Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

My narrative is, if schools are caught breaking the rules, they should be punished. Not with a slap on the wrist, not with financial fines. I say fire some people, shut the program down for a while. If the fine is harsh enough, violations will stop.

You are dreaming.  There is to much money generated off an even horrible Football Program like UNC.  The NCAA and the University are complicit in the way the system profits of of the business of College Football and the athletes who are treated as commodities as the revenue rises.  Amateur sports no longer exist and the longer they fight to not make the adjustment to the changing environment the schools that are willing to work the gray areas will continue to reap the benefits.  The NCAA will never [punish the big time programs just look at Ohio State Urban Meyer violating title IX covering domestic abuse at two Power 5 institutions and he gets 4 game suspension UNC players sell a pair of Jordans and get a 4 game suspension whats wrong with this picture

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

Who would you fire? I'm curious to know.

I would start with coaches and AD's. If you can trace it to school administrators fire them as well. Only in sports and politics can people get away with cheating, lying and stealing to that extent. In most private industry situations that kind of crap doesn't fly.  I know I'm dreaming, but why can't we expect people to be honest. I think its true, money is the root of all evil. That's why I stick mainly with high school sports. The corruption has not gotten quite as bad, yet.

1 minute ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I would start with coaches and AD's. If you can trace it to school administrators fire them as well. Only in sports and politics can people get away with cheating, lying and stealing to that extent. In most private industry situations that kind of crap doesn't fly.  I know I'm dreaming, but why can't we expect people to be honest. I think its true, money is the root of all evil. That's why I stick mainly with high school sports. The corruption has not gotten quite as bad, yet.

So we're going to fire the coach and AD, both of whom had nothing to do with it? Sounds logical. 

6 hours ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Yep, they hold em accountable by allowing them to sign up for,  take and receive credit for classes that don't exist. I think it is referred to as institutional control or lack there of.  I know I'm a hater and always will be but all this kind of talk is why I hate. No school should be allowed to break NCAA rules.

Yea some of the rules suck. I think the NCAA should give every school three years to clean up their programs.  I'm not talking about student athletes issues, ie, selling shoes. I'm talking about institutional issues. Tell all schools any school that violates the rules will not be allowed to participate in any sport for two years!  Harsh heck yea its harsh, but don't you think it would benefit collegiate sports in the long run. 

Don't give the NCAA any ideas.  Look just how they have screwed to pooch in the past.  They have a way of make a mess of everything they stick their nose into.  Look at the Sandusky issue at Penn State.  That. my friend, was a criminal justice issue, not an NCAA issue; yet they still stuck their nose into it.  Keep the NCAA the hell out of college academics.

Yep fire em all, keep on firing till you get down to folks with integrity and morals. Its my opinion guys. I know it will never happen. What if schools knew that would happen if they were caught. You pay a head coach 1 - 6 million dollars, yea he's most likely willing to bend some rules to keep a gig like that. Pay em $150,000 max. If that's not enough, let em get real jobs. Dream, Dream, Dream all I have to do is dream.

46 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Yep fire em all, keep on firing till you get down to folks with integrity and morals. Its my opinion guys. I know it will never happen. What if schools knew that would happen if they were caught. You pay a head coach 1 - 6 million dollars, yea he's most likely willing to bend some rules to keep a gig like that. Pay em $150,000 max. If that's not enough, let em get real jobs. Dream, Dream, Dream all I have to do is dream.

What is a “real job”? 

13 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Ok, another job. I think you know what I mean. I ain't going to happen so it really don't matter.

You lost me on that one. Oh well! Not the 1st time for me....

19 hours ago, btango said:

What is a “real job”? 

Real job??  Sounds like Career regret to me. 😂

BTW looks like Hurricane Florence keeps Fedora from UCF blowing them out this week. The game has been cancelled.  

4 hours ago, football101 said:

ECU does not  take non qualifiers, no AAC school takes non qualifiers. When they were in Conference USA they took partial qualifiers.

I should have been more specific.  ECU had players on their rosters that committed to other D1A schools but were not accepted which was allowed in Conference USA.  American Athletic Conference does not allow non allow non qualifiers and I believe it was that way when they joined in 2014.  This would be the first season in almost all scenarios that the roster would have no partial qualifiers.  I do not think ECU was over the top with it like a few schools were.  Not sure if any FBS conference takes non qualifiers now although the Sun Belt may still do so.

2 minutes ago, btango said:

I should have been more specific.  ECU had players on their rosters that committed to other D1A schools but were not accepted which was allowed in Conference USA.  American Athletic Conference does not allow non allow non qualifiers and I believe it was that way when they joined in 2014.  This would be the first season in almost all scenarios that the roster would have no partial qualifiers.  I do not think ECU was over the top with it like a few schools were.  Not sure if any FBS conference takes non qualifiers now although the Sun Belt may still do so.

I don’t think they officially take them but i know of some young men that there was no way they should have qualified and low and behold they made it to campus. If a school values a kid they will figure out a way.  You are also correct during the Conference USA days ECU was a go to school for non qualifiers. Ruffin really took kids like that under his wing. He was very strict but sometimes he had a few that he could not reach. 

Friend played LB for Ruffin at Texas Tech.  Said he would get in your azz hard but cared about him and his teammates on another level than any other coach he ever had.

On 9/10/2018 at 1:59 PM, SPRaiders78 said:

Private industry situations? I guess you dont recall the economic collapse of 2008, Enron, BP, Madoff etc, etc........makes selling shoes look like not paying a library fine. 

Fedora is guilty of being a lousy builder of a program but I have zero reason to question his integrity.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:32 PM, work7 said:

A&T has beat 3 FBS money games, 3 years in a row. Top 5 FCS program in the nation, with about 5 players on this squad projected shot's at the NFL. Damn good program. 

A&T played that game VERY well and are a VERY good program. That so called "gap" is becoming smaller and smaller....

Earlier someone mentioned Brent Venables as a possible successor.  One question.  Will UNC pay what they have to get him away from Clemson?  My initial thought is no.  He's one of the highest paid DC's in the country.

There have been some great co-ordinators that were marginal head coaches.  A lot of people thought NC State made a terrible hire but his plan seems to be coming together.  A few years ago we thought Fedora was "the one" as UNC played Clemson to the end in the title game.

7 hours ago, JJ Barile said:

Fedora needs another year or 2... See what happens, imo. maybe UNC just needs to hire some new coordinators after this year?

They don't have the players on the roster now to change anything around. They're dead last in recruiting. How would new coordinators change anything? They should cut ties with Fedora immediately and get someone in, who can start recruiting the 2020 Class. 

• Like 1

Do you think owing Fedora roughly $14 million after this year has something to do with no firing him yet?  Remember he just got an extension through 2023 and is on year 2 of that extension...just wondering if that has anything to do with staying with him or not 

His buy out drops to $10.5 million after the 2019 season, $7 million after 2020 and $3.5 million after 2021. If they wait, what type players are they going to have on the roster? They are currently competing against mid major programs in recruiting, and losing. Their top recruit this year is a RB  from New Jersey? Lot of stud rb's within a 2 hour drive. RECRUITING!