Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

On 9/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, Wolf4Lyfe said:

Well they came up with a win over that juggernaut Pitt. I guess y'all can get off coach's back. He's got em turned around now. If he can manage two or three more wins you guys just might snuggle right back up to him.

4 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Well they came up with a win over that juggernaut Pitt. I guess y'all can get off coach's back. He's got em turned around now. If he can manage two or three more wins you guys just might snuggle right back up to him.

He was a suspect hire in the beginning . They are the bottom of the ACC  in recruiting and don't see that changing anytime soon. Had some pic's of the recruits attending this weeks game, they look like soccer players. The win against Pitt is nothing more than fools goal. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, Wolf4Lyfe said:

Maybe y'all could go see if Cudcliff would be willing to come over and help ya out. Who would have ever thought Duke would be ranked in the top 25 before the Heels?  Now when my Deacons get there, then it will be time to run your coach off.

16 hours ago, work7 said:

He was a suspect hire in the beginning . They are the bottom of the ACC  in recruiting and don't see that changing anytime soon. Had some pic's of the recruits attending this weeks game, they look like soccer players. The win against Pitt is nothing more than fools goal. 

#1 in the ACC in terms of play. Go Heels!

20 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Yea, that win against Pitt doesn't even begin to sniff those wins Wake has over powerhouses, Tulane and Towson. Let's see if Wake can turn it around this week against vaunted Rice. 

I will go ahead an answer that question here and now. No they probably won't beat Rice. The difference between myself and a Tar Baby fan is I don't have unrealistic expectations for teams I pull for. Wake usually sucks, I expect them to suck, so when they don't suck I'm happily surprised.

You haven't nor will you ever see me on here or any other platform, suggesting Wake or any other other school fire their coach. To me sports are just a diversion from everyday life. Win or lose I won't lose sleep over games. There are people at each institution who are responsible and paid to make hiring and firing decisions. If they get paid to be there, I can't believe they don't want what's best for the school. If the powers that be think he needs to go, he will be gone. I don't have a dog in the fight, I just like to get Tar Babies stirred up.

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I will go ahead an answer that question here and now. No they probably won't beat Rice. The difference between myself and a Tar Baby fan is I don't have unrealistic expectations for teams I pull for. Wake usually sucks, I expect them to suck, so when they don't suck I'm happily surprised.

You haven't nor will you ever see me on here or any other platform, suggesting Wake or any other other school fire their coach. To me sports are just a diversion from everyday life. Win or lose I won't lose sleep over games. There are people at each institution who are responsible and paid to make hiring and firing decisions. If they get paid to be there, I can't believe they don't want what's best for the school. If the powers that be think he needs to go, he will be gone. I don't have a dog in the fight, I just like to get Tar Babies stirred up.

I don't think you're going to get many UNC fans stirred up about football. 

I guess most are like a friend of mine. Pull for the Heels in Basketball, the Irish in football and South Carolina in baseball.  Those folks are usually just trying to stick with winning programs. They kinda make my stomach turn. But to each his own I guess. I just pull for the Deacons, it makes it easier for me, I don't have to buy but one hat.

3 minutes ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Fedora was at Burns High School tonight. He was there to watch some of the Huss players. He is gonna need all the help he can get.

You sure he wasnt applying for the job?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, TheA-Train2012 said:

Fedora was at Burns High School tonight. He was there to watch some of the Huss players. He is gonna need all the help he can get.

He was at North Stanly last week.

• Like 1

It's probably about time UNC moved past the Fedora era.  He just isn't getting it done.  There have been few UNC teams that have excelled in football without the cloud of scandal in the past 20 years.  I know the sport doesn't seem to be a priority at this basketball power house, but still finding a coach who can at least give them a winning record without scandal should not be all that difficult. What is tough to watch is seeing the product on the field today - they don't look like a team that could compete with JUCO schools, let alone with BCS teams. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 4:56 PM, Ramfan75 said:

It's probably about time UNC moved past the Fedora era.  He just isn't getting it done.  There have been few UNC teams that have excelled in football without the cloud of scandal in the past 20 years.  I know the sport doesn't seem to be a priority at this basketball power house, but still finding a coach who can at least give them a winning record without scandal should not be all that difficult. What is tough to watch is seeing the product on the field today - they don't look like a team that could compete with JUCO schools, let alone with BCS teams. 

He has fallen so far behind NC State in terms of recruiting and the perception or perceived place to be for big time kids.  You could argue as well that Duke & App State have passed UNC as well.  I watched Duke and App State both play this past week and the level of Coaching and preparation compared to UNC was startling.  Duke actually is above average athletically at all positions with depth......App State depth wise is right with UNC but the first line might be better.  The Coaching is not even close......Fedora has a huge buyout so it is going to be hard unless some deep pocket Boosters can help in the process,

58 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Y'all just ain't gonna let this thread die, are ya?

Fedora's performance or lack there of week to week keeps it alive.....The UNC program right now are the Cleveland Browns of College Football.  They find bizarre ways to lose weekly... 🙂

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

Fedora's performance or lack there of week to week keeps it alive.....The UNC program right now are the Cleveland Browns of College Football.  They find bizarre ways to lose weekly... 🙂

He’s got a point. It’s something week-to-week that gives this thread new life. 

On 9/24/2018 at 2:27 PM, SPRaiders78 said:

I guess most are like a friend of mine. Pull for the Heels in Basketball, the Irish in football and South Carolina in baseball.  Those folks are usually just trying to stick with winning programs. They kinda make my stomach turn. But to each his own I guess. I just pull for the Deacons, it makes it easier for me, I don't have to buy but one hat.

Before this year and the year they lost big to Alabama, when was the last time the Irish were a 'dominant'(and I use this word loosely) winning program?  Or are they Irish fans only during the winning seasons?

Yeah the kids are playing hard but the Coach continues to make huge situational football mistakes.  These type losses take the life out of a University and Booster base.  How much longer will they ride this waterfall. 

• Like 1

Well. The hits keep coming. Chapel Hill has a very high pain tolerance. Georgia Tech, Duke & Western Carolina.....1-2 or 2-1?  I don’t see them beating Georgia Tech and the only way they beat Duke is because of the rivalry aspect. 

3 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

Well. The hits keep coming. Chapel Hill has a very high pain tolerance. Georgia Tech, Duke & Western Carolina.....1-2 or 2-1?  I don’t see them beating Georgia Tech and the only way they beat Duke is because of the rivalry aspect. 

Duke just lost to Pitt, so anything can happen. 

22 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

22 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Anything?? So they win 3 games versus 4. The ACC SUCKS. They cant get 4 wins in this conf. Lock the doors

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Anything?? So they win 3 games versus 4. The ACC SUCKS. They cant get 4 wins in this conf. Lock the doors

Yes, anything- you new to sports? My comment was mainly based on the Duke comment you made. Door has been locked since Week 2, not sure why you’re surprised by posting after each game. 

1 hour ago, Tyler12 said:

Yes, anything- you new to sports? My comment was mainly based on the Duke comment you made. Door has been locked since Week 2, not sure why you’re surprised by posting after each game. 

New?? Been at it before you were born or very close to it.  They suck....There I said it it. Frankly,  i knew it was coming two years ago. They are gonna win 2 games this year. Some of you were delusional and were thinking 6. That would be you. It was over for Fedora 5 weeks ago. The only question left is who is gonna replace him.

7 hours ago, Wrigley said:

New?? Been at it before you were born or very close to it.  They suck....There I said it it. Frankly,  i knew it was coming two years ago. They are gonna win 2 games this year. Some of you were delusional and were thinking 6. That would be you. It was over for Fedora 5 weeks ago. The only question left is who is gonna replace him.

Then you’ve seen some strange stuff, right? I never said they were going to win 6, I said they had several winnable games on the schedule outside of Miami/Virginia Tech. Their schedule wasn’t filled with Clemson’s. I’m delusional because I said they had winnable games? When Nathan was given the job, the door was officially closed. Anyone out there available worth throwing out the $ 12 million buyout for? 

If North Carolina wants to fire Fedora, they'll pay a buyout of $14 million. That figure drops to $10.5 million after the 2019 season, $7 million after 2020 and $3.5 million after 2021.
 Who are the Heels? Do they actually want to be a legitimate Football program, or just give their fans a way to pass time until B-ball season starts?  Today they're a team you schedule for your Homecoming. 

5 hours ago, work7 said:
  If North Carolina wants to fire Fedora, they'll pay a buyout of $14 million. That figure drops to $10.5 million after the 2019 season, $7 million after 2020 and $3.5 million after 2021.
 Who are the Heels? Do they actually want to be a legitimate Football program, or just give their fans a way to pass time until B-ball season starts?  Today they're a team you schedule for your Homecoming. 

That's a fact!!

I say keep him. They have spent too much on buyouts in the past. They have nothing for two seasons and the alumni is fine with hoops.

I’m not a Heels fan but pull for the entire state’s teams with UNC bringing up the rear. Surely the alumni are not crazy enough to let the admin sign that deal then fork over more money for someone next year. 

You have to ask how much does it cost to terminate and how much do you lose if you keep him.  Another bad recruiting class, more empty seats, less donation dollars, a buy out in a year, trying to hire a top new coach with the program declining further?  A lot of questions!

• Like 1

That fact that Tarheel fans are looking at a schedule to find 6 winnable games tells you about the state of the program right now. The worst possible scenario is for this team to win 2 or 3 games down the stretch because it would be enough for the administration to hang on to a losing hand. It is not fixable with the staff currently in place because in the end it always comes down to recruiting. They are in a downward spiral that only gets worse.

Anyone is available if you want them to be. I have no idea if they have the will to pay up and pay the buyout but as Btango mentioned you are losing dollars either way.  While I get it will always take a backseat to BBall the football program is still a powerful revenue driver when its right and when you start missing bowl games 2, 3, 4 years in a row the Tar Heel brand as a whole begins to get tarnished. The good news is you dont have the fervor of impatient alumnus and a fanatical fanbase to deal with. The bad news is rather than scream and stomp their feet they just stop writing checks and showing up.

Hard to recover once apathy has set in.   Want to see what it looks like when a basketball school gets it right in football?  Turn on your TV at 3:30 next week when Georgia rolls into Lexington. Keep telling yourself football doesnt matter at a basketball school.  

29 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

That fact that Tarheel fans are looking at a schedule to find 6 winnable games tells you about the state of the program right now. The worst possible scenario is for this team to win 2 or 3 games down the stretch because it would be enough for the administration to hang on to a losing hand. It is not fixable with the staff currently in place because in the end it always comes down to recruiting. They are in a downward spiral that only gets worse.

Anyone is available if you want them to be. I have no idea if they have the will to pay up and pay the buyout but as Btango mentioned you are losing dollars either way.  While I get it will always take a backseat to BBall the football program is still a powerful revenue driver when its right and when you start missing bowl games 2, 3, 4 years in a row the Tar Heel brand as a whole begins to get tarnished. The good news is you dont have the fervor of impatient alumnus and a fanatical fanbase to deal with. The bad news is rather than scream and stomp their feet they just stop writing checks and showing up.

Hard to recover once apathy has set in.   Want to see what it looks like when a basketball school gets it right in football?  Turn on your TV at 3:30 next week when Georgia rolls into Lexington. Keep telling yourself football doesnt matter at a basketball school.  

Keep powering through. Look forward to your commentary next week. 

I am actually the one keeping it alive. It’s hilarious to watch Fedora each week find ways to situationally lose football games. I heard a coach say something that applies to Fedora... he is “All hat and no cattle” pun intended. 😀. The helicopter arrivals and boastful arrogance is a comical on the recruiting trail now. I can’t wait until next week. I’m sure next weeks game will be “fast and not physical” 😂

13 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

I am actually the one keeping it alive. It’s himarious to watch Fedora each week find ways to situationally lose football games. I heard a coach say something that applies to Fedora... he is “All hat and no cattle” pun intended. 😀. The helicopter arrivals and boastful arrogance is a comical on the recruiting trail now. I can’t wait until next week. I’m sure next weeks game will be “fast and not physical” 😂

It certainly is himarious. Keep us updated on the game next week.