Sign in to follow this  
tarheelg61581

Way Too Early Discussion of 2021 Realignment

It's only about a year away before the officials in charge of realignment will begin looking at the new set of conferences for the four year cycle to run from 2021-2025....With this year's ADM numbers, I started tinkering with some numbers and realize they have quite a dilemma, and must say that I quickly discovered exactly why they went with the 20/30/30/20 model for the 2017-2021 cycle. As you might guess, if you follow high school sports (or politics) in NC and read a lot of message board banter, the primary complicating issue is charter schools: For years and years, the 25% rule worked well to separate the four classes, but now with SO many schools with enrollments of 300 or less, many of whom do not have a football program, going 25% across the board would put 104-105 schools in each class, but in 1A, only 68 of the 104 current schools in the bottom 25% of all schools actually have a football program. As many more charter schools have applied to open over the next few years, the number of non-football 1A schools will most likely continue to increase. 

What the NCHSAA did for the 2017 realignment, to offset this problem of a disproportionate number of 1A schools without football, was go to a 20%/30%/30%/20%, using only the football playing schools (about 380) from the total number (about 420), then when they set the ADM range for 1A/2A/3A/4A, then went back and plugged in the non-football schools in the appropriate class, so we wound up with something like 78 4A schools, 114 3A schools, 116 2A schools (DSA & NCSSM without football), and 111 1A schools (including about 75 with football plus about 36 without it).

Looking ahead to 2021, many are clamoring to return to the old 25/25/25/25, but here's the problem: If we go to a straight 25/25/25/25 and use the same process of taking out the non-football schools to set the range for each class, then add them in after the class range is set, then we wind up with something like: 95 schools in 4A, 96 schools in 3A, 97 schools in 2A (these all seem reasonable) BUT....132 in 1A, with potentially 4 or 5 new ones added every year or two as more charter schools open...and bear in mind, about 36 or more of them do not have football)....perhaps the board of directors or realignment committee or whoever decides such matters would be ok with this, as it would allow both 1A & 4A football playoffs to probably go back to allowing 64 teams to qualify instead of 48. I think the most troubling aspect of this plan (if football schools are taken out when setting the range) is not that there are 132 1A schools, but that the ranges would be as follows: 1A would be ADM up to ~725.....2A would be ADM ~734-1019.....3A would be ADM ~1023-1506.....and 4A would be ADM ~1507 and up

For what it's worth, if they use the same 20/30/30/20 process they used for the 2017 realignment, and take out the non-football schools when setting the class ranges, right now we would be looking at approximately 76 4A schools, 116 3A schools, 115 2A schools, and 111 1A schools (only about 75 with football). The class range cut lines would be as follows: 1A ADM up to 626....2A ADM from 628-1013.....3A ADM from 1014-1596.....4A ADM from 1622-3513

If they go to a straight up 25/25/25/25 and not take into account whether or not a school has a football program....That would put 104-105 schools in each class, and allow 4A to probably go back to 64 teams in the playoffs (and 1A in many sports, not football though), and the cut lines would be as follows: 1A: ADM up to 592.....2A would be ADM 596-943.....3A would be ADM 944-1480......4A would be ADM 1482-3513.

Many schools will probably look much different next year, but remember one thing, just like every year if you go into the A or AA subdivisions for the playoffs: It's not just about whether or not your school goes up or down; it's about how much you rise or fall, RELATIVE TO EVERYBODY ELSE

Yes but with split classifications 25/25/25/25 in the 2A would roughly be 596-770 and 2AA would be 771-943. The gap is much larger for the current breakdown of 20/30/30/20 in both 2A and 3A from bottom to top of each classification. those are the 2 classes effected the most I believe.

Looks like with the 25/25/25/25 split and count all schools you could either not split the 1A classification for State or better yet, go ahead and split the football schools into 1A and 1AA but only allow 32 teams to qualify instead of 48. This would still be very close to half the 1A schools making the playoffs and that should be fine if still getting 2 champions. Not trying to punish the 1A schools but I think you could get a good get 2 good champions out of 16 western teams and 16 eastern teams. Seed conference #1s and then use some other form of rankings to seed the remainder of the playoffs. Some conference may only get 1 bid, but teams with 1 or 2 wins are not going deep into the playoffs anyways.

2A-AA, 3A-AA and 4A/AA still have the 64 teams which I realize slightly over half, or cut those back to 48 teams in the playoffs and actually allow the football playoffs to end prior to to the kids having to jump straight into basketball. I'm sure these thoughts have been posted many times before, but just throwing this out there. 

• Like 1

Good topic and good opening post!

A few thoughts.

My preference is that football is aligned separately than all other sports.  Football is "different" than the other sports and I believe it should be reviewed separately.  The non football sports are much more along the same lines to include girls sports.  I would like to see the realignment go as standard year 1 then football realign in year 3.  Think Summer and Winter Olympics:  2016 and 2018.  2020 and 2022.  I believe this could give the football coaches more autonomy and improve the game but they have to work together as one and not several fragmented groups determined by class, geography, success, et al.  This was put forth to the schools when the process for the current alignment being played under today started the review discussions.  Schools were against it.  Some of the reasons given were it would be too confusing, people would not understand, it would hurt rivalries, among others.  

I bring up the following split because I have learned that the baseball coaches have been discussing subdividing and may have voted on it.  Let me make it clear I do not favor subdividing non football sports except for a major caveat I will discuss further into this.  We have seen small A schools play for and win championships.  I do believe the subdividing of non football sports will cause a drop in the quality of the game(s).

I think one thing that could be looked at is going to more teams in 2A and 3A but subdivide for all team sports.  Do NOT subdivide for individual sports!  The split may could be 16/34/34/16 or somewhere in that area.  The 1A and 4A schools seem to be pocketed together more in smaller or more isolated geographical areas. 

Here is the kicker, for 1A subdivide for all team sports OTHER than football as "traditional" or "non traditional".  The biggest logistical issue will be how to determine what is a "traditional" school.  First, all charters and magnet schools are non traditional.  WS Prep, School of Science and Math, Lincoln Charter, Thomas Jeffereson, Gray Stone, et al will all be non traditional.  The fight will be "regular" schools that need to be deemed non traditional due to not following their district lines for enrollment.  Any school that allows a student to play athletics that does not live in the district boundaries of the school would play non traditional.  Exceptions would be the child of a parent that is a teacher or administrator at the school.  No non faculty coaches children or a part time employees children.  Have to stop ways to work around the rule!  Another exception would be if a student moves from the district after the start of their junior school year they would be allowed to remain in the school.  Would need to determine how to deal with a younger sibling in a situation such as this.  I expect that some laws such as homeless children would be another issue that would require extra review.  This is about being fair to the masses on the playing field and not making exceptions for a small amount of students so they or a school can take advantage of the rules.

That is a lot to think about but just a few items I think that need to be looked at as possible improvements to what we have.

16 minutes ago, Heritage 84 said:

Yes but with split classifications 25/25/25/25 in the 2A would roughly be 596-770 and 2AA would be 771-943. The gap is much larger for the current breakdown of 20/30/30/20 in both 2A and 3A from bottom to top of each classification. those are the 2 classes effected the most I believe.

Looks like with the 25/25/25/25 split and count all schools you could either not split the 1A classification for State or better yet, go ahead and split the football schools into 1A and 1AA but only allow 32 teams to qualify instead of 48. This would still be very close to half the 1A schools making the playoffs and that should be fine if still getting 2 champions. Not trying to punish the 1A schools but I think you could get a good get 2 good champions out of 16 western teams and 16 eastern teams. Seed conference #1s and then use some other form of rankings to seed the remainder of the playoffs. Some conference may only get 1 bid, but teams with 1 or 2 wins are not going deep into the playoffs anyways.

2A-AA, 3A-AA and 4A/AA still have the 64 teams which I realize slightly over half, or cut those back to 48 teams in the playoffs and actually allow the football playoffs to end prior to to the kids having to jump straight into basketball. I'm sure these thoughts have been posted many times before, but just throwing this out there. 

The 1A schools will flip out just as they did when it was recommend to them during last alignment to look at going to four rounds for each subclass.  They wanted to know why they should be treated different than the other classes.  Well, that is the class that brought you subdividing and the pod system.  I AGREE 1A and 4A should have been four rounds.  32 of 75 teams is over 42%.

If a conference only gets their champion in it would be because their runnerup school is not that strong.  I base this on using the proper power poll and not the one components removed.

Get away from the 48 teams.  Byes need to go!  32 or 64.

Want to end the season earlier.  Cut the season to 11 games in 11 weeks instead of 11 in 12.  I know people like a bye week and they can have one but then only ten games are played.  Someone the line needs to be drawn.  In 4A the winter sport issue is not as much of item but in smaller schools especially the 1A schools it is huge!

• Like 1

Just put the Charter Schools in their own classification like the privates. That would take care of a lot of the problems right there. 

I'm in favor of school choice. If your kid is in a school that is underachieving and full of trouble, I think if there are alternatives you should be able to take advantage of them. I don't however believe those Charter and Private schools should be viewed the same especially in sports. Let parents choose which is more important to them. Of course my wife who taught for 25 years in NC Public schools disagrees with me completely.  She tells me it is just another form of segregation. I don't see it that way but old conservative white men see the world very different than the rest of society.

3 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Just put the Charter Schools in their own classification like the privates. That would take care of a lot of the problems right there. 

I'm in favor of school choice. If your kid is in a school that is underachieving and full of trouble, I think if there are alternatives you should be able to take advantage of them. I don't however believe those Charter and Private schools should be viewed the same especially in sports. Let parents choose which is more important to them. Of course my wife who taught for 25 years in NC Public schools disagrees with me completely.  She tells me it is just another form of segregation. I don't see it that way but old conservative white men see the world very different than the rest of society.

There is little difference in school choice and charter schools.  Charter schools are choice just as attending a public high school that is not your home district school.

Both are public schools that allow students to come to that school if there are seats available.  Some school districts charge tuition if you do not live in the district, ie out of the county or city schools boundary. 

You cannot compare the 1A classification to the larger schools.  Totally different animal.  

Charters are not the only problem in 1A.  Open magnets and schools that allow students that do not live in the school's geographical district are a big issue at the small school level.  

All good points guys, agree and could live with most any of these I'm sure, but one thing I disagree on to a point is that it is any easier to field a State Championship caliber team with 5 players in basketball or 9 players in baseball, that just does not add up. It is much easier to find 8-9 basketball players to compete year end and year out at a 2A school with 1050 kids, then it is at a 2A school with 660 kids. That is just a fact. You will seldom see a team at the bottom ADMs of a classification win a state championship in the other team sports as well. I'm not saying it has not happened but i do not think it happens on a regular basis. Oh and I am not one that wants to see every kid get a trophy. I'm as far from that side of the fence as you can be. 

How long has it been since a small traditional 1A school has won the state in basketball or baseball? I know Murphy won it in baseball a couple years ago or at least made the championship, but they were up above 500 students I believe.

I will agree if you can take a traditional school with 280 kids and defeat Winston Salem Prep for a 1A State championship in basketball, that would be an achievement of a life time.   

I do think the adopted rule of allowing 1 transfer in high school will really cut back on some of the transfers. I know of some cases of multiple transfers back and forth for particular sports that took place. Hard to believe either school went for that situation.

2 minutes ago, Heritage 84 said:

How long has it been since a small traditional 1A school has won the state in basketball or baseball? I know Murphy won it in baseball a couple years ago or at least made the championship, but they were up above 500 students I believe.

Note, that I discussed the issue in 1A and my proposal to alleviate that.  The problem is more prevalent in 1A and gradually the charters will dominate every non football sport except for in few instances.

The smallest schools in the class will almost always be at a disadvantage but there has to be a line.  I am confident that it is easier to find five or nine than 11-22 players to field a competitive team.  I have seen basketball teams with three or four average players at best in a state title game but they a star or two.  To field a football team over a season you will basically need four times as many players as are needed in basketball.  Baseball seems to rely more on one position than even football.  Softball takes that to an even higher level.

Smaller schools are competitive in basketball in 2A, 3A, and 4A.   Saw a list a few years ago of the finalists for boys and girls and where they ranked in the classification per enrollment.  Many smaller schools did well.  4A boys was right at split between the two.  

Whiteville has dominated the last few years with a superstar in 1A baseball.  South Stanly, Cherryville, East Columbus were all small 1A.  Those schools won five of the last ten titles and Whiteville four.

1 hour ago, Heritage 84 said:

I do think the adopted rule of allowing 1 transfer in high school will really cut back on some of the transfers. I know of some cases of multiple transfers back and forth for particular sports that took place. Hard to believe either school went for that situation.

The rule does not remove the prior issue.  The prior rule required a change or primary residency unless the LEA had a different rule.  The new rule allows a student to change schools without changing their primary residency.  Students can still change schools at any time with a valid residency change.  That is where a lot of the "transfers" were coming from.  

Awesome way to break this down! My one wish is in 2021 that they try and get a fix to some of these western based conferences that only play 5 conference games at 1A/2A Up more because im sure its hard to schedule more non conference games later in the year when your in late September and a lot of teams are beginning conference play. Just as an Example What if you took the 4 1A teams in the MVAC and combined them with the 6 teams in Northwest 1A that could be a solid conference thats predominantly conference games and then put the 2A Teams that are in the MVAC over in the Western Piedmont. Just a thought that might could work, Now granite a couple teams could look elsewhere to bring the size of the combined conferences down a tick but a 9 or 10 team conference doesn't seem bad considering less hassle of scheduling non conference games every couple of years.      

1 hour ago, radioguy16 said:

Awesome way to break this down! My one wish is in 2021 that they try and get a fix to some of these western based conferences that only play 5 conference games at 1A/2A Up more because im sure its hard to schedule more non conference games later in the year when your in late September and a lot of teams are beginning conference play. Just as an Example What if you took the 4 1A teams in the MVAC and combined them with the 6 teams in Northwest 1A that could be a solid conference thats predominantly conference games and then put the 2A Teams that are in the MVAC over in the Western Piedmont. Just a thought that might could work, Now granite a couple teams could look elsewhere to bring the size of the combined conferences down a tick but a 9 or 10 team conference doesn't seem bad considering less hassle of scheduling non conference games every couple of years.      

Combining the NW1A and MVC 1A/2A teams was discussed during the last realignment but some of the schools were not in favor due to more travel.   I think the WPC also figured into the plan as well.  The proposed conferences were:

Northwest 1A

Mount Airy

East Surry

North Stokes

South Stokes

East Wilkes

Alleghany

Starmount

Elkin

MVC 2A

North Surry

Surry Central

Forbush

West Stokes

West Wilkes

North Wilkes

Ashe County

Wilkes Central

I along with a lot of others would love to see these two conferences put together the next realignment.  The question is what do you do with the left over schools from the WPAC and the NWC.  I think the left over schools could go with a conference around Winston Salem/Rockingham County.  It is going to be interesting this time next year to see all the proposals.  

I can see the travel concerns I.E. Ashe to West Stokes but Alleghany plays North Stokes in non conference anyway so I dont see a big deal there. I think these would be good ways to have everyone together and make for a better more competitive league from top to bottom in each one.   

2 hours ago, Kickslide_DriveStep said:

Combining the NW1A and MVC 1A/2A teams was discussed during the last realignment but some of the schools were not in favor due to more travel.   I think the WPC also figured into the plan as well.  The proposed conferences were:

Northwest 1A

Mount Airy

East Surry

North Stokes

South Stokes

East Wilkes

Alleghany

Starmount

Elkin

MVC 2A

North Surry

Surry Central

Forbush

West Stokes

West Wilkes

North Wilkes

Ashe County

Wilkes Central

I along with a lot of others would love to see these two conferences put together the next realignment.  The question is what do you do with the left over schools from the WPAC and the NWC.  I think the left over schools could go with a conference around Winston Salem/Rockingham County.  It is going to be interesting this time next year to see all the proposals.  

I agree that these conferences (or some form of them) would be a great fit. As for the Winston Salem 1A/2A schools, it's hard to figure out a conference for them.  One option would be to have 1 split conference there.  Another option would be to have a 1A that included WS Prep, Bishop, Carver (probably moving down during the next realignment), Cornerstone Charter out of Greensboro, South Stokes and North Stokes.  That would take the 2 furthest teams from the NW1A and move them to the new 1A...but word is that Millenium Charter in Mt.Airy is going to try and join the NCHSAA soon, so they will be in whatever conference Mt.Airy is in.  I don't think either South Stokes or North Stokes would want that, but when was the last time the NCHSAA really cared what member schools wanted?  As for 2A, you would have Atkins, Walkertown and North Forsyth (probably 2A by then).  You may could add West Stokes with them but that would still only give you 4 teams.  You may could put West Stokes and N.Forsyth with the MVAC and move Walkertown/Atkins in with the Davidson conferences, but I don't know if they'd do that.  As much as everyone would love to see the old NW1A and old MV2A back, the schools in Forsyth make that nearly impossible to have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NWWatchdog said:

I agree that these conferences (or some form of them) would be a great fit. As for the Winston Salem 1A/2A schools, it's hard to figure out a conference for them.  One option would be to have 1 split conference there.  Another option would be to have a 1A that included WS Prep, Bishop, Carver (probably moving down during the next realignment), Cornerstone Charter out of Greensboro, South Stokes and North Stokes.  That would take the 2 furthest teams from the NW1A and move them to the new 1A...but word is that Millenium Charter in Mt.Airy is going to try and join the NCHSAA soon, so they will be in whatever conference Mt.Airy is in.  I don't think either South Stokes or North Stokes would want that, but when was the last time the NCHSAA really cared what member schools wanted?  As for 2A, you would have Atkins, Walkertown and North Forsyth (probably 2A by then).  You may could add West Stokes with them but that would still only give you 4 teams.  You may could put West Stokes and N.Forsyth with the MVAC and move Walkertown/Atkins in with the Davidson conferences, but I don't know if they'd do that.  As much as everyone would love to see the old NW1A and old MV2A back, the schools in Forsyth make that nearly impossible to have.

The problem with MCA and Cornerstone is I doubt they field complete athletic programs which means scheduling is a mess.  Doubt they field football teams anytime soon.    I would venture to say that none of the schools within Surry/Stokes/Yadkin are in favor of being in a conference with those two schools.  There could be a 1A/2A split conference with Walkertown, North Forsyth, Reidsville (probably 1A next time), WS Prep, Bishop, Carver, Cornerstrone.  Atkins will be 3A next realignment potentially.  They are growing and turned away alot of kids this year due to capacity in their current building.  They are building a new building I believe.  You also have NC Leadership Academy who is wanting to join the NCHSAA.  If that happened then their are enough 1A teams to form another conference altogether or keep it a split conference.   If the state did that you could then have the old NW1A and bring in MCA and then have the MVAC 2A .  In my eyes, that is a easy fix for all involved and great from a competitive and a financial standpoint.  Right now a lot of our schools are being killed with lack of gate due to a lot of the Winston schools currently in our conferences not bringing any fan base with them and the lack of competition is hurting the conference overall in all sports except for basketball.  

That last one would be interesting for forsyth county because then you have to figure out what teams fit in that category of numbers. North Forsyth with 1014, Atkins with 1019 Western Guildford with 1323 but no others in the immediate area. 

I like your idea, but you also have to take into account that the current MVAC 1A schools don’t want to join with the NW1A schools. Why join a straight 1A conference when you can be in a split conference and have 2 chances to pick up a 1 seed for the playoffs (see Starmount this year as the #2 overall seed with a 5-6 overall record).

NC Leadership Academy is already a member. They are playing independent this season. 

So you could have a conference of:

Bishop

Cornerstone

NCLA

WSP

Carver

South Stokes

North Stokes

Then another conference of:

Alleghany

Elkin

East Wilkes

Starmount(a possibility they could move back up to 2A)

Mount Airy

East Surry 

MCA

15 hours ago, BlueRam$00 said:

NC Leadership Academy is already a member. They are playing independent this season. 

So you could have a conference of:

Bishop

Cornerstone

NCLA

WSP

Carver

South Stokes

North Stokes

Then another conference of:

Alleghany

Elkin

East Wilkes

Starmount(a possibility they could move back up to 2A)

Mount Airy

East Surry 

MCA

It’s not realigning the 1A’s that’s the problem, it’s realigning the 2A’s. If you make the 1A conferences that you suggest, you would have to make 2A conferences with the remaining MVAC 2A members & WPAC members + possibly N.Forsyth (could be dropping to 2A). I’m sure N.Surry, S.Central, & Forbush would rather combine with W.Wilkes, N.Wilkes, Ashe, W.Central rather than Atkins (could be 3A), Walkertown, N.Forsyth, and West Stokes. If the state combined the MVAC 2A’s with the Western WPAC members, that would leave 2-3 Winston Salem schools with no where to go. Most likely scenario is keeping MVAC as 1A/2A, WPAC as 2A, and adding Carver, Millenium Charter, and possibly NCLA to the NW1A to make a horribly weak conference in most sports!

Really would like to see the Central Tar Heel 1A  and Yadkin Valley stay the same except swap out Uwharrie Charter for Chatham Central. Put UCA in with the other Charter school and CC back with regular high schools and send Gray Stone back over there with Union Academy. 

Could also look at a seriously reduced travel split conference:

Chatham/Alamance 1A/2A

1A's

Chatham Central

Chatham Charter

River Mill

Clover Garden

2A's

Graham

Jordan Matthews

Cummings

Would be good for all but Football.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, radioguy16 said:

Awesome way to break this down! My one wish is in 2021 that they try and get a fix to some of these western based conferences that only play 5 conference games at 1A/2A Up more because im sure its hard to schedule more non conference games later in the year when your in late September and a lot of teams are beginning conference play. 

One of the reasons why doing a separate football and basketball alignment.  Football plays a team once in conference, traveling every other year.  Varsity on Friday so returning home late is not a huge issue.  JV is only traveling to an opponent every other year so the Thursday is not as much of a logistical issue.  The non football sports are doing a home and away each school year and traveling during the week on school nights.  This is where the travel distance is an issue in addition to potential lower gates.

1st thing,

Put all charter, private, parochial schools etc in their own playoffs and on classification.  They have a different set of rules athletically and academically but are allowed to play with public schools.  

2nd thing

South Carolina has what they called the “Big 16”  which was a separate playoff for the biggest 16 schools.  If you look at N.C. and the ADMs you will notice that the larger schools in our state are located in the Raleigh or Charlotte area.  My opinion, and take it for what it is worth, is to take the largest 24 schools in our state and put the top 16 in a seperate playoff bracket. Call it 5a. Based off of this year’s numbers 23 or 24 would be in the Wake or Meck County area. (W. Forsyth would be the only team not from the Wake Meck County area).

3rd 

Remove non football schools and do a 25/25/25/25 model.  Add non football back in.  1A will have 1 champion instead of split 1A/1AA due to not having a lot of football schools.  You will still get 8 state champions plus the schools that fall under criteria 1 will also provide a state champion for a total of 9.  It is not perfect but does solve some of our problems

45 minutes ago, Dawg Dynasty said:

1st thing,

Put all charter, private, parochial schools etc in their own playoffs and on classification.  They have a different set of rules athletically and academically but are allowed to play with public schools.  

2nd thing

South Carolina has what they called the “Big 16”  which was a separate playoff for the biggest 16 schools.  If you look at N.C. and the ADMs you will notice that the larger schools in our state are located in the Raleigh or Charlotte area.  My opinion, and take it for what it is worth, is to take the largest 24 schools in our state and put the top 16 in a seperate playoff bracket. Call it 5a. Based off of this year’s numbers 23 or 24 would be in the Wake or Meck County area. (W. Forsyth would be the only team not from the Wake Meck County area).

3rd 

Remove non football schools and do a 25/25/25/25 model.  Add non football back in.  1A will have 1 champion instead of split 1A/1AA due to not having a lot of football schools.  You will still get 8 state champions plus the schools that fall under criteria 1 will also provide a state champion for a total of 9.  It is not perfect but does solve some of our problems

There are only five or six football playing schools among charter and Parochials.  Catholic and Gibbons can play 4A.  

You are missing one of the biggest issues in 1A sports, the urban open magnet and the open enrollment districts in urban areas that have 1A and 2A schools (Forsyth County).

SC has not had the Big 16 for years.  The Big 16 actually determined the 16 largest schools and they had their own conferences and playoff.  All 16 schools made the playoffs regardless of record.  One year a winless team qualified.  SC later went to basically what we have in NC, 4A D1 and D2.  They would determine the teams that qualified for the playoffs and then subclass them by the enrollment.  They eventually subdivided 1A and still later 2A.  The 3A coaches voted against the split for a few years and then voted to subdivide.  Last year SC went to five classifications with no subdividing.

Not sure I understand the third item.  You write to remove non football, classify, and add non football back in which is basically what is done now with the 20/25/25/20.  Why would 1A have only one champion?  If you do a 25%x4 split for football schools 1A will also have 95 football pay with enrollments up to about 750 students.  Once again, I may not be comprehending what you wrote.

How do you come up with nine state champions if you are not subdividing 1A?  I know in your design the other three will split and you will have the charter/private. 

On 11/17/2018 at 10:14 PM, NWWatchdog said:

It’s not realigning the 1A’s that’s the problem, it’s realigning the 2A’s. If you make the 1A conferences that you suggest, you would have to make 2A conferences with the remaining MVAC 2A members & WPAC members + possibly N.Forsyth (could be dropping to 2A). I’m sure N.Surry, S.Central, & Forbush would rather combine with W.Wilkes, N.Wilkes, Ashe, W.Central rather than Atkins (could be 3A), Walkertown, N.Forsyth, and West Stokes. If the state combined the MVAC 2A’s with the Western WPAC members, that would leave 2-3 Winston Salem schools with no where to go. Most likely scenario is keeping MVAC as 1A/2A, WPAC as 2A, and adding Carver, Millenium Charter, and possibly NCLA to the NW1A to make a horribly weak conference in most sports!

Why not split the 10 team conference of all the Davidson County Schools and stick Walkertown, North Forsyth if they drop, and West Stokes with them? Straight shot down 52 for West Stokes.

West Stokes

Walkertown

North Forsyth

North Davidson 

Oak Grove 

Ledford

Forbush-or MVAC

Atkins if they stay 2A

Then the other could be 

Central Davidson

Thomasville

East Davidson