Sign in to follow this  
SPRaiders78

David Pearson

Rate this topic

I just saw where David Pearson died at the age of 83. 

When I was a kid there were very few races on television. But when we got to watch one it was great.

Pearson won 105 races compared to Petty's 200, but probably competed in half as many. I can still see that white Mercery Cyclone with a gold roof and the red 21 in my mind. Those were the days.

I remember that car well. Watched him and Petty dueling it out at a number of races with my favorite at Darlington one year. The man was one brave soul. Bobby Allison, Petty, Pearson, and Cale Yarbrough when racing was not dictated by NASCAR at every level.

It was probably 20 years later but did you ever attend the Saturday Night Race at Bristol. We had season tickets for around 15 years. Before they distroyed the track with graduated banking, that was the best show in NASCAR.

• Like 1

Never been to Bristol. I enjoyed Wilksboro and Darlington more than the bigger tracks. You could see all the cars much like Bristol. 

The last time I was at Bristol, several cars turned qualifiying laps in under 15 seconds. If they could run that fast under race conditions, that would put the same car coming by you 4 times a minute. Now that's crazy.

Crazy thing about Pearson was he did everything on his own. He had no daddy to help him (love Richard but he had everything a racer would dream of to start with,) and he had to fight to get going but he ended up being the rising star no one saw coming.If he hadn't lost his edge to compete full time I see him maybe not getting 200 but 150 wins at least. He more than likely woulda won the 1973 title (sorry Benny,) his season that year was so darn solid.