Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

Running Clock

As a coach, I hate a running clock. I understand why they went to this. My thought is there should be another way to deal with those coaches who enjoy beating the heck out of other teams because they are on an ego trip. If this happens these coaches should be dealt with on an individual basis. However, if your 4th string team is scoring points then that should be an exception because it is not fair to handicap those 4th string kids. You could also have a running clock if both coaches agree. My problem is that we have 50 players on each team. With a running clock many of our subs never get to play. These kids work just as hard as the 1st team kids (well, most of them anyway) so they deserve a chance to play, plus it gives them game experience. Many of these kids will be starters by the time they are seniors. 

• Like 1

I am againt the running clock.  Not good for the game.  Hurts growth for players due to limiting playing time.  Unfortunately there will be coaches that do not get it and will run it up with the first team in late.

• Thanks 1

The current form of the "running clock" should be shelved. I don't disagree with the premise but the way it is often handled doesn't do the game justice. I would like to see some modifications. Perhaps stop the clock while officials talk, administer penalties, etc. and stop the clock as usual for OB and incomplete passes but restart it once the ball is marked ready for play. That would shorten the blow-out but also allow teams to get valuable snaps for reserves. The current version would allow, In theory, either team to decide that they aren't going to run another play and we could watch the officials chat and walk off yardage while the remainder of time runs off. Just my two cents... 

• Thanks 1

No running clock in college, NFL, nor life. If anything remove all starters after a set score. If the second and third string score so be it.

Mongo Guru

At what point in a 42 point  spread ball game can you not get subs into a game?  I've heard this lame excuse for years.

I will give you a good example. Last year we scored enough points in the beginning of the 3rd quarter to trigger the running clock. We have 50 JV players on our team. I had 8 Inside linebackers. I had gotten 6 of them in that game up to that point. My plane was to get allow my third team kids to play another series which would even out the [laying time for all my kids. I was going to play my 4th string kids the rest of the game. Our offense got the ball on a punt deep in our territory. They drove the ball all the way down the field and scored (4th team  offense). By this time it was half way into the 4th quarter. We kick off and they fumble the ball and we recover. Our defense never saw the field again. I am sure this not a rarity. It is not as lame as you think it is. It is also not an excuse. perhaps us coaches and parents see the importance of playing as many kids as possible. There are many games in which the score is so close that they will not get to play, so when the opportunity presents itself I want to see them play. You may not want this but I do. How else can us coaches judge them as players. They can practice all they want but seeing them in a game tells me more about them. We video all of our JV games and they get to see themselves on HUDL plus I put notes on each play to point out what they do wrong and what they do right. You may call it a lame excuse but I call it a reality. A better solution is to hold the offending coach accountable. If the score is extremely high make him show you that his 2nd. 3rd, etc. kids scored the 7th, 8th and 9th TDs. If this happens then I have no problem with the score. 

Why are you so in favor of a RUNNING CLOCK?

No running clock in college, NFL, nor life. If anything remove all starters after a set score. If the second and third string score so be it.

You are correct.  Anything besides a running clock. 

Here is my thought on this. Have the running clock start at the start of the 4th quarter if one team is up by 42. If a team has a big lead in the 3rd quarter thats when subs need to be work in. Then if a team is still up by 42 at the end of the 3rd quarter then a running clock starts in the start of the 4th quarter. This way the reserve get more playing time and the game want seem to go as quick. But personally I’m in favor of keeping the game without a running clock. This is just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

You can't legislate everything in sports or life ! There will always be things that happen that aren't just right and we just have to deal with them . I've had a coach that was up 30 and onside kick . My young assistant coaches went crazy . I told them to take care of what you control and that was that our kids play hard to the end of the game . I wasn't happy either but we have to deal with things we don't control . By the way I've been on both sides won by 70, with 3rd string backs scoring  and lost by 70 . If it's such a problem have a way to deal with the one's who intentually run the school up .

Have the running clock start in the fourth quarter. If the score is that lopsided at halftime a coach is doing a disservice to his reserves and younger players if he does not play them in the third quarter. 

It would also be better if the PA announcers under those circumstances did not pile on with comments such as:

"That's a touchdown by third string JV quarterback Billy Bob."

Tone it down and show some class.

football 101. I agree with you on dealing with the ones who intentionally run up the score. Why punish everyone for the sins of one person. This rule came into being because of one particular coach. Instead of dealing with him the NCHSAA saw the easy solution to solving this problem by the stupid running the clock rule we now have to deal with. I agree with you (wmhancock) on the PA Announcers. They need to be required to take a course on how to announce a game without all the stupid and unnecessary things they say. Many of these guys think that they are play by play announcers like the ones they see on TV or hear on the radio. Personally, I am not in favor of a running clock at all.  The responsible head coaches have many ways to prevent running up the score. The  school AD, Principal and LEA AD can take the responsibility of dealing with the irresponsible ones.That way the other 99% do not suffer.

I think most coaches know if there may be a running clock before the game even starts and should be prepared as such.  With that being said, if I am the coach of a team that is leading and the opponent still has his 1st team in, I would find it hard to put my younger and possibly less physically gifted guys out there to get beat on.  It's a two way street for the losing coach to also get some time for his subs when there isn't any hope of winning.  What are you guys thoughts on that scenario?  I have been on both ends of those.  

I agree gg4. However a lot of the time the team getting beat does not have hardly any second or third string guys. Which may be why they are losing by 42. You are correct. Both coaches should have a realistic feel for the outcome and prepare accordingly. 

Special teams is a good place to get the younger guys in as well. We were down big this year with a running clock. Finally scored and the opposition put their starting tailback deep to return the kickoff. He ran it back for a TD. Mainly because we had our younger guys in on special teams. If the kid that runs it back all the way is a sophomore in his first game then that's great. But for the starting tailback in the 4th quarter of a running clock game to do it is a problem.