tarheelg61581

Way Too Early Discussion of 2021 Realignment

1 hour ago, LarryRandolph said:

Heard odds were U.W.Harrie Charter may go 2A next realignment.  North Stanly possibly, but likely to stay 1A.

North will be right on the cutoff I expect but think they will be in 1A.  If the next alignment takes in a larger percentage of schools to 1A (25 instead of 20) should definitely stay 1A.

Does North Rowan staying open for operation affect Chatham Central's possible move back to the YVC for 2019-2020?  With West Montgomery leaving, perhaps they still let Chatham Central return? Anyone with info on that? 

8 hours ago, Fumblerooski said:

Would  adding a 5th classification help? 1A-5A?

Often suggested and discussed by schools and NCHSAA but causes concern when the potential conferences are drawn up.

21 hours ago, btango said:

Often suggested and discussed by schools and NCHSAA but causes concern when the potential conferences are drawn up.

I guess there could be some geographically large conferences... has anyone ever put pencil to paper and see?

One year when realignment was being discussed I saw the plans for five classifications.  It caused a lot of crazy conferences and probably causes  more problems for the remote schools.  Having four classifications results in a large number of split conferences.  Five would cause more.  Schools want less.

There is not a good fix.  People complain but when they see the options they often realize the devil they are dealing with may be the best one to dance with.

On 11/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, BlueRam$00 said:

Why not split the 10 team conference of all the Davidson County Schools and stick Walkertown, North Forsyth if they drop, and West Stokes with them? Straight shot down 52 for West Stokes.

West Stokes

Walkertown

North Forsyth

North Davidson 

Oak Grove 

Ledford

Forbush-or MVAC

Atkins if they stay 2A

Then the other could be 

Central Davidson

Thomasville

East Davidson

West Davidson

Lexington 

Salisbury 

The MVAC

Ashe

West Wilkes

North Wilkes 

Wilkes Central

North Surry

Surry Central

Forbush maybe

Not a bad lineup honestly. I'd go with that and include 'Bush. However here are  my few cents:

The WPAC as a whole has been universally hated. It didn't really need to exist to begin with and it only came about due to internal stuff from the Northwest when it was split from the early 2010's. The first few years was dreadful when Carver was running roughshot but thankfully the conference has more parity since then.  However the state continues to try to give the Forsyth schools control over it and it's making the conference messy. The Forsyth schools bring little to no gate every year in Football and the non Winston schools have to rely on non conference.  Carver for instance brought a whole whopping 4 fans to our game last October.. it was so sad seeing all the empty silver bleachers in the paper.   The Surry/Stokes schools gave a solid effort to redo the Northwest as a split and from I hear they are considering it again but the state wanted none of it. Forbush didn't help us either so it lost. They were willing to let Bush in but they had a fit and wanted to be in the MVAC so it all went down.

My biggest issue with the whole post 2013 setup is that they have allowed the MVAC off the hook twice while the Northwest and the non Forsyth schools are having gate issues.  The MVAC seems to be untouchable and I really don't know why.  It wouldn't kill the MVAC 1A teams to be with the Surry county 1A schools at all in fact I really don't get why they don't. Same for the 2A, MVAC started as a 2A/3A with all the teams plus NS, SC, and 'Bush. 

So here's how I'd do it:

MVAC 2A:

Ashe

Forbush

North Surry

North Wilkes

Surry Central

West Wilkes

Wilkes Central

NW 1A:

Alleghany

East Surry

East Wilkes

Elkin

Mount AIry

Starmount

WPAC 2A/1A:

Bishop

Carver

North Forsyth

North Stokes

South Stokes

West Stokes

This setup would solve the issue completely however people just seem to hate Splits and I don't know why.   However there also is a lot of ? marks in terms of schools so it's gonna be hard to say if this is even do-able.  North Stokes is in danger I hear of being closed as is their middle school due budget issues, it looks like West will get most of their kids and maybe become a 3A unless South gets some.  Sadly that whole issue was caused decades ago when West was built.  Carver's gonna drop if they keep on losing kids, they may be in danger too.  North Wilkes is tugging the 1A borderline currently as they lost a little below 100 kids last year (70,)  and have dropped steady since when they won the conference title in Football.  They barely had a JV squad last year.  If they lose as much this year as in 2018 they will be 1A.  That won't kill a 2A MVAC but it will be 6 instead of 7.  It's hard to say how North Forsyth will do, they could very well gain enough kids to return to 3A (honestly I think the state moved way to fast dropping them, shoulda waited.)  Atkins could drop some as well you never know with Forsyth schools they can be a timebomb or explode for the better. 

I don't see Starmount rising to 2A; they may toe the line perhaps but they are solid 1A for me. West Wilkes was in danger at one point of returning to 1A but I think they will stay up.  As for the new schools IDK if M Charter's ready for the Northwest or not. Granted they had a lot of courage and played some public schools however they got destroyed and I just don't see them playing anyone for a few years. I honestly doubt they will ever do Football it would ignite a powder keg in MA.

Another thing I don't get is why the state won't consider putting the Forsyth schools back in the original PAC? They could also include HP Andrews and Randleman and put Trinity and the other schools in a more friendlier place where Jordan Matthews and Trinity could do better. Carver would do better here and I see Walkertown competing too.

As for my personal bias I'd really love a return to the MVAC. It's where I played JV ball and I always loved the playing areas of those schools. Granted the travel is a more than the WPAC but a 6  team MVAC would be awesome plus we can have some fun non conference games. 

When dropping a school mid alignment period the current high school class is viewed as are the feeder middle school classes along with a recent review of the enrollment variations.  In a smaller town economic factors are reviews such as the closing of or planned closing of businesses.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, btango said:

One year when realignment was being discussed I saw the plans for five classifications.  It caused a lot of crazy conferences and probably causes  more problems for the remote schools.  Having four classifications results in a large number of split conferences.  Five would cause more.  Schools want less.

There is not a good fix.  People complain but when they see the options they often realize the devil they are dealing with may be the best one to dance with.

I don't know when they discussed it but in the recent future wake county has added for 5 4AA schools. It might might be a bit of an issue but for a few schools but without really looking at it, to me it makes too much sense for most of them.

https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa...s3ORjHIliSoRZ8Cobs4WZuPE2K-GOg9uQYs3RAVe87_NA

The next realignment process has been delayed a year. The new conferences will still go into effect in the 2021-2022 school year, this just eliminates the “lame duck year.” I like this because enrollment fluctuates and a school may be 3A size when the realignment figures come out, however when the new conferences actually start 2 years later, enrollment may have dropped to 2A size and they are stuck in 3A for at least 2 years...usually 4. Case in point...Burns...thankfully we were able to move down this year but I digress. Now this might just be a one off...because they are looking to add 5A. They basically already have...but are just calling it “4AA” for now. They have to change the bylaws. But sounds like it’s gonna happen. Just not sure how the classifications are gonna be divided up, or how the playoffs are going to work yet. Should be interesting. The football coaches and AD’s are just going to have to hit the ground running on the scheduling for 2021 and 2022 because of the process being postponed. That’s the only downside to this.