Jump to content

Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Maybe Coach Fedora could go over and give Ol Roy some recruiting pointers. Wouldn't it be something (haha) to see the basketball program in the same situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Maybe Coach Fedora could go over and give Ol Roy some recruiting pointers. Wouldn't it be something (haha) to see the basketball program in the same situation.

Ain't gonna happen.. You got that scenario bass ackerds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tarheels are definitely going in the wrong direction (I think it's recruiting).  I kinda gave up on Fedora when he made the CTE remarks, that's an argument he can't win. Should have just kept his mouth shut. At least we don't have Urban "I didn't know" Myer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, EGFAN75 said:

Tarheels are definitely going in the wrong direction (I think it's recruiting).  I kinda gave up on Fedora when he made the CTE remarks, that's an argument he can't win. Should have just kept his mouth shut. At least we don't have Urban "I didn't know" Myer. 

Like him or not and I do not like the position of Ohio State.....Urban is controlling the narrative at his school along with his staff, Alumni & fan base.  Fedora has lost every one of the previous things mentioned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think that Fedora might have been over his head when he took over at UNC.  Currently I feel that not only has he lost the Alumni and Fan Base but has also lost support of the Boosters and the Board at the school. Worst of all I think he lost the locker room. Long gone are the days of the 'prestige' of the school to draw recruits in.  For UNC that coach needs to go out and find the players start on those kids as sophomores.  I think that the AD is just giving Fedora enough rope to cut him loose at the end of the season.  It will take at least 3 years from that point with the right coaching staff to bring UNC back into competitiveness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think y'all are just being to hard on Coach Fedora. You just need to give him some time. You know something like 5 or 6 more years.  By then he should have things figured out.😁

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most all of these Head Coaches' egos are to big ! Recruiting takes a back seat to these guys . When Skip Holtz Became the Head Coach at ECU he came by the school that I worked and spent a hour with  me just talking about football and everything else .It wasn't because I had a big recruit because I didn't . He said he was going to into every high school in NC personally . That meant a lot to me ! Fedora and every other coach In NC should do that .

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, football101 said:

Most all of these Head Coaches' egos are to big ! Recruiting takes a back seat to these guys . When Skip Holtz Became the Head Coach at ECU he came by the school that I worked and spent a hour with  me just talking about football and everything else .It wasn't because I had a big recruit because I didn't . He said he was going to into every high school in NC personally . That meant a lot to me ! Fedora and every other coach In NC should do that .

That is how Mack Brown built UNC from the ashes.  But he started with two absolutely terrible seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I think y'all are just being to hard on Coach Fedora. You just need to give him some time. You know something like 5 or 6 more years.  By then he should have things figured out.😁

You must be a State fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no, I pull for that wonderfully successful program over in Winston-Salem. It sucks most of the time to be a Deacon fan. Kind of like being a Tar Heel fan I guess.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I think they should do or now. Never mind the money they have garenteed, a school like Chapel Hill has plenty of money to pass away. I think they are hoping against hope he can turn things around. Its a bad situation. I'm glad I wasn't part of the brain trust that made the hire. A lot of people are going to look foolish if he gets canned now. Of course those same people are going to look foolish if he doesn't. Danged if you do danged if you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I agree, I think they should do or now. Never mind the money they have garenteed, a school like Chapel Hill has plenty of money to pass away. I think they are hoping against hope he can turn things around. Its a bad situation. I'm glad I wasn't part of the brain trust that made the hire. A lot of people are going to look foolish if he gets canned now. Of course those same people are going to look foolish if he doesn't. Danged if you do danged if you don't.

Larry Fedora has my eternal respect and gratitude for leading the program through the NCAA mess, plus had two 1st place division finishes in his 1st 5 years. But now, in year 7, with the NCAA in the rear view and the program entirely of his making, this is the product.

Kudos to the entire UNC football team for donating their weekly per diem to buy goods for former New Bern star and Carolina Panther, Kevin Reddick's efforts to provide supplies for New Bern. Looking forward to helping deliver supplies for people in need that have been effected by this devastating storm this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said earlier, I think the should give him 5 or 6 more years. He just needs time to right the ship. 

Not sure what you ment by leading the team through the NCAA mess. He just coached them. It was the administration and the lawyers that got em off with hardly a scratch. Don't think the football had much to do with that part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

Larry Fedora has my eternal respect and gratitude for leading the program through the NCAA mess, plus had two 1st place division finishes in his 1st 5 years. But now, in year 7, with the NCAA in the rear view and the program entirely of his making, this is the product.

Kudos to the entire UNC football team for donating their weekly per diem to buy goods for former New Bern star and Carolina Panther, Kevin Reddick's efforts to provide supplies for New Bern. Looking forward to helping deliver supplies for people in need that have been effected by this devastating storm this weekend. 

Also- has 1 bowl win. I am sure Fedora is a great guy and the hurricane relief is a very nice story and deserves mention. In the end though this is big time college football and he doesnt get 2.7 million for his community involvement. He gets paid to win football games. None of this is a surprise............its been coming now for 2+ years. Success on the field moves recruiting and they are in a terrible cycle now. Only one way out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

Also- has 1 bowl win. I am sure Fedora is a great guy and the hurricane relief is a very nice story and deserves mention. In the end though this is big time college football and he doesnt get 2.7 million for his community involvement. He gets paid to win football games. None of this is a surprise............its been coming now for 2+ years. Success on the field moves recruiting and they are in a terrible cycle now. Only one way out.

I didn't mention him in my second paragraph, mentioned the football TEAM. I'm aware he gets paid to win football games, go back to my first paragraph where I mention this is entirely of his making. 

 

Doubt Bubba makes a change in season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

I didn't mention him in my second paragraph, mentioned the football TEAM. I'm aware he gets paid to win football games, go back to my first paragraph where I mention this is entirely of his making. 

 

Doubt Bubba makes a change in season. 

I know you didnt and I am also aware of your loyalty to the program. Cunningham probably waits. Not sure any real corrections can be made during the season at this point. The next hire is the most important decision and I am sure the search is already being done albeit very quietly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

I know you didnt and I am also aware of your loyalty to the program. Cunningham probably waits. Not sure any real corrections can be made during the season at this point. The next hire is the most important decision and I am sure the search is already being done albeit very quietly.  

Loyalty yes, but I can also be a realist. It's time to move on, that's evident. He did a good job getting the program through the NCAA stuff, but there is no excuse for what we've witnesses the past 14 games. 

Talent is down, no doubt, but my bigger qualm is with the penalties. He was down at the bottom while with Southern Miss and is last in the ACC since he's been at UNC. That late hit on ECU when it was 3rd and 23, just completely unacceptable. 

Hopefully Seth Littrell can come back and right this thing, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he hits the ignore button. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This dang thread is going to last longer than Fedora it is starting to look like! Maybe if he gets canned he can move down to high school football. Down here he won't be expected to recrute, well not at most schools anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Often times it's not always the coach alone. Some programs go through a few coaches and still struggle.  Is it a system/program support issue?  Maybe certain good coaches who leave see the trouble coming early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Like I said earlier, I think the should give him 5 or 6 more years. He just needs time to right the ship. 

Not sure what you ment by leading the team through the NCAA mess. He just coached them. It was the administration and the lawyers that got em off with hardly a scratch. Don't think the football had much to do with that part.

The football program had other issues in addition to the academic classes.  The football team had the bowl ban and loss of scholarships for three years due to the agent favors with players and coaches.  I actually thought he did a very good job during that period.  Then with the academic situation he had to recruit through that.  People point to basketball but that is a sport where an elite player is going to play for a few years and then on to the next level.  Football recruiting is a three years minimum decision if the player does not transfer.  Five years for many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Like I said earlier, I think the should give him 5 or 6 more years. He just needs time to right the ship. 

Not sure what you ment by leading the team through the NCAA mess. He just coached them. It was the administration and the lawyers that got em off with hardly a scratch. Don't think the football had much to do with that part.

Do your research. Bowl ban, loss of scholarships for THREE years, negative recruiting with the academic situation, etc. Those things are kind of a big deal, no?

In regards to your misinformed comment about the lawyers; again, do your research. NCAA has bylaws, take it up with them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×