Sign in to follow this  
tarheelg61581

Way Too Early Discussion of 2021 Realignment

4 hours ago, btango said:

It may do the reverse.  It has been looked st fir every realignment since the 1990’s an will be on the table fir this upcoming one..  Sounds good until you see it mapped out.  

This option was presented to the schools four years ago as a potential setup for the current alignment.  At all eight region meetings one of, if not the first question was, “will we still subdivide football?!?”  

I think if you went to five classifications, we should not subdivide.

3 hours ago, LarryRandolph said:

I think if you went to five classifications, we should not subdivide.

I agree!  Get the football coaches to accept that.

23 minutes ago, football101 said:

Keep it 4 classes. take 48 teams to playoffs and sub divide into 6 classes or divisions , all sports.

The following has always been my plan:

Six divisions of 32 teams.  Each class represented equally by same percentage of teams in each class.

D1 largest 32 teams.  D6 smallest 32.  Classification has nothing to do with division a team is placed only their enrollment that year.

Five rounds. No byes.  Six champions.

i like four classes for non football due to the competitiveness and teams from the smaller half of the class seem to compete well.  1A needs to be reviewed.  “Traditional” school needs to be defined.

I'm fine with that ! I like 48  teams, 6 champions because 64 is to many. I like going on each years enrollment so no team gains an advantage due to new lines or opening of new schools.

21 minutes ago, football101 said:

I'm fine with that ! I like 48  teams, 6 champions because 64 is to many. I like going on each years enrollment so no team gains an advantage due to new lines or opening of new schools.

48 teams requires byes.  Get away from that!

Travel isnt an issue in football.  I'm all for football only leagues. In our league, South Brunswick has 1050 students and Laney has 2200.  Why on earth are they in the same conference?

Football only leagues would allow them to go play like-minded schools (South Columbus, St. Pauls, other borderline 2AA/3A teams.) West, New Hanover, and Topsail should be playing the schools in either Jacksonville or Fayetteville who are around 1300 to 1600.  

We already have to play Lumberton and Cary out of conference because the Three Rivers has 10 games and none of us can schedule them, it would also open us up to play the Wilmington schools out of conference.. Believe it or not.....WE WOULD SAVE money in a league where we go to Fayetteville three times a year.  

They'll never agree to reducing the playoffs.  

With 8 state champions we have a champion for about 1 in every 75 schools.  Its already more difficult to win a state championship in North Carolina then SC, GA, and Florida based on those numbers.

With our enrollment discrepancies in the four class system, I could make the argument we should have more state champions.   

1 hour ago, TrojanCoachWBHS said:

They'll never agree to reducing the playoffs.  

With 8 state champions we have a champion for about 1 in every 75 schools.  Its already more difficult to win a state championship in North Carolina then SC, GA, and Florida based on those numbers.

With our enrollment discrepancies in the four class system, I could make the argument we should have more state champions.   

Your numbers are incorrect.  There is a state champion in football for every 47 schools that field a team.  SC is 44 schools.  GA has a football champion for about every 55 schools.  The discrepancy in enrollment in both of those states would rival NC.

5 minutes ago, btango said:

Your numbers are incorrect.  There is a state champion in football for every 47 schools that field a team.  SC is 44 schools.  GA has a football champion for about every 55 schools.  The discrepancy in enrollment in both of those states would rival NC.

I do think that number gets skewed a little bit with the 20/30/30/20 rule.  With 2A's and 3'a, you are essentially competing with 60 other schools. In 1A and 4A, you are competing with about 40.  

I believe we should have a class system where it is pretty equitable across the board in terms of playoff percentages and the state champions.  Only way to do this is classification alterations.

6 Classes with subdividing the highest and lowest class would work as well.  The thought of them decreasing their cash cow just isnt going to happen.  

2 hours ago, TrojanCoachWBHS said:

I do think that number gets skewed a little bit with the 20/30/30/20 rule.  With 2A's and 3'a, you are essentially competing with 60 other schools. In 1A and 4A, you are competing with about 40.  

I believe we should have a class system where it is pretty equitable across the board in terms of playoff percentages and the state champions.  Only way to do this is classification alterations.

6 Classes with subdividing the highest and lowest class would work as well.  The thought of them decreasing their cash cow just isnt going to happen.  

Lets discuss who really wants eight playoff champions.

Subdividing football started in 2001 with 1A.  A group of eastern 1A coaches pushed for this due to the then much larger 1A enrollment cutoff.  The following season all three classes went to subdividing.

During the last realignment plannng period the NCHSAA had options for discussion at all eight region meetings.  Four years ago this coming spring.  Several options were present and discussed.  Three classifications subdividing team sports to six champions.  Five six class option.  Current four classification with different number of teams in the classes which is somewhat where it ended up.

When the five classification option was mentioned one of the very first questions asked (and it was at all eight meetings!) was would football still be subdivided.  The NCHSAA thought was no.  The schools waffled about it not being subdivided.

In recent years the NCHSAA requested 1A schools to go to 32 total teams in the playoffs.  Two 16 teams brackets finishing a week before the other three classifications.  Last year 1A and 4A were both requested to go to four rounds of 32 teams subdivided.  Finish the week before the 2A and 3A.

The NCHSAA is not who would fight to keep subdividing / eight champions.  It is the schools and in particular the coaches. 

For the record, I am not for four state champions.  I would like to see six.  I have shown the plan in the past.  That is one state title for every 63 schools.  Currently it is every 47 schools.  It would allow for five round playoffs and 196 teams making the playoffs.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:26 PM, SPRaiders78 said:

Just put the Charter Schools in their own classification like the privates. That would take care of a lot of the problems right there. 

I'm in favor of school choice. If your kid is in a school that is underachieving and full of trouble, I think if there are alternatives you should be able to take advantage of them. I don't however believe those Charter and Private schools should be viewed the same especially in sports. Let parents choose which is more important to them. Of course my wife who taught for 25 years in NC Public schools disagrees with me completely.  She tells me it is just another form of segregation. I don't see it that way but old conservative white men see the world very different than the rest of society.

Definitely Charters are the legislators method of segregation. Backed for the urban areas of the state such as Charlotte, Greensboro, and Raleigh metro areas.