as good as the one Mitchell has this year. The only one that's close that I can remember is Foster Stroup who was a senior in the '16 game against Mitchell and the Mountaineers started deep in their own territory basically every drive that night, it was important. Mitchell fans, is your kicker getting any college looks? He seems talented enough to kick somewhere in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 2:09 PM, SMC Observer said:

Yeah, if Mitchell hadn't stepped up to fill the void that Albemarle left when they went downhill it really would be the SMC invitational out west in small 1A. Hopefully Albemarle rebounds, they weren't as bad this year as they were the last two and they had a really young team. Maybe the Blue Dogs will have a pretty good team next year, nothing like their glory years mind you, but solid by 1A standards.

Another thing to consider is that there is no longer a small 1A power out east. In years past there was North Edgecombe, Williamston and Plymouth, but Williamston and Plymouth fell victim to consolidation and North Edgecombe fell off after Raymond Cobb moved on. I guess the closest thing to a consistent program in the small 1A east now is North Duplin (who half the time ends up in the west), but they don't have the numbers or athletes to reload every year, their talent is cyclical. Perhaps Washington County takes up where Plymouth left off in time, but it'll be much more difficult to do that without Robert Cody roaming the sidelines.

Them Tigers were real!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SMC Observer said:

I would like to add that I wish Murphy had the kicking game that Mitchell has this year. This year's Murphy team would be even tougher to beat if they had that. Bulldogs kickoff abilities (or lack of) hold them back a lot in the field position battle, it doesn't really show up much when you're playing teams that are totally outmatched but when you're playing a good team like Mitchell it becomes obvious what a major detriment it really is. It's not just Mitchell's kicker though, you have a good punter and your kickoff/punt returner #10 is very good too. Murphy was able to get a couple nice returns or I shudder to think how much more lopsided the field position battle would've been last night.

I don't think Murphy has ever had a kicker as good as the one Mitchell has this year. The only one that's close that I can remember is Foster Stroup who was a senior in the '16 game against Mitchell and the Mountaineers started deep in their own territory basically every drive that night, it was important. Mitchell fans, is your kicker getting any college looks? He seems talented enough to kick somewhere in college.

Stephen Routh is probably the best kicker in Murphy history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SMC Observer said:

Was that the German exchange student kicker? I vaguely remember him

No, his dad was the team chaplain, Rev Routh for years.  He was the kicker for the 86-87 teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uncgrad1998 said:

No, his dad was the team chaplain, Rev Routh for years.  He was the kicker for the 86-87 teams.

Yeah that's before my time. Murphy did have a kicker from Germany about 20 years ago that was solid, can't remember his name though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SMC Observer said:

Yeah that's before my time. Murphy did have a kicker from Germany about 20 years ago that was solid, can't remember his name though.

He was 6th all time in NC for extra points in a career and 10th for extra points in a season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×