Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Greensboro Page AD Rusty Lee to step down

Rate this topic

It was reported yesterday by Joe Sirera and Spencer Turkin  of the Greensboro News & Record that longtime Page Athletics Director Rusty Lee will step down after 27 years,  effective October 1st.  

No reason was given but I want to first and foremost congratulate him on the job he's done making Page one of the best athletic programs in the state, and also wish him well in his next chapter.  He's been a first class gentleman and the Page fanbase and the entire community should applaud him for his service. 

Link: News & Record - Rusty Lee to step down as Page athletics director.

1 hour ago, Creekprogram said:

Wouldnt go that far.. He's been at Page for 27 years and isnt young anymore. We think this has been in the works for a long while. The timing isnt ideal, but we push forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Barile said:

Wouldnt go that far.. He's been at Page for 27 years and isnt young anymore. We think this has been in the works for a long while. The timing isnt ideal, but we push forward.

I'm sure its just coincidental. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JJ Barile said:

Years of service does not preclude you from having a lapse in judgement.  Page has had some teams get into later rounds of the playoffs lately and get embarrassed.  Lose a long time Coach unexpectedly and bring in a hand picked guy to get over the "Hump" again.  Just my  opinion but 1 kid ineligible could naturally be a mistake but multiple kids ineligible looks like a plan.  The AD is ultimately held accountable in this situation to validate paperwork.  The  Head Coach should monitor as well if he is smart...

43 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

Years of service does not preclude you from having a lapse in judgement.  Page has had some teams get into later rounds of the playoffs lately and get embarrassed.  Lose a long time Coach unexpectedly and bring in a hand picked guy to get over the "Hump" again.  Just my  opinion but 1 kid ineligible could naturally be a mistake but multiple kids ineligible looks like a plan.  The AD is ultimately held accountable in this situation to validate paperwork.  The  Head Coach should monitor as well if he is smart...

A “plan” for what?  It is my understanding the young men dressed but didn’t play.  Not sure that is a factor in the rule but if you are insinuating  some type of “plan” to gain an edge don’t you think it may be a starter or high contributor?  Maybe I’m misreading what you are implying?  

• Like 1

Page has well over 800 athletes. Each athlete has 8 standard forms, plus additional tracking for pay-to-play. Rusty’s office flooded and was found to have mold last year. He was living out of boxes for 7 months while repairs were made. If he missed 2 details on the 7,200+ forms without an office or an assistant, he did his best.

Mistakes happen, it wasn't done to create an advantage on the field..... 

Rusty has always had alot on his plate at Page because of how big of an athletics school it is, the head football coach should be hyper probing his players situation and all the paperwork that comes with his players, to make sure every i is dotted and t is crossed to make sure something like this doesn't happen. The AD should too, but because they have so many more kids to keep track of, the coach has the ability to keep track of their players more, and should.

• Like 1

@Creekprogram Sounds like you're trying to say Page intentionally let 2 ineligble benchwarmers dress out to create an advantage to get over the hump.. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Page didn't bring in a handpicked guy as coach either.. Gillespie left in late June of last summer and Rusty had to scramble around for a new coach.. it was not an ideal situation for Page. This ineligible player situation is not what you are eluding to, it was an unfortunate mistake.

1 hour ago, JJ Barile said:

@Creekprogram Sounds like you're trying to say Page intentionally let 2 ineligble benchwarmers dress out to create an advantage to get over the hump.. Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Page didn't bring in a handpicked guy as coach either.. Gillespie left in late June of last summer and Rusty had to scramble around for a new coach.. it was not an ideal situation for Page. This ineligible player situation is not what you are eluding to, it was an unfortunate mistake.

Benchwarmers, office flooded, lots of forms, etc........I’m sure those kids and there parents don’t think they are non essential personnel.  Flooded office means you have to have even more due diligence. Lots of forms well all school districts have lots of forms. If he is not complicit he is the person accountable for the mistake and if he had subordinates who did not do their job and he took the fall I hope they respect him enough for that action and rectify the situation. My problem is that the kids get punished because of grown up mistakes. 

18 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

Benchwarmers, office flooded, lots of forms, etc........I’m sure those kids and there parents don’t think they are non essential personnel.  Flooded office means you have to have even more due diligence. Lots of forms well all school districts have lots of forms. If he is not complicit he is the person accountable for the mistake and if he had subordinates who did not do their job and he took the fall I hope they respect him enough for that action and rectify the situation. My problem is that the kids get punished because of grown up mistakes. 

You tried to make it seem like Page was cheating to get better players on the field of play..... I'm just letting you know what the situation was/is, I'm not trying to justify the situation at all.. Like i said its an unfortunate mistake for everyone involved. 

43 minutes ago, JJ Barile said:

You tried to make it seem like Page was cheating to get better players on the field of play..... I'm just letting you know what the situation was/is, I'm not trying to justify the situation at all.. Like i said its an unfortunate mistake for everyone involved. 

You are exactly correct.

4 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

Just my  opinion but 1 kid ineligible could naturally be a mistake but multiple kids ineligible looks like a plan.  

This Creekprogram.  No one is arguing about accountability or justifying anything.  Just responding to your accusation.  

32 minutes ago, btango said:

Noticed Max Preps has them at 2-4.  Do the schools still input the scores and info on that site?

Page went ahead and counted the games as forfeits on Maxpreps, but the NCHSAA still has not ruled.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 3:30 PM, JJ Barile said:

Hi guys Im new to this site. But in my personal opinion, the AD ha knowledge of these said players and the HC did as well. Football is the number one sport in this area there is no way you let someone slip through the cracks, maybe in a smaller fall sports such as tennis or girls volleyball but football no. Unless the kid(s) blatantly lied on one of the forms, someone knew. PERIOD

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Easy_money1 said:

someone knew. PERIOD

Interesting way to come out with your first post.  You know what they say about opinions.  Be great to hear how your came to that conclusion.

2 hours ago, Easy_money1 said:

Hi guys Im new to this site. But in my personal opinion, the AD ha knowledge of these said players and the HC did as well. Football is the number one sport in this area there is no way you let someone slip through the cracks, maybe in a smaller fall sports such as tennis or girls volleyball but football no. Unless the kid(s) blatantly lied on one of the forms, someone knew. PERIOD

I do not believe that.  They are not going to risk  a season on two players not to mention their careers and reputation.  If they players are found the last week of the season they have zero wins and no playoffs.  I will say that I think if a school discovers ineligible players deep into the year that some may turn a blind eye then because the season is already lost.  To do it from the beginning?  No!

I know of a team that forfeited a season twenty years ago due to one player's academic  and I can assure you it had zero to do with it being covered up.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PureBull said:

Interesting way to come out with your first post.  You know what they say about opinions.  Be great to hear how your came to that conclusion.

Well you have an opinion as well so lets say the same with yours. Been around long enough to know when there is smoke, there is fire. Could have been a honest mistake, could have been done deliberately either way we won't know unless some more facts come out. I just have a hard time believing no one knew in one of the major programs in the state. No checks and balances at Page? Just one guy managing all the paperwork? Then they self report, then he steps down. Feeling like they are jumping out in front of this  to salvage a season and a reputation. 

Ok...Easy Money....let’s play out your thoughts.  They knew all along....decided to wait (even though they knew all along) until after they beat teams like Dudley to SELF REPORT?  All done for 2 players (as I understand it) that did not play?  Gotcha.......

2 hours ago, Easy_money1 said:

Well you have an opinion as well so lets say the same with yours. Been around long enough to know when there is smoke, there is fire. Could have been a honest mistake, could have been done deliberately either way we won't know unless some more facts come out. I just have a hard time believing no one knew in one of the major programs in the state. No checks and balances at Page? Just one guy managing all the paperwork? Then they self report, then he steps down. Feeling like they are jumping out in front of this  to salvage a season and a reputation. 

The case I mention from twenty years ago was a confusing scenario that would have been allowed at any other school system in NC.  The AD resigned.  He had been voted national AD of the year by an organization a few years prior.

I think one issue that often causes some problems is football has played two or three games by the time school starts.  Not sure if that can cause some confusion or delays but normally in winter and spring sports things are known when it comes to academic issues.

1 hour ago, PureBull said:

Ok...Easy Money....let’s play out your thoughts.  They knew all along....decided to wait (even though they knew all along) until after they beat teams like Dudley to SELF REPORT?  All done for 2 players (as I understand it) that did not play?  Gotcha.......

Have no clue what transpired here but lets not let the " SELF REPORT" sway the thought process. Many times, in fact the majority of these self reports are opportunities given to administrations to look better. Rather than "got you", it looks better for everyone if it comes out internally. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, PureBull said:

Self report or not the accusation was they knowingly cheated.....which is absurd.

Yeah, I dont buy intentional. However,when it did surface what happened next? Sin of omission or immediate falling on the sword. Hard to know.

Word came out this week that Greensboro Smith is having to forfeit almost entire soccer season due to ineligible player(s).  So its not just Page or Rusty. 

I think Rusty's biggest letdown was not being able to talk then Eastern Guilford coach now Thomasville coach Doug Robertson into taking the job when Gillespie left for Asheboro.

12 hours ago, redclayramblers said:

Word came out this week that Greensboro Smith is having to forfeit almost entire soccer season due to ineligible player(s).  So its not just Page or Rusty. 

I think Rusty's biggest letdown was not being able to talk then Eastern Guilford coach now Thomasville coach Doug Robertson into taking the job when Gillespie left for Asheboro.

I heard Robertson wanted the Eastern baseball coach to come with him, and Rusty wasn't going to fire Page's baseball coach like that..

On 1/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, Chris Hughes said:

I hopefully will have some big news about Page in the coming weeks, stay tuned.

🤔

On 1/16/2019 at 11:08 PM, Chris Hughes said:

I hopefully will have some big news about Page in the coming weeks, stay tuned. 

Things that make you go Ummmmm!!!  How many weeks is in the coming weeks?

On 2/6/2019 at 10:54 AM, GSOFootballFan said:

Things that make you go Ummmmm!!!  How many weeks is in the coming weeks?

I know you just can't contain your excitement for news about W.H. Page Senior High.. but we require your patience

How absurd is it to assume someone knowingly tried to create an advantage for themselves?At this point, about the entire state seems to be walking the line on what is within the rules on transfer players/recruiting/whatever they wanna call it. I used to get mad at the people who transferred but it's all about what puts your kid in the best position to move on to the next level. Now I find entertainment in the whole thing, adults who either deny (usually good programs) or cry (usually poor programs) about something that is definitely happening but probably won't stop ever until we get an IMG Academy-like setup running in the Metrolina area.

2 hours ago, EMEagle said:

How absurd is it to assume someone knowingly tried to create an advantage for themselves?At this point, about the entire state seems to be walking the line on what is within the rules on transfer players/recruiting/whatever they wanna call it. I used to get mad at the people who transferred but it's all about what puts your kid in the best position to move on to the next level. Now I find entertainment in the whole thing, adults who either deny (usually good programs) or cry (usually poor programs) about something that is definitely happening but probably won't stop ever until we get an IMG Academy-like setup running in the Metrolina area.

I don't know where this came from, but going back to the announcement that could come soon about Page has absolutely nothing to do with transfers or creating an advantage for the purpose of recruiting.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EMEagle said:

Venting! You might need to start a different thread. What's realling going on?

On 2/20/2019 at 5:09 PM, EMEagle said:

Huh? LOL. 

• Like 1