Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Carson head coaching position

It was announced a few weeks ago that Carson would be seeking a new head coach following the announcement that Joe Pinyan would be retiring.  The school has opened up the position and is currently accepting applications and from what I'm hearing, they'll look to begin interviews around the end of November or early December.  It would be great for them to be able to have a new head coach in place by the new semester so said coach could have all spring to schedule workouts and work to put his stamp on the new program. 

I think this job will attract a moderate amount of interest from some coaches, but as with all Rowan-Salisbury schools, they are limited in what they can pay which may make this job a little bit less attractive compared to the head coaching salaries in neighboring Cabarrus County. 

I've said this before but with the principal and athletic director having come from A.L. Brown, I wouldn't be shocked to see a name familiar with that school. 

If I were to speculate on some coaches who may have interest, or who I would go after it, here would be my list. 

1. Travis Billings:  Was a graduate and longtime coach at neighboring South Rowan and worked at Carson the first several years the building was open.  Has most recently taught and coached at A.L. Brown.  He played at Western Carolina and did his student teaching and coaching at Hayesville so he's very well rounded and has about 20 years of experience.  

2. Brian Billings:  Obviously the younger brother of Travis, also a South Rowan aluminums, played at Appalachian State and also has worked at Carson in the past.  He's currently coaching at West Davidson and would be a great choice. 

3. Josh Trexler:  He's been at Carson for several years and while he may still be younger and lack head coaching experience, he's knows all the inner-workings of the program as he's been there. 

4. Jason Stanley:  He's also been on the staff at Carson for multiple years and has grown into a very solid coach.  He's another South Rowan alum and played football at Western Carolina. 

5. Jason Rollins:  Former head coach at South Rowan, he helped out on the staff this year at Carson and would be a great fit in my opinion.  I"m not sure if he has the desire to be a head coach again, but he's not a bad choice. 

6. Tom Harper:  His wife taught at Carson for years and he's still got very close ties to China Grove.  He's shown an interest in the past at moving back "home" and I could see him having a slight interest in this job. I certainly think he'd be a great hire. 

7. Daniel Crosby:  Assistant coach at Cox Mill, he was previously the defensive coordinator at Central Cabarrus and is a South Rowan alum.  I think he's about ready to become a head coach so I'm certain he'll probably get a look. 

8. Jason Lippard:  I know he's living in the region and is about due to get another head coaching shot.  He's currently an assistant at West Iredell and would be a good fit in China Grove. 

9. Barry Merritt: I could see Carson wanting him, and he's going to be a terrific head coach one day, but I'm not sure if he'd be in the mix for this one or not, but Carson would be a good first head coaching spot for him. 

10. Todd Haglar:  Arguably one of the best strength coaches and football guys in the region, I think he'd be a home run hire for Carson but I think the pay cut may be too much for him to seriously consider it.  But he'd be a home run. 

Here are some long shots that Carson could try and lure, but I'm not sure that these guys would want to make the move:  Joe Nixon (West Rowan), Ben Hampton (North Rowan), Brian Hinson (Salisbury), Daniel Yow (South Rowan), Craig Stewart (Cox Mill).

If he still lives in Union County I would think he would apply for the Piedmont job.

I was around Barry when he was assistant at North for baseball as well as football. Very energetic,  great with the students and love his love and intensity for the fundamentals. Also got to sit with his father during those games and talk sports. What a great football family. How many fathers come to every baseball game his son was coaching as a assistant (and mother). Dont know where he will get his first head coach job but have a feeling he will be successful! 

6. Tom Harper:  His wife taught at Carson for years and he's still got very close ties to China Grove.  He's shown an interest in the past at moving back "home" and I could see him having a slight interest in this job. I certainly think he'd be a great hire. 

Bite your tongue 😀😀. They would be lucky to have him I know that. 

Just now, lbedwards said:

@Chris Hughes

With Nixon (W. Rowan), Hampton (N. Rowan), Hinson (Salisbury) and Yow (S. Rowan) already in Rowan county, other than a desire for something new what would appeal to them about Carson? 

I've heard from many coaches in the county that have all said that Carson is one of the better places to work, obviously its a new building, they have great support, and would be a great day job.  I'm not by any means saying that either of the aforementioned coaches are pursing it, but I am saying from an in-county standpoint, Carson is a great place to work.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lbedwards said:

@Chris Hughes

With Nixon (W. Rowan), Hampton (N. Rowan), Hinson (Salisbury) and Yow (S. Rowan) already in Rowan county, other than a desire for something new what would appeal to them about Carson? 

Also don't forget that Ben Hampton has already worked at Carson once, so he has a connection.  I believe the same may be true for Yow, not 100% on that. 

1 hour ago, lbedwards said:

@Chris Hughes

Well from a lot folks i talk to who live in that area -- All the good athlete try and go to Carson so Im sure Carson has the better athletes 

On 11/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Well from a lot folks i talk to who live in that area -- All the good athlete try and go to Carson so Im sure Carson has the better athletes 

Not sure who you talk to but they don't seem to know much about Carson. I am hard pressed to come up with any out of district athletes that have tried to go to Carson recently. A few complimentary piece basketball players this year. Football wise we had 1 jv player transfer in from North but not so sure that was even for football reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 2:04 PM, Chris Hughes said:

It was announced a few weeks ago that Carson would be seeking a new head coach following the announcement that Joe Pinyan would be retiring.  The school has opened up the position and is currently accepting applications and from what I'm hearing, they'll look to begin interviews around the end of November or early December.  It would be great for them to be able to have a new head coach in place by the new semester so said coach could have all spring to schedule workouts and work to put his stamp on the new program. 

I think this job will attract a moderate amount of interest from some coaches, but as with all Rowan-Salisbury schools, they are limited in what they can pay which may make this job a little bit less attractive compared to the head coaching salaries in neighboring Cabarrus County. 

I've said this before but with the principal and athletic director having come from A.L. Brown, I wouldn't be shocked to see a name familiar with that school. 

If I were to speculate on some coaches who may have interest, or who I would go after it, here would be my list. 

1. Travis Billings:  Was a graduate and longtime coach at neighboring South Rowan and worked at Carson the first several years the building was open.  Has most recently taught and coached at A.L. Brown.  He played at Western Carolina and did his student teaching and coaching at Hayesville so he's very well rounded and has about 20 years of experience.  

2. Brian Billings:  Obviously the younger brother of Travis, also a South Rowan aluminums, played at Appalachian State and also has worked at Carson in the past.  He's currently coaching at West Davidson and would be a great choice. 

3. Josh Trexler:  He's been at Carson for several years and while he may still be younger and lack head coaching experience, he's knows all the inner-workings of the program as he's been there. 

4. Jason Stanley:  He's also been on the staff at Carson for multiple years and has grown into a very solid coach.  He's another South Rowan alum and played football at Western Carolina. 

5. Jason Rollins:  Former head coach at South Rowan, he helped out on the staff this year at Carson and would be a great fit in my opinion.  I"m not sure if he has the desire to be a head coach again, but he's not a bad choice. 

6. Tom Harper:  His wife taught at Carson for years and he's still got very close ties to China Grove.  He's shown an interest in the past at moving back "home" and I could see him having a slight interest in this job. I certainly think he'd be a great hire. 

7. Daniel Crosby:  Assistant coach at Cox Mill, he was previously the defensive coordinator at Central Cabarrus and is a South Rowan alum.  I think he's about ready to become a head coach so I'm certain he'll probably get a look. 

8. Jason Lippard:  I know he's living in the region and is about due to get another head coaching shot.  He's currently an assistant at West Iredell and would be a good fit in China Grove. 

9. Barry Merritt: I could see Carson wanting him, and he's going to be a terrific head coach one day, but I'm not sure if he'd be in the mix for this one or not, but Carson would be a good first head coaching spot for him. 

10. Todd Haglar:  Arguably one of the best strength coaches and football guys in the region, I think he'd be a home run hire for Carson but I think the pay cut may be too much for him to seriously consider it.  But he'd be a home run. 

Here are some long shots that Carson could try and lure, but I'm not sure that these guys would want to make the move:  Joe Nixon (West Rowan), Ben Hampton (North Rowan), Brian Hinson (Salisbury), Daniel Yow (South Rowan), Craig Stewart (Cox Mill).

From what I was told from my sources Daniel Yow is happy at South Rowan he has no plans to leave.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, btango said:

Big name interested.  State champion coach.  Played college ball in Rowan.

Man I have not been teased like that since the hottest girl in school said she'd go to the Ramones concert with me then wasn't home when I went to pick her up!...😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Expect this to happen

North Rowan closes this year...

Ben Hampton and staff will take over at Carson

Students at North will have the option to go to any high school they choose.

Or

A possible steal from Al Brown

Expect to hear during Christmas break.

School board meets tonight.

9 hours ago, Old ball coach said:

Expect this to happen

North Rowan closes this year...

Ben Hampton and staff will take over at Carson

Students at North will have the option to go to any high school they choose.

Or

A possible steal from Al Brown

Expect to hear during Christmas break.

School board meets tonight.

What do you mean by a possible steal from A.L. Brown.

Well as the only actual Carson fan on these boards there are my thoughts. From what I understand around 50 people applied including 1 or 2 currently on staff. I thinks highly of the  current coaching staff as  they have busted their tails off for these kids. I  would be stunned if Hampton didn't throw his hat into the ring considering the uncertainty surrounding North Rowan. I hear he is not the only North coach to apply. If he got the job I am sure some of his talent would follow. He is an excellent coach and would be a fine choice but.....

Personally I would like to see a big name (BTango previous post) or someone from outside the county. Carson needs a fresh face, someone who could energize the returning players and the fan base. There is more talent there than back to back 3-8 seasons would suggest. Crowd support has been pretty decent even with the train wreck last season was. The right choice will get people excited and a competitive team will bring the crowds out for more than just the East Rowan and South Rowan games.

Expect a decision sooner rather than later. Wouldn't be surprised if it was before kids return from Christmas break

Just my 2 cents......

• Like 1

Well Christmas break has come and gone and still no head coach....The next board meeting is scheduled next week. But I wonder if the backlash from the community has caused them to rethink closing North and this would change them possibly hiring Ben Hampton from North....