Sign in to follow this  
Don Hines

FIKE AND HUNT BANNED FROM PLAYOFFS

While we did notify the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) about the incident, we felt strongly enough about the expectation of sportsmanship that we did not submit information about the incident to the NCHSAA for review. We made our own decision following protocol set forth by NCHSAA to end the regular season and self impose the ban on the playoffs. Both teams will also be fined up to $1,000.”

Not good for our game this week... I wonder if we should even play. Sometime kids take it out on other teams I get them to start something. This has been an odd year with so many teams being thrown out of the playoffs 

Interesting, both were 3A east right? Not sure how this changes who makes the playoffs and who goes A/AA, but sad to see so many teams out for fighting. 

36 minutes ago, Rams4life said:

Not good for our game this week... I wonder if we should even play. Sometime kids take it out on other teams I get them to start something. This has been an odd year with so many teams being thrown out of the playoffs 

game against Havelock will be a forfeit..will not play

Will be interesting to see how the stupid Max Preps computer rankings digests this data - Havelock's now a 10-0 team with the forfeit, while Southern Nash can only win 9 regular season games.  Last I checked Havelock was predicted a number 2 seed in the east and SN number 1. 

I also heard that Hillside had to forfeit their game Fri. night. Does anyone have any information on that?

Really sad to see the increasing number of melees between teams in football.  Just too many undisciplined punks playing the game these days.  Players played just as hard if not harder 20-30-40 years ago - so it doesn't mean today's kids are tougher - just more belligerent.  And NO it's not okay to stick up for your punk teammate who gets in a fight on the field. Your job as a sportsman is to avoid unsportsmanlike conduct. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reynoldsrocks23 said:

So no final word on Conley and South Central?

Not an NCHSAA decision for Hunt and Fike, but a county one. Conley and SC are from a different county, so no word yet. Don't even know if the incident was reported to the NCHSAA since it technically occurred after the game was over. It would be a much bigger story if both of these schools were banned from the playoffs as both are legit contenders in their classifications. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ramfan75 said:

Really sad to see the increasing number of melees between teams in football.  Just too many undisciplined punks playing the game these days.  Players played just as hard if not harder 20-30-40 years ago - so it doesn't mean today's kids are tougher - just more belligerent.  And NO it's not okay to stick up for your punk teammate who gets in a fight on the field. Your job as a sportsman is to avoid unsportsmanlike conduct. 

I agree but kids are different these days. This is not the norm at all you usually hear about an ineligible player playing more than fighting. Even that has gotten better. Well what’s done is done I don’t think those last two teams were in anyway, someone else will take that spot I am sure their are a few teams on the line. 

I believe the Independence/Rocky River situation was post game as well.  I dont know whether that decision came from the state or from Charlotte school system.  But if it came from the state I'd say the same thing applies here.

1 minute ago, Ramfan75 said:

Not an NCHSAA decision for Hunt and Fike, but a county one. Conley and SC are from a different county, so no word yet. Don't even know if the incident was reported to the NCHSAA since it technically occurred after the game was over. It would be a much bigger story if both of these schools were banned from the playoffs as both are legit contenders in their classifications. 

Actually it was they were both fined $1000 by the NCHSAA and banned 

3 minutes ago, Rams4life said:

Actually it was they were both fined $1000 by the NCHSAA and banned 

NO you are wrong - the decision was made by Wilson County Schools - not the NCHSAA

While we did notify the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) about the incident, we felt strongly enough about the expectation of sportsmanship that we did not submit information about the incident to the NCHSAA for review. We made our own decision following protocol set forth by NCHSAA to end the regular season and self impose the ban on the playoffs. Both teams will also be fined up to $1,000.

I don't think it looks too good for Conley or S.Central. Given how quickly the NCHSAA ended the seasons of 4 schools in Charlotte for post game melees - SC and Conley will probably get banned by the NCHSAA too, regardless of what Pitt County Schools does to them. Must be a bitter pill to swallow for South Central - they were undefeated. NIce to see that unsportsmanlike conduct has a price, maybe they will learn from it. 

I believe a lot of these type issues can be traced back to coaching to a degree. When coaches allow players mouthing in practice. When  pointing  out first downs  are allowed. If penalties we're severe enough much of these type actions woud be eliminated. There was a time when sportsmanship was nearly as important as winning. 

The receiver for the Saints who had planted the cell phone this past Sunday should have had the touchdown taken away and a 15 yard penality imposed. When the NFL allows this type of behavior, they incourage it in our youth. If you couldn't tell I'm a little old school, because I'm a little, no a lot old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the NCHSAA it's not necessarily about the best teams getting into the playoffs, it's about making 💰 money. If what Glenn said is true, and I have no reason to believe that it is not, the NCHSAA sold their control and decision making to Maxpreps to lighten their workload and again to make money.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I believe a lot of these type issues can be traced back to coaching to a degree. When coaches allow players mouthing in practice. When  pointing  out first downs  are allowed. If penalties we're severe enough much of these type actions woud be eliminated. There was a time when sportsmanship was nearly as important as winning. 

The receiver for the Saints who had planted the cell phone this past Sunday should have had the touchdown taken away and a 15 yard penality imposed. When the NFL allows this type of behavior, they incourage it in our youth. If you couldn't tell I'm a little old school, because I'm a little, no a lot old.

Why does the NFL allow it's players to Celebrate in the end zone after every touchdown? If the acts or behavior of the NFL influences the youth,(Which it does) then why are entertaining acts not allowed in high school football? I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious about what you think about that.

15 minutes ago, HPCBison08 said:

Why does the NFL allow it's players to Celebrate in the end zone after every touchdown? If the acts or behavior of the NFL influences the youth,(Which it does) then why are entertaining acts not allowed in high school football? I'm not trying to start an argument, just curious about what you think about that.

NFL gets paid HS don’t, you don’t see it in College either. Nothing more than a Chest bump in the air which is fine. No comparison 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramfan75 said:

NO you are wrong - the decision was made by Wilson County Schools - not the NCHSAA

While we did notify the North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) about the incident, we felt strongly enough about the expectation of sportsmanship that we did not submit information about the incident to the NCHSAA for review. We made our own decision following protocol set forth by NCHSAA to end the regular season and self impose the ban on the playoffs. Both teams will also be fined up to $1,000.

I stand corrected.  

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

For the NCHSAA it's not necessarily about the best teams getting into the playoffs, it's about making 💰 money. If what Glenn said is true, and I have no reason to believe that it is not, the NCHSAA sold their control and decision making to Maxpreps to lighten their workload and again to make money.

No, it’s not.  This post is wayboff especially considering you are a South Point fan.

Two major complaints of coaches were the varying degrees of strength of schedule across the state and the drawing of straws for placement.  We also were allowing a non conference game to be dropped from the official record for playoff seeding purposes due to teams not wanting to play stronger competition.  Once again, the schools came up with the idea to “drop a loss”.

Two schools that spoke out about this were South Point and Shelby which played very tough schedules but could easily be penalized for that schedule when the only seeding criteria was conference finish and record.

If the actual Max Preps poll was being used there would be much less complaints and questions.  Removal if Point differential not only is an issue for a specific team but it can skew their opponents ranking resulting in a ripple effect.

I dont mind them using a computerized ranking such as maxpreps to determine the wild card bids.  However, I think not taking margin of victory into consideration needs to be changed.  Someone mentioned earlier set the number at 21.  Any victory over 21 points will count the same.  (victory by 21 helps you as much as a victory by 61.)

On 11/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, HPCBison08 said:

Like the NCHSAA, the NFL is all about the dollar. The NFL has not, does not and will not ever care what I think or want.  Listen to the music played in the stadiums, for the youth,  watch the advertisements on TV during the games, for stuff I'll never buy. They are not even concerned about the youth, they just want their money. The NFL knows for the most part they don't make their money off my generation. I'll do a lot of things but I promise you'll never see the day I pay $50 - $150 for a jersey with another man's name on it. Nope aint happening.

If the NFL cared about the youth of this country, they would do lots of things differently. Like nearly everything else in this country, it's about the dollar. You have to have money to survive and turning a profit has to be the primary goal but come on. Ok, I'm through bitchin now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Like the NCHSAA, the NFL is all about the dollar. The NFL has not, does not and will not ever care what I think or want.  Listen to the music played in the stadiums, for the youth,  watch the advertisements on TV during the games, for stuff I'll never buy. They are not even concerned about the youth, they just want their money. The NFL knows for the most part they don't make their money off my generation. I'll do a lot of things but I promise you'll never see the day I pay $50 - $150 for a jersey with another man's name on it. Nope aint happening.

If the NFL cared about the youth of this country, they would do lots of things differently. Like nearly everything else in this country, it's about the dollar. You have to have money to survive and turning a profit has to be the primary goal but come on. Ok, I'm through bitchin now.

We need to give you a Q&A in real time and see how many questions you can answer about the NCHSAA.  I expect it would be very few if any.

26 minutes ago, btango said:

We need to give you a Q&A in real time and see how many questions you can answer about the NCHSAA.  I expect it would be very few if any.

You are right sir. I'm sure I'd show my ignorance quickly. There are tons and tons about em I don't know. But an organization that is willing to give up it's decision making ability will quickly lose the conference of the people they are suppose to serve. Look at the US House of Representatives. How much confidence and trust does the country have in them?