BlueDevilsBiggestFan

West Caldwell

5 minutes ago, Chris Hughes said:

Isn't Cannon the AD at Wilkes Central now?  I totally agree that he would be an outstanding candidate for the job. 

He might actually apply....he likes the challenge of a rebuild.

Just now, HIBRITEN92 said:

Just poking fun at your OVERWHELMING love for AC

lol i totally missed the sarcasm......

yes oh yes the mighty cooters of AC!

• Like 1

I know we live in a microwave society where positive results should be immediate. However, that isn't how things work. Lasting rewards are often long in the making with many hours spent behind the scenes building success one step at a time. Those who can turn things around instantaneously rarely having enduring success as they have built their fame on a house of cards. In saying this, an 18 year run of mostly futility precedes Holman and, unless change occurs, will continue without him. Unless the resources (i.e. talent) are in place and abundant, building a program of substance takes time. Local to me, I think of the turnaround job Samek has done at Parkland. His first two years begin with an 0-22 record. Year three yields a 3-8 finish followed by 7-5 and then 6-6. If we judged him on his first three years (3-30) we could say he is a terrible coach. If we judged him on years four and five (13-11) we could say he is mediocre at best. Yet here we are in year 6 and Parkland finishes the regular season 10-1. A combined six year record of 26-42. Yet the program has changed. There is talent on the field. There are results showing up on the scoreboard. From a distance it seems that the Parkland community bought into the program and are reaping the rewards. Who knows what the future holds for Samek and Parkland, right now they are trending upward. In situations such as West Caldwell, those in management positions (I can't say leadership because I do not know if they are leaders or administrative placeholders) would do well to investigate the small victories that lead to larger ones. Patience is a virtue few possess. I'm reminded of words from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos who, to paraphrase, said if Amazon had a good quarter it's because of work they did 3, 4, 5 years ago - not because they did a good job that quarter. W. Caldwell needs to have the longest view in the room to make a hire for four-to-five years down the road. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lbedwards said:

I know we live in a microwave society where positive results should be immediate. However, that isn't how things work. Lasting rewards are often long in the making with many hours spent behind the scenes building success one step at a time. Those who can turn things around instantaneously rarely having enduring success as they have built their fame on a house of cards. In saying this, an 18 year run of mostly futility precedes Holman and, unless change occurs, will continue without him. Unless the resources (i.e. talent) are in place and abundant, building a program of substance takes time. Local to me, I think of the turnaround job Samek has done at Parkland. His first two years begin with an 0-22 record. Year three yields a 3-8 finish followed by 7-5 and then 6-6. If we judged him on his first three years (3-30) we could say he is a terrible coach. If we judged him on years four and five (13-11) we could say he is mediocre at best. Yet here we are in year 6 and Parkland finishes the regular season 10-1. A combined six year record of 26-42. Yet the program has changed. There is talent on the field. There are results showing up on the scoreboard. From a distance it seems that the Parkland community bought into the program and are reaping the rewards. Who knows what the future holds for Samek and Parkland, right now they are trending upward. In situations such as West Caldwell, those in management positions (I can't say leadership because I do not know if they are leaders or administrative placeholders) would do well to investigate the small victories that lead to larger ones. Patience is a virtue few possess. I'm reminded of words from Amazon founder Jeff Bezos who, to paraphrase, said if Amazon had a good quarter it's because of work they did 3, 4, 5 years ago - not because they did a good job that quarter. W. Caldwell needs to have the longest view in the room to make a hire for four-to-five years down the road. 

You win the day, this is the best post I've seen all day.  Well done and very accurate.  

• Like 1

I hope West Caldwell can find someone who will invest the time and energy to build something from scratch.  It was sad to see the team non-competitive this season and in all fairness, that's what they were, non-competitive.  Last season they were not bad at all and won 6 games but when practice started in August, less than 30 players showed up (Varsity and JV combined) so it's an uphill battle.  Caldwell County has been notorious in that the football players go to Hibriten, Basketball players go to West Caldwell, and Baseball players of course go to South Caldwell.  It's not quite that simple anymore for a number of reasons.  I wonder if the school system would do some remapping that might decrease the number of students at South and shift them to West.  Just a thought

40 minutes ago, Schmo said:

I hope West Caldwell can find someone who will invest the time and energy to build something from scratch.  It was sad to see the team non-competitive this season and in all fairness, that's what they were, non-competitive.  Last season they were not bad at all and won 6 games but when practice started in August, less than 30 players showed up (Varsity and JV combined) so it's an uphill battle.  Caldwell County has been notorious in that the football players go to Hibriten, Basketball players go to West Caldwell, and Baseball players of course go to South Caldwell.  It's not quite that simple anymore for a number of reasons.  I wonder if the school system would do some remapping that might decrease the number of students at South and shift them to West.  Just a thought

not a chance.

In reality, there should only be 2 schools in the county- South Caldwell and an HHS/West combo school. I doubt I will ever see that happen in my lifetime......it guess its possible though.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:00 PM, Chris Hughes said:

If I were to think out loud a bit at coaches who I think have the pedigree, and more importantly the stature, skills, and know-how to rebuild this program, that list would look a bit like this; (and for the record, none of these guys have shown interest, its just me thinking aloud). 

1. Joe Glass (He has flirted with this job in the past and he would demand that the players buy in and do things his way, I think you would see immediate results taking them in a positive direction.)

2. Butch Carter (He's won big in Caldwell County before and I would throw everything I had at him to get him to return home.  I think he's another coach that would get instant results.)

3. Adrian Snow (I know that they've reached out to him before and I would do so again.  Snow is one of the best in the state and has experience in that region as he did a great job at Watauga)

4. Martin Samek (Look at the job he's done at Parkland, now I don't think he would necessarily be interested in W.C., but I sure would make a call and ask.  He's from Western PA in an area not to different from Caldwell, I think he would thrive up there and he did coach in the South and Western Piedmont regions before in Gaston County and at St. Stephens.)

5. Joe Pinyan (He's out of a job at Carson and his leadership style and power running attack would do well in Caldwell County, and he certainly brings a championship pedigree.)

6. Mike Helms (He's been a winner everywhere and I know he's itching to get back into coaching.  He may be misunderstood on a personal level, has had some high profile trouble, and may appear to have some baggage, but I know for a fact that he is a great football coach, and I know that kids love him and would play hard for him, and he would win.)

7. Allen Whittenburg (He's a coach I would not be surprised to hear got a shot at this job, he's got experience and I think he's a far better coach that his record would indicate.  I also love son's of coaches, they know how to get it done)

8. Tom Eanes (Another coach I would call immediately if I were AD Stephen McMasters would be this fellow, we've seen how quickly he turned Bandys around and his track record for rebuilding has been remarkable.)

9. Randal Gusler (He just hit the 100-win mark in Statesville and you never know, maybe he would want a new challenge?  I don't know, just thinking out load, but he would do great in the foothills.)

10. George Coltharp (He played up the road at Appalachian State, he has had a good run of coaching in the East, and knowing his mindset and how he interacts with players, coaches, and parents, and having been an administrator as well, he has the strong mental makeup to be able to thrive at a job like this.)

Allen Whittenburg is already at WC. 

25 minutes ago, bigdawg_33 said:

I appreciate the kind words for coach Holman from you Chris. He is a awesome man and leader, no matter what the administration at WC thinks. Good luck filling that position. It's gonna get worse. We are moving asap!

bigdawg_33, 

I've spoken with the administrators at West and trust me when I say it, they do care about Holman, and thought very highly of his abilities, and furthermore, letting him go from the head coaching position was a hard decision.  Athletic Director Stephen McMasters has become very good friends with Holman and he told me that this decision was "gut-wrenching", but it was a decision that they all (he and principal Craig Styron) felt needed to happen.  Understanding the uphill challenges that Holman has had in regards to his health, and how it has taken his eye off of the ball of coaching, it was something they felt was in the best interest of the kids.

Holman is still employed by the school and will remain employed as long as he chooses, but I can guarantee you that he's been contacted by a lot of schools who have inquired about his services as a defensive coordinator.  I'm not sure if he'll get another head coaching opportunity this season or not, but he won't have any shortages of chances to return as a DC. 

I heard the Administrators wants a coach for the long haul now!! looks like they might have seen their down fall of the past years. How is middle school doing in this area in football!!could this be the time a coach come in here and changes the culture!! They have drop down to a  2A school  now that will help Northwest foothills conference for 2019. They also need to drop playing the top 3a teams for sure!!

On 1/26/2019 at 8:12 AM, EBborn1911 said:

I heard the Administrators wants a coach for the long haul now!! looks like they might have seen their down fall of the past years. How is middle school doing in this area in football!!could this be the time a coach come in here and changes the culture!! They have drop down to a  2A school  now that will help Northwest foothills conference for 2019. They also need to drop playing the top 3a teams for sure!!

The middle school feeding into WC is the same. This is a county school board problem 100%. The school board won't enforce their own rules on students going to the wrong schools when they live out of the district. I live right in middle of town in Lenoir. Right on the Hibriten/WC line. My street is WC, one behind me is HHS. Got plenty of kids in my neighborhood going to HHS that live in WC district. Hell, WLMS (middle school right beside Hibriten) has a bus dropping off at least 20 kids behind my house every day that walk to there homes in WC discrict. And those same ones will go to HHS cause the Caldwell County School Board is nothing but a JOKE when it comes to making these rules and having the boundaries and not enforcing it at all. 

Well I have read all the comments in here and some make good points, as someone who is a fan of  West Caldwell football for a long time I thought that team last year played the best with what they had. I did see some great young talent on the team. I saw a new running back that I was told was a freshman and he could really move. I also saw a couple of lineman that I was also told they were 9th and 10th graders so if a good coach comes I saw some things he has to work with. I just hope all the talent I did see comes back. I hope they make a good hire. To any of the players on that team read this hang in there football is hard but life is harder. Good luck West Caldwell see you next football season .

• Like 2

sounds like if the kids stay in their school district a good coach can make this program work for the kids. The middle school has got to buy in to the process. Adm has got to let someone hang in here for awhile sounds like!!

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, Wolf4Lyfe said:

I'd reach out to Coach Minor from Foard or go get a young coach from a program like Shelby or South Point that knows how to win. 

Rumor is out Coach minor is interesting in the  job at West Caldwell he could be the one to help turn that program around from some source said. I have heard he wants  to go to a school and stay and rebuild yet another school. If coach Holman stays and run the defense that would be a Win Win for the school. I head they are waiting for teaching position to open up before starting the hiring .They have got to keep the kids from jumping ship to other schools also dropping down to 2A is going to help!! 

They need to do something at West. Tell the player something cause I think you're right kids are going to start jumping ship. To a point I cant blame them. They have some young talent there, but they need to let them boys know whats going on.  I just want to see West save the talent they do have before that"s gone. 

2 hours ago, Warriorfan said:

They need to do something at West. Tell the player something cause I think you're right kids are going to start jumping ship. To a point I cant blame them. They have some young talent there, but they need to let them boys know whats going on.  I just want to see West save the talent they do have before that"s gone. 

I agree. Leaving these kids hanging. 

5 hours ago, Warriorfan said:

That's correct. They need to do something pretty quick. I think Minor would be a good fit.  The administration at WC needs to get it done so these young men will know whats going on. 

1 hour ago, bigdawg_33 said:

That's correct. They need to do something pretty quick. I think Minor would be a good fit.  The administration at WC needs to get it done so these young men will know whats going on. 

do they have a job open? like teaching wise didnt holman stay to teach  at wc?

3 hours ago, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

do they have a job open? like teaching wise didnt holman stay to teach  at wc?

Yes. He's still teaching at WC. From what I've heard, he's still looking for a HC job somewhere. Has been offered several DC spots as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigdawg_33 said:

Yes. He's still teaching at WC. From what I've heard, he's still looking for a HC job somewhere. Has been offered several DC spots as well. 

Well that’s my point ; U can’t hire a New coach without a teaching opening