Sign in to follow this  
Knights

Robbinsville youth wrestler

that was 2 years years ago when he was 11, he is a wrestler now . To really know what this video shows you would have to know that some of these kids are 3 years older than he is 

• Like 1

Individual sports such as wrestling, track (not relays), golf, and tennis should be no classification.  Let the best go against the best.

Maybe in individual tournaments but not in duals. Robbinsville struggles to fill all weight classes. You think we should wrestle schools 2 and 3 deep at each weight? Come on man.

33 minutes ago, Knights said:

Maybe in individual tournaments but not in duals. Robbinsville struggles to fill all weight classes. You think we should wrestle schools 2 and 3 deep at each weight? Come on man.

Not at all.  I wrote individual but did not specify wrestling as I did relays in track.  Individual open.  Duals in wrestling, relays in track, doubles in tennis would be by classification.  To confirm and something I would oppose to a great extent is if these individual sports are subdivided.  You say, no way.  Do not be surprised what is going to be asked for in May.

They dont need to sub wrestling. 

Although Robbinsville is at a big disadvantage to a school with 600 at wrestling. We could have a few more titles if we could've filled all the weight classes. 

After thinking about it i dont think individually Tournament should be open. No way a small school could finish close to a big school. Big schools would qualify alot of weights if not all. Small schools would forfeit 4 or 5 weight classes.

17 hours ago, Knights said:

After thinking about it i dont think individually Tournament should be open. No way a small school could finish close to a big school. Big schools would qualify alot of weights if not all. Small schools would forfeit 4 or 5 weight classes.

No one wants to see the best two wrestlers in the state face off for a state title?  Would rather watch two wrestlers in different classifications roll through everyone?  I remember Mike Kendall wanting to go to tournaments, jumping classes, so he could go against the absolute best in the state.  Coming to the coach and asking if they could go three hours away because a certain school was going to be there and he wanted to compete with their elite wrestler a weight class up.  

The team duals allows for a state championship by classification.  They could look at having a team state champion based on the individuals but may not work well.  

4 hours ago, Knights said:

They do have a team state title based on individual t players am score.

Yes, I know this.  My post was referencing with an open classification individual state finals the team championship may not really work well.  

It really does not matter, if anything they will add more classifications.  The schools are going to request at the spring Board of Directors meeting that all sports be subdivided.  You read that correctly. 

We would dominate at Wrestling if this happened. I'm not for dividing but it would put us in the driver's seat like Murphy in football.

I think if they do subdivide, individual sports would not.  Wrestling, tennis, golf, track, et al.  

I love seeing young people succeed but I think we overdo it sometimes, also.  I like competition, to see the best play the best.  

11 hours ago, btango said:

No one wants to see the best two wrestlers in the state face off for a state title?  Would rather watch two wrestlers in different classifications roll through everyone?  I remember Mike Kendall wanting to go to tournaments, jumping classes, so he could go against the absolute best in the state.  Coming to the coach and asking if they could go three hours away because a certain school was going to be there and he wanted to compete with their elite wrestler a weight class up.  

The team duals allows for a state championship by classification.  They could look at having a team state champion based on the individuals but may not work well.  

One of the best matches I ever saw was Mike Kendell wrestled Johnny Greene from Mitchell. Don't remember which one it was but one bumped up so they could wrestle each other.

That is why I enjoy tourneys like The Holy Angels.  The best man wins.  No way you could pull off Duels without classifications but it would be fun to watch no classification individuals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On January 5, 2019 at 9:59 AM, btango said:

Yes, I know this.  My post was referencing with an open classification individual state finals the team championship may not really work well.  

It really does not matter, if anything they will add more classifications.  The schools are going to request at the spring Board of Directors meeting that all sports be subdivided.  You read that correctly. 

State tournaments are going to turn into the Oprah Winfrey show.  You get a title, and you get a title, and you get a title....

On 1/5/2019 at 2:30 AM, btango said:

Subdividing all sports may happen. It would not be a surprise. In wrestling I would like to see 1A/2A combined and 3A/4A combined. I have no doubt a 1A kid could win state titles. They win against 4A opponents every week. It hasn't been that long ago that 1A and 2A shared a bracket at the state individuals. Nobody had a problem with it.

Up in the northeast they crown one or two state champs. Southern states divide them out by classification. This is one of many reasons rarely do kids in the south get scholarship offers. The other reason is few colleges in the south have wrestling programs.

Sign in to follow this