East Lincoln
Salisbury 
Forest Hills 

1A: Winston-Salem Prep
Pine Lake Prep
Lincoln Charter 
Holmes 
Starmount

Others to Keep a Eye on: Davidson Day; Albermarle ; Avery Co ; Pamlico ; West Columbus ; Kinston ; Mtn Heritage ; Licnoln; R-S Central ; Maiden ; Bandys ; West Stokes ; Sanford; Eastern Guilford ; Northern Nash ; Ben L Smith ; Kings Mtn ; Freedom ; South Iredell ; Hoggard; Hopewell and others 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2018 at 10:39 PM, BlueDevilsBiggestFan said:

Early Favs for M. Basketball: 
4a: West Char. 
Hough 
North Meck 
Independence 
Heritage 

3A: Cox Mill
Tabor 
Catholic 
Hickory 
New Hanover 

2A: Clinton 
Reidsville
East Lincoln
Salisbury 
Forest Hills 

1A: Winston-Salem Prep
Pine Lake Prep
Lincoln Charter 
Holmes 
Starmount

Others to Keep a Eye on: Davidson Day; Albermarle ; Avery Co ; Pamlico ; West Columbus ; Kinston ; Mtn Heritage ; Licnoln; R-S Central ; Maiden ; Bandys ; West Stokes ; Sanford; Eastern Guilford ; Northern Nash ; Ben L Smith ; Kings Mtn ; Freedom ; South Iredell ; Hoggard; Hopewell and others 

Now this is a man that's ready for basketball!  Nice, nice list.  

I do think 1A will be the usual suspects.  WS Prep now has Derricko Williams to go with sharpshooter Chaz Gwyn.  Williams is the Shawn Kemp of North Carolina high school basketball.  I'm also looking heavily for Lincoln Charter.  

Keep an eye out for Bishop McGuiness and North Stanly.  Bishop obtained some firepower over the off-season.  N Stanly has a very good, quick point guard named Bryson Childress.  

2A should be fun again.  I believe Forest Hills and Mt. Heritage will be treading deep waters come late February.  Keep an eye on Wheatmore and North Davidson also.  In the East,  I think Greene Central and Kinston could make deep runs.  Not sure about Reidsville though.  Watched them over the summer.  Breon Pass is a good, good ballplayer but I don't know if his supporting cast can help take him deep.  

3A should definitely be Wendell Moore's to lose.  However, the plot thickened when the Langley twins returned to SW Guilford.  SW is elite when those two are in green.  

I think Freedom will be a player.  Not sure about Hickory.....losing Torey James will hurt.  Replacing their underrated senior big man will be tough as well.  Despite the loss of Isiah Wilkins, Mount Tabor will still have a good, good team.  Quest is still there to run the point and they have a big, skilled front line.  

Both Eastern Guilford and Smith will be interesting this year.  Smith lost Camron Hayes to Greensboro Day.......but picked up Eastern Guilford's big man Nic McMullen.  If Smith can get some good point guard play, they'll be a factor.  McMullen and Silas Mason will be tough to deal with in the frontcourt.  

In addition to McMullen, EG lost both Jaylen Alston and Montez Venable to graduation.  They'll still be a good, quick team but I don't think they'll be elite. 

Watch out for these teams also......Parkland,  Northern Durham, Southern Durham* and Chapel Hill.  

Edit: On second thought, S Durham could be a favorite to win it all.  Ricky Council IV is now a Spartan.  That makes them elite. 

Definitely watch out for North Meck and Indy in 4A.  North Meck still has one of the most talented rosters in the public school ranks.  Defending champ Indy was very impressive this summer.  They played defense and attacked loose balls like a pack of wild dogs.  Would've added Rocky River to this list but Jaden Springer decided to take his talents to IMG Academy.  

Keep an eye out for NW Guilford as well.  They have a good blend of size and talent.  Big man Dean Rieber is very fun to watch.  

In the East, watch out for Leesville Road.  They have arguably the best backcourt in the public school ranks with Jalen Benjamin and Carter Whitt.  Also, look out for Millbrook.  They looked very good over the summer.  I'm not sure if Heritage makes it back.......they lost their big one-two punch to graduation.  

There's probably a lot that I'm forgetting.  I can't wait for basketball!

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero
  • Like 4

Freedom will be deep, and when the 3 is falling they will be tough. But as you know when you rely on the 3 it can get you into trouble. Freedom could have a starting line up with everyone being 6-3 to 6-4. As above I'm ready for basketball.

Anyone on here follow Girls Basketball? 

3 hours ago, webb said:

Freedom will be deep, and when the 3 is falling they will be tough. But as you know when you rely on the 3 it can get you into trouble. Freedom could have a starting line up with everyone being 6-3 to 6-4. As above I'm ready for basketball.

I think @npcfan seem to 

13 hours ago, webb said:

I follow the Mtn. Heritage Girls team. I don't think our teams will cross paths this year, but they lost 3 really good seniors and will have to reload this year. They will have a very good sophomore point guard in Hannah Tipton and return a couple of good post players and 2 other fast guards with a lot of playing time last year. I look for the team to be really athletic and push the tempo this year. They may not have the depth they had last year, but look for Coach Shelton to get some girls ready to go, at least midway through the season. She does a great job of developing the young talent.  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 8:16 PM, webb said:

Yes, I follow girls ball.

Here are some girls teams that I'm looking forward to watching (in my neck of the woods):

4A: NW Guilford, Ragsdale

3A: Dudley,  SE Guilford, SW Randolph, N Guilford ? E Guilford? Rock Co.?*

2A: Ledford, East Davidson, TW Andrews, Wheatmore, Providence Grove (hopefully)

1A: Ummm.......Bishop and River Mill??? Maybe??

*The ones with the question marks could end up being good but all three have huge holes to fill. 

Edited by Chute Boxe Hero

1a girls, Best of my memory Cherokee should be an early favorite in the west. I think they return a lot. Not sure what My. Airy has returning but would think they will be in the mix. Murphy maybe as well? Wow, I'm just throwing stones and guessing. Avery should be good as well. 

I really look for Avery, Mitchell and Heritage to be the front runners in the conference in no particular order. Heritage will have their work cut out to try and run the table in conference play this year for sure.

Murphy girls return 7 of their top 9 players from a regional finalist team but did graduate their best player. They will be a tough out, as will Cherokee who brought back everyone minus one starter. East Surry and Union Academy should have good teams as well. Mt Airy lost a lot but bring back a really good guard in Sawyers.

On 9/27/2018 at 1:13 PM, Heritage 84 said:

I really look for Avery, Mitchell and Heritage to be the front runners in the conference in no particular order. Heritage will have their work cut out to try and run the table in conference play this year for sure.

Hopefully they don't play basketball like they do football... You can't tackle in basketball Heritage 84 LOL... I believe they'd be ejected!😂

WHC Girls:

This has the chance to be the best womens conference in WNC. 

Madison will/should be good this season, as they return all but 1 player. Owen will have the best player in the conference in Gardner. Heritage will be good as long as Shelton is coaching there. Avery will be very good but not very deep. Starting 5 may be the best in conference. Polk will/should struggle. Mitchell, who knows, they will be very young and have no seniors. They lost most all of their scoring and rebounding but should be quicker and play at a faster pace than last season. No idea on order of finish.

WHC Men:

Heritage, then everyone else. Think that they have a chance to go very deep in the playoffs. They will be dangerous at every position on the floor. Shelton will be a force due to his size, Randolph is a deadly shooter. Jenkins and Auemiller are very skilled wings/guards. Mitchell will be very small but should be quick and be able to score better than last season. Avery should be down from the past several years.  Owen should be competitive while Madison and Polk could struggle. 

May be very wrong on all of this, who knows. 

Go Mountaineers 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:46 PM, wncbowhunter said:

WHC Girls:

This has the chance to be the best womens conference in WNC. 

Madison will/should be good this season, as they return all but 1 player. Owen will have the best player in the conference in Gardner. Heritage will be good as long as Shelton is coaching there. Avery will be very good but not very deep. Starting 5 may be the best in conference. Polk will/should struggle. Mitchell, who knows, they will be very young and have no seniors. They lost most all of their scoring and rebounding but should be quicker and play at a faster pace than last season. No idea on order of finish.

WHC Men:

Heritage, then everyone else. Think that they have a chance to go very deep in the playoffs. They will be dangerous at every position on the floor. Shelton will be a force due to his size, Randolph is a deadly shooter. Jenkins and Auemiller are very skilled wings/guards. Mitchell will be very small but should be quick and be able to score better than last season. Avery should be down from the past several years.  Owen should be competitive while Madison and Polk could struggle. 

May be very wrong on all of this, who knows. 

Go Mountaineers 

All looks pretty good bowhunter. I heard Mitchell got a couple of good young lady transfers from Avery. Have you heard anything about it. It would definitely help Mitchell probably really hurt Avery's depth for sure. Possibly could have 3 former Avery players starting at Mitchell this year if this is the case. The one transfer last year was a good player.

Heritage boys stand a very good chance to be a very big team for around our area this year. 6'9", 3-6'4", 3-6'1" and the rest close to 6 ft. At least 4 players coming up from the JV team with only 1 loss last year will give good team depth and a lot of basketball IQ as these guys have played together for years.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 2:15 PM, Retired Warhorse said:

Hopefully they don't play basketball like they do football... You can't tackle in basketball Heritage 84 LOL... I believe they'd be ejected!😂

This year not so much LOL, probably more under control. Last year who knows a very physical bunch of football/basketball players that graduated last year. Most of them were only 6' or 6'1" but was very common for them to be banging inside with the opponents big men. Hard nosed defense and athleticism is what they brought to the game. This years team should be more fundamentally sound.

Well I guess it is officially the start of basketball season in North Carolina. Is there any men's teams out there that are on the Teams to Watch List" in 2A that are not gonna be affected by good football programs not slowing down the full tilt start up of the season?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 11:34 AM, Heritage 84 said:

Well I guess it is officially the start of basketball season in North Carolina. Is there any men's teams out there that are on the Teams to Watch List" in 2A that are not gonna be affected by good football programs not slowing down the full tilt start up of the season?

Should be a few like Lincolnton , EL, Maybe Newton Conover n others 

Definitely if teams like East Lincolnton are not in the playoffs or exit early, will give them a big advantage on getting ahead of the pack in basketball. Forest hills will get a lot of early work to help them when the season hits full stride. Both of those teams will definitely be expected to make deep playoff runs in 2A and could be potential match-ups for Mtn. Heritage if they return to the playoffs again this year.  

Saturday, November 10th Freedom High School will host Super Saturday. This is a girls scrimmage consisting of 24 teams playing two 16 minute halves. Each team is scheduled to play 3 games. This is an event that has been going on for several years and normally brings some good basketball. It starts at 8:30 and goes to around 5:30. More information can be found here. https://sites.google.com/a/burke.k12.nc.us/freedom-women-s-basketball/home/super-saturday 

• Like 3

McDowell will feature a lot of new faces on the boys team. They were pretty solid last season but may struggle some this year. I expect them to win a lot of games still, especially if the young guys can mature quickly

• Like 1

15 hours ago, titanman27 said:

McDowell will feature a lot of new faces on the boys team. They were pretty solid last season but may struggle some this year. I expect them to win a lot of games still, especially if the young guys can mature quickly

Would be nice if Mtn. Heritage and McDowell could hook up to play in the future, with them being so close to each other. Might be a good matchup.

5 hours ago, Heritage 84 said:

Would be nice if Mtn. Heritage and McDowell could hook up to play in the future, with them being so close to each other. Might be a good matchup.

Yea it would be a better series than playing Mitchell. I cant recall the last time Mitchell beat them. 

7 hours ago, Heritage 84 said:

Heritage should be plenty of competition to go up against I would think. Could be wrong.

McDowell played Avery a few times in the christmas tourney at Freedom when Avery was very good. Competitive games for sure. Avery has dropped it seems after their coach left a few years ago