Chris Hughes

4AA West: Hough 19, Mallard Creek 7

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, csc8180 said:

One of the most recent situation that comes to mind was the kid at Harding living with Greiner.  Not even sure how all of that went down and do not care.  Think it was a great all around situation and was awesome.  I was just surprised that it got so much publicity and no one cried FOUL.  If that had been at MC or Hough or Butler or Vance someone would have asked questions and there would have been a big stink.  Regardless if everything was on the up and up.  Which from everything i understand it was.  Just funny to me that the opposing fans only raise hell when certain teams are involved in things like this.

The student was enrolled at Harding when Greiner met him.  Greiner jumped through hoops and did it properly.  Remember in NC their is also a "grandfather" deal on ineligible players.  If a player has lived in a school district and attended that school for 365 days but does not live with his legal guardian he is clear to attend the school he has been attending.  That was one of the things I picked up from the residency eligibility board in 2008.  It came about even more as Hoggard had a running back that got in legal trouble.  He did not live with his mother, his legal guardian, but with his grandmother and had for several years so he was not considered ineligible due to the that.

Let me post before the game is over-- The Defense is broken at HOUGH due to IR players -- and ever since they lost their first game the IR was slowly building with leading tacklers & DLINE-- If MC wins it will be because of the Defense-- as of NOW it is 6-0 Hough- let's see how it all turns out and know this would be a better game if both full FIRST strings were on the field vs first string MC v 2nd and possible 3rd string at Hough-- I'm just saying...and about those "transfers" -- don't even get me started on that BandWagon!  

1 hour ago, 84k said:

My only question is did work7 make it through the game alive. He was a little upset at halftime.lol

Yes Work 7 is alive and well. Tough loss for the Creek Boyz. Was concerned about this game when the draw came out. Knew it wouldnt be easy and nothing about it was. Give Hough credit...they got two huge plays and MC couldnt match it. Creek looked rusty in first half but had several opportunities to go up a couple scores in first half but a fumble and holding call cost them. Gsme ptobably over with the weather getting bad.

Congrats to Hough. Now one on you 3 4aa programs in Meck go win you your first ring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Yes Work 7 is alive and well. Tough loss for the Creek Boyz. Was concerned about this game when the draw came out. Knew it wouldnt be easy and nothing about it was. Give Hough credit...they got two huge plays and MC couldnt match it. Creek looked rusty in first half but had several opportunities to go up a couple scores in first half but a fumble and holding call cost them. Gsme ptobably over with the weather getting bad.

Congrats to Hough. Now one on you 3 4aa programs in Meck go win you your first ring.

Congrats to Creek on a successful season...reloading for 2019.

Surprised but facing a talented program two times in a season gives each a chance to adjust. It stings but Mallard Creek will survive as they have had a long run of success. It’s up to Vance or Hough to get the West a championship. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GDG said:

Surprised but facing a talented program two times in a season gives each a chance to adjust. It stings but Mallard Creek will survive as they have had a long run of success. It’s up to Vance or Hough to get the West a championship. 

They were the better team tonight. No question but they need to regroup and refocus. Big hurdle but its just RD 2. They have 3 very tough games yet to play starting with Vance. The West was always gonna be a battle of attrition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

They were the better team tonight. No question but they need to regroup and refocus. Big hurdle but its just RD 2. They have 3 very tough games yet to play starting with Vance. The West was always gonna be a battle of attrition.

It's never fun, or easy to lose a big game, but props to you for taking it like a champ.  That's how fans should act.  +1 Wrigley. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

It's never fun, or easy to lose a big game, but props to you for taking it like a champ.  That's how fans should act.  +1 Wrigley. 

Its just kids playing ball. Someone wins and someone loses. Creek has won their share and when you win as a fan its fun. I only ever feel bad for the seniors. Never fun to lose your last one but its been my experience that the kids move on quick.....takes the parents a little longer. 

My decision now is where to go next Friday. Vance? Huss - Catholic? TL Hanna- Byrnes?  Hmmm.....

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Tough loss but Football is a great teacher of lessons and just like in life you can get up and take another go at it. Below is what I posted on our team private Facebook page. Btw congrats to Hough!  Now I am partial to the Vance Cougars to go get that Championship. AB and the boys are due....

“Congratulations on a great season!  To the seniors thank you for your hard work and dedication to the program. Creek wins as a team and takes the L’s as a team. Yes it’s tough when expectations are very high for a program but we have to model the behavior we want the kids to emulate. The Creek will rise again....now it’s time to get in the books to maximize any opportunities that might come these young men’s way. #creekfamily”

• Like 2

I have been concerned about Creek’s O this year.  I spoke with Chris about it this week and my concern was if they needed to change it up to an up tempo passing game could they.  Did they have the passing game from the QB and the timing with the receivers.   Also, I was curious to see if Kelly could spread the field vertically over the top.  It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.  If I can run through s team why pass it.  Not sure that it was something that could have been helpful in this rematch.

2 hours ago, btango said:

I have been concerned about Creek’s O this year.  I spoke with Chris about it this week and my concern was if they needed to change it up to an up tempo passing game could they.  Did they have the passing game from the QB and the timing with the receivers.   Also, I was curious to see if Kelly could spread the field vertically over the top.  It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.  If I can run through s team why pass it.  Not sure that it was something that could have been helpful in this rematch.

In my eyes the O was not the concern at all They had run tempo offense all throughout the season last night it was just not part of the game plan apparently. Actually Hough did not stop the running game Creek just situational self destructed in the red zone 4 times and key penalties on long runs. It came down to Hough making 2 big plays 90 yard run on first series on a bad run fit and a very poor technique by a Creek DB on the 50 yard TD. Just like the previous game when Creek had the explosive plays last night Hough had those plays. Give them credit they made the plays and situationally did not hurt themselves as much as Creek on this night. 

Taking nothing away from Hough from the win but, it did look like the Creek boys were a little rusty last night.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 1:01 PM, forsythco said:

I don't think people care about anything you just said. From what I've been reading, people are mad at Hough because of the antics they pull off and on the field. 

Well then you must not know the same people that I know.  Maybe you aren't mad at that, but a lot of people are.  

On 11/20/2018 at 5:54 PM, 704cougarsdad said:

Explain this 2 me...how r u going 2 stop people from moving? See moving isnt the reason hough is hated..like someone else said they've done it 2 themselves. From the preseason all the Twitter n social media trash talk. To the in season pre game smack talk to in game smack talk after 1 tackle...hell they're even cursing at coaches n flipping them off. So ur whining about kids transferring has nothing 2 do with why Hough is hated so much around here. Smh

That's the whole problem.  THE KIDS ARE NOT MOVING.  And you can shake your little head all you want, but that's why they are hated around here.  There can't be more than one reason that they are hated? You can't hate them for talking trash and other people hate them for all the transfers? We are entitled to hate how we want and you are entitled to hate how you want.  Don't diminish my hate just because you don't understand it.  

On 11/20/2018 at 6:01 PM, Wrigley said:

I think its hard to hate a program because of transfers. Every program gets them and as I have said a million times a parents job is to look out for the best interest of their children. All this, little guy, work year around, kill themselves and give up their health stuff is comical. If the programs were so great why would the kids leave?  

Dont think its fair to paint a whole program with one brush but yes , I have been to plenty of Hough games and their is a ton of talking, gesturing and taunting by a few. I am not crazy about it under any circumstances BUT it looks even more silly when it comes from kids who have won nothing in their 4 years at the school. It just a " look at me" thing which is more funny than it is upsetting.

I do think it is a problem that it is condoned but its a copycat world and they are just doing what they see. Watching the Clemson - Duke game last week. Tight game in the first half and the future NFL Dlineman were jumping up and posing after every tackle. I wonder if they realize that they are playing against a bunch of future CEO's and Doctors??  They are dancing when in reality they should be up by 40.   

Maybe every Charlotte school gets them.  Maybe you folks down there can stick your head in the sand and think that all schools get transfers.  That simply isn't the case.  Especially not the caliber of transfers that flock to Hough/Vance/Mallard Creek.  Where do you entitled d bags think they come from? Is there a magic fairy that gifts you Division I corners? No.  A lot of them come from smaller schools.  

Comical? You are a horrible human being who is out of touch with reality.  You laugh at the troubles of hard working people that give their all to help kids.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  

Let me enlighten you bud.  Sometimes they do transfer from good programs.  Sometimes they leave a program that would have been a top 5 2A school in the state and drive from that small town every morning at 5:15 to go down to Hough high school so they can play football.  Who cares that they have played there 3 years.  Their family members played there.  The coaches there invested everything in them.  Molded them.  Helped them.  They got a DI offer based off the film at this small school.  

Is that really the world that you are promoting?  If you think the grass is greener then just bail on your community? 

Do I think that taunting and talking crap on twitter is ridiculous? Absolutely, but how dare you attack my opinion when you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about?

23 minutes ago, Idiocracy9090 said:

Maybe every Charlotte school gets them.  Maybe you folks down there can stick your head in the sand and think that all schools get transfers.  That simply isn't the case.  Especially not the caliber of transfers that flock to Hough/Vance/Mallard Creek.  Where do you entitled d bags think they come from? Is there a magic fairy that gifts you Division I corners? No.  A lot of them come from smaller schools.  

Comical? You are a horrible human being who is out of touch with reality.  You laugh at the troubles of hard working people that give their all to help kids.  You should be ashamed of yourself.  

Let me enlighten you bud.  Sometimes they do transfer from good programs.  Sometimes they leave a program that would have been a top 5 2A school in the state and drive from that small town every morning at 5:15 to go down to Hough high school so they can play football.  Who cares that they have played there 3 years.  Their family members played there.  The coaches there invested everything in them.  Molded them.  Helped them.  They got a DI offer based off the film at this small school.  

Is that really the world that you are promoting?  If you think the grass is greener then just bail on your community? 

Do I think that taunting and talking crap on twitter is ridiculous? Absolutely, but how dare you attack my opinion when you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about?

I can't speak for hough or Creek but most parents/kids  get tired of busting their butts for a program/school with no chance of competing for championships or getting any exposure 2 play football in college. I was just talking 2 a kid n a parent who plays at another school who was asking me about Vance and how they admire what were doing. It's not Creek or Houghs fault Johnny football left ur school for there. Is it Richmond cty or Butlers fault if ur schools AD cares about field hockey more than they do about football. I say if u dont like what ur lil school is doing then take a page from Reidsville or northeastern or WRH on how to compete. Take a page from coach Till at Richmond cty and send those notes 2 ur local HS AD or coach..maybe they will get good eventually smh.

1 hour ago, 704cougarsdad said:

I can't speak for hough or Creek but most parents/kids  get tired of busting their butts for a program/school with no chance of competing for championships or getting any exposure 2 play football in college. I was just talking 2 a kid n a parent who plays at another school who was asking me about Vance and how they admire what were doing. It's not Creek or Houghs fault Johnny football left ur school for there. Is it Richmond cty or Butlers fault if ur schools AD cares about field hockey more than they do about football. I say if u dont like what ur lil school is doing then take a page from Reidsville or northeastern or WRH on how to compete. Take a page from coach Till at Richmond cty and send those notes 2 ur local HS AD or coach..maybe they will get good eventually smh.

Once again, you don't have any clue what you are talking about.  My school has a long tradition of success.  We were poised to be one of, if not the best team in big 2a and then three kids transferred to Hough, Mallard Creek, and Huss.  You have no idea what happened so stop trying to sound like you do.  We don't have a field hockey team.  Football is incredibly important to this community, to the administration, to the coaches, the parents.  There was a concerted effort by the QB's dad to blow up our program.  You may know the dad as Skimo on NC preps.  The parents and kids bailed on their community.  They left their brothers behind.  Is that really a message that you support?  If things get tough, run away? You are obviously a father to a current or former player at Vance.  Is that something you would teach your son? Or are you biased by the opportunistic situation that you are in, benefiting from being on the good side of the lawless state of the NCHSAA? Where does it stop? Would you teach your son that when something happens at his job that he should quit? When he and his spouse have a fight to get a divorce? When someone close gets cancer to run away? That the message that you are sending to these kids.  Oh. Things are perfect at your school...okay.  Bail on the guys that you have played with since you were five.  Great message bro.    

19 minutes ago, Idiocracy9090 said:

Once again, you don't have any clue what you are talking about.  My school has a long tradition of success.  We were poised to be one of, if not the best team in big 2a and then three kids transferred to Hough, Mallard Creek, and Huss.  You have no idea what happened so stop trying to sound like you do.  We don't have a field hockey team.  Football is incredibly important to this community, to the administration, to the coaches, the parents.  There was a concerted effort by the QB's dad to blow up our program.  You may know the dad as Skimo on NC preps.  The parents and kids bailed on their community.  They left their brothers behind.  Is that really a message that you support?  If things get tough, run away? You are obviously a father to a current or former player at Vance.  Is that something you would teach your son? Or are you biased by the opportunistic situation that you are in, benefiting from being on the good side of the lawless state of the NCHSAA? Where does it stop? Would you teach your son that when something happens at his job that he should quit? When he and his spouse have a fight to get a divorce? When someone close gets cancer to run away? That the message that you are sending to these kids.  Oh. Things are perfect at your school...okay.  Bail on the guys that you have played with since you were five.  Great message bro.    

It's called options/upward mobility...I compare that 2 a job...if u work for a company n another company offers u better pay/benefits and a company car....r u going 2 b loyal 2 ur old company or go the 1 with a better opportunity? Not 2 crap on ur school but I can YouTube Vance, creek, Butler and some more prevelent 4a teams n get thousands of views of our games. It's the nature of the beast these days in HS football..gotta get exposure.

1 hour ago, Idiocracy9090 said:

Once again, you don't have any clue what you are talking about.  My school has a long tradition of success.  We were poised to be one of, if not the best team in big 2a and then three kids transferred to Hough, Mallard Creek, and Huss.  You have no idea what happened so stop trying to sound like you do.     

I see both sides and have been on both sides in some form. 

When the great coach left the program you support the program dropped off bad.  Your school is one high school city system, how do you let that coach get away?  Would not really ask that but he is still in the playoffs at another 2A school.  I do not know the full story on it but I am curious to know more. 

I know the school spent a huge amount on facilities recently but how do you let a state championship caliber coach go to another program?  The coach that was there during the rebuild and just left was brought in from a neighboring county where he built a  solid program back to life.

Why would the players leave?  Three of your best left.  That would be the first thing I would address.  Why are they leaving?  I know the grass is not always greener but some people see it and do not realize it is often artificial turf so basically fake green grass.

I am not attacking, I want to know more about the situation. 

By the way the NCHSAA passed a rule that allows transfers (one time only) with no 365 set out.  That does not require a physical move.  This came about due to a threatened lawsuit by the father of Triangle player who was an ACC assistant.  Charlotte Meck does not allow transfer only but requires the move into the district.  If they discovered the student not to be living there they would remove him from the school and the team.  What would get them to step it up like that I do not know.  I have been away from it for several years.

1 hour ago, btango said:

I see both sides and have been on both sides in some form. 

When the great coach left the program you support the program dropped off bad.  Your school is one high school city system, how do you let that coach get away?  Would not really ask that but he is still in the playoffs at another 2A school.  I do not know the full story on it but I am curious to know more. 

I know the school spent a huge amount on facilities recently but how do you let a state championship caliber coach go to another program?  The coach that was there during the rebuild and just left was brought in from a neighboring county where he built a  solid program back to life.

Why would the players leave?  Three of your best left.  That would be the first thing I would address.  Why are they leaving?  I know the grass is not always greener but some people see it and do not realize it is often artificial turf so basically fake green grass.

I am not attacking, I want to know more about the situation. 

By the way the NCHSAA passed a rule that allows transfers (one time only) with no 365 set out.  That does not require a physical move.  This came about due to a threatened lawsuit by the father of Triangle player who was an ACC assistant.  Charlotte Meck does not allow transfer only but requires the move into the district.  If they discovered the student not to be living there they would remove him from the school and the team.  What would get them to step it up like that I do not know.  I have been away from it for several years.

These fanboys don't get it...they look at it from their fan points of view but don't understand life is all about opportunities. There's no way this guy would stay in a job he wasn't happy at jus 2 prove loyality...but there's no loyality n anything.. especially sports. My advice for my son..work hard do what u do but always look 2 better urself...I'm sure that's what his coach is doing.

Wow this guy is way over the top. Dude it’s HS Football and people move on. Believe it or not Creek, Hough & Vance had kids transfer as well it’s not unique to your school. Coach up the players you have and get better smh

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Idiocracy9090 said:

I get the frustration. I really do. There is an emotional investment as a fan and certainly as a coach. That said with every post you just continue to prove my point. This is simply about wins and losses...." poised to be one of the best teams in 2a and the three kids transfer".  Its got zero to do with message or someone getting cancer. Your pissed because as either a fan/parent or coach it cost you a chance at a title. Period.  If these 3 kids were 165lb back up LB's you wouldnt be on here ranting about community because the truth is you would not care. Lets at least be transparent with the motivation.

I have seen these transfers go different ways. Have had multiple conversations with parents. They describe weight rooms where kids spend their time on their phones with zero supervision. Not a good environment for success. Many of the parents who transfer to MC  are only disappointed because they didnt do it sooner. I have also seen the talented kid who gets moved from a good program because they didnt like how the coach treated them or how many touches he got. That move typically goes poorly. The kid who was the QB at Rocky River mover from Indy to Mallard Creek to RR. He wasnt gonna play at MC........he is playing at RR. Thats the way life works and its their decision.

For better or worse this is cultural and has little to do with HS football or sports. The days of the guy who puts 40 years in the mills and then retires is gone. Not coming back. You want to talk loyalty??  Go talk to some of the people in Kannapolis about what happens when the music stops and you dont have a seat. Avg time at a job is now less than 7 years. Kevin Durant cant win a title he goes and finds a team that can. Saban takes the Dolphin job and then leaves them hanging for Bama.

I am familiar with the parent you reference and I dont think he did his kid any favors but in the end that is his decision. Its his kid !!Not the community, not the coaches and certainly not the fans.  You asked what I would do if it was my kid?  My kid never had the athletic skill set to succeed past the HS level so for me it was always about what he wanted and where he was having fun and getting the right discipline. I can tell you though if I had a kid who could play or excel at really anything whether that be football or singing in the choir I would have done everything in my power to put him in the best position to be successful not just in HS but in life and I wouldn't have cared less about coaches or community. Why??  Because once they are done the coaches and community move on........he will always be my son.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

I can tell you though if I had a kid who could play or excel at really anything whether that be football or singing in the choir I would have done everything in my power to put him in the best position to be successful not just in HS but in life and I wouldn't have cared less about coaches or community. Why??  Because once they are done the coaches and community move on........he will always be my son.  

NC School of the Arts.  NC School of Science and Math.  Northwestern School of the Arts.  Do not hear people about students going there but they get them from all grades of high school.

15 minutes ago, btango said:

NC School of the Arts.  NC School of Science and Math.  Northwestern School of the Arts.  Do not hear people about students going there but they get them from all grades of high school.

Yup....and nobody screams about leaving the community or what happens if those kids get married and have a fight. Its just parents doing what they believe is in the best interest of the kid. Have a former neighbor who pulled his kid from MC to go to Northwestern.........kid just got her first Broadway play. Think it worked out. :)

8 hours ago, Idiocracy9090 said:

Well then you must not know the same people that I know.  Maybe you aren't mad at that, but a lot of people are.  

I feel your pain, but I guess I'm used to it now. We have open enrollment in Forsyth county so players can go anywhere as long as they have a ride and it has completely destroyed my former high school. 

20 hours ago, forsythco said:

I feel your pain, but I guess I'm used to it now. We have open enrollment in Forsyth county so players can go anywhere as long as they have a ride and it has completely destroyed my former high school.

If your talking about Carver, smh I feel your pain. My brothers and tons of my friends played there and it was a really top notch program. To say it’s a shell of itself would be giving them a compliment 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, forsythco said:

It appears stupid administrative decisions and politics have hurt many of the schools in Forsyth County.  Should never be 1A and 2A schools in that county.  Also, if you are going to deem a school a college prep school the students should score better than average of testing and not near the bottom of the county.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreboy said:

If your talking about Carver, smh I feel your pain. My brothers and tons of my friends played there and it was a really top notch program. To say it’s a shell of itself would be giving them a compliment 

Yup, I'm talking about Carver. What happened to my school feels like some type of crime honestly. But what can I do? We have a stigma on our school for things that happen at others school as well. 

• Like 1