Jump to content
Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ConnerP said:

Anybody else think the clock management at end of game by UNC was, shall we say, “confusing?” It worked out for UNC but...

Yea I would've shut down all of social media if SC scored on that. Think there was some miscommunication on what should've been done but I like how Mack handled the situation afterwards. Coaches were kinda going nuts and Mack was telling them to calm down. What a up and down game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ConnerP said:

Anybody else think the clock management at end of game by UNC was, shall we say, “confusing?” It worked out for UNC but...

It was a disaster.  I nearly fell out of my chair when they took the knee with 11 seconds. 

That said....Bentley was TERRIBLE today. He has regressed badly. He was better as a Freshman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyler12 said:

Yea I would've shut down all of social media if SC scored on that. Think there was some miscommunication on what should've been done but I like how Mack handled the situation afterwards. Coaches were kinda going nuts and Mack was telling them to calm down. What a up and down game. 

Not sure what happened there? Maybe they were confused about what down it was? Mack didn't seem happy about it and the sideline was sweating bullets. At first I thought maybe they were looking to take a delay of game since they were midfield and were going to make sure the kicker had a better chance of not getting a touchback? Then having the returner field it would have burned about 6 or 7 seconds. Maybe that is what Mack wanted but was an error on the freshman QB? The QB and Mack had a pretty lengthy discussion before that play so it's a head scratcher. Either way it's a huge win for the program right now. Mack certainly cares about that program is the big takeaway for me in the interview.

#mackisback

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wrigley said:

It was a disaster.  I nearly fell out of my chair when they took the knee with 11 seconds. 

That said....Bentley was TERRIBLE today. He has regressed badly. He was better as a Freshman 

Glad it wasn’t just me. I’m sitting there doing the math saying they’ve got to run plays that use more time or back up/run around/ delay in taking the knee. I figured they must just be planning on punting it deep out of bounds with just a few seconds left... something. Truthfully, anything but taking a knee on 4th in easy Hail Mary range with 11 seconds left. You could hear Mack  yelling “Sam 3 seconds” for when to snap it each time. 

I literally looked at the guys I was watching the game with & said “No math majors on that staff.” They got away with it but it was stunningly bad.

Agreed on Bentley.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Wrigley said:

It was a disaster.  I nearly fell out of my chair when they took the knee with 11 seconds. 

That said....Bentley was TERRIBLE today. He has regressed badly. He was better as a Freshman 

He has always been an INT waiting to happen in the red zone.  Great guy, good teammate but dang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, btango said:

He has always been an INT waiting to happen in the red zone.  Great guy, good teammate but dang.

Last drive he had a guy on a little skinny post( think it was Shi) . Had his guy beat by 3 steps, no safety help and he air mailed the throw by 20 feet. That's a HS throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody giving the Heels credit for the 4th quarter comeback. Yes the Gamecocks got a gift possession and had they scored it would have been a collapse for the ages...but the defense made the key play when they had to. Too bad he was down and that add on TD that would’ve made it 30-20 didn’t count. What about  Muschamp’s bonehead decision to punt at midfield on 4th and 1 midway through the 4th quarter? Didn’t work out too good for the Gamecocks. Can’t play not to lose and it bit them. Heels did make some mistakes after that but the momentum was clearly on their side after that. GO HEELS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 7:23 PM, Wrigley said:

Please god.....someone put him out if his misery. Its difficult to watch at this point.

 

UPDATED: 11/26/18 Mack Brown to be named as the new head coach at UNC. 

Shows what you know about football in this state.  Nothing.

And all the experts who watched on the tee-vee missed the obvious.  The Shamecocks wilted in the heat.  If nothing else, Mack has the team in great shape.  I was there and saw the Tar Heels dominate the 4th quarter especially; the SC fans got tired too, especially in the 4th quarter.  Sitting in the shade was too much for those lightweights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UNC outgained So Car by over 200 yard, and SC scored on a busted play and missed tackle. Add in the terrible special teams play by UNC and ultra conservative red zone offense in the first, and that's the only reason the tar heels didn't dominate the game... They were stronger up front and bullied that "SEC" LINE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaxAct said:

Shows what you know about football in this state.  Nothing.

And all the experts who watched on the tee-vee missed the obvious.  The Shamecocks wilted in the heat.  If nothing else, Mack has the team in great shape.  I was there and saw the Tar Heels dominate the 4th quarter especially; the SC fans got tired too, especially in the 4th quarter.  Sitting in the shade was too much for those lightweights.

 

You might want to go back and check the date on my post. It was from last year...lmao. I was talking about Fedora.

I have a pretty good understanding of football. Thanks though for your reply ...12 months later.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaxAct said:

Shows what you know about football in this state.  Nothing.

And all the experts who watched on the tee-vee missed the obvious.  The Shamecocks wilted in the heat.  If nothing else, Mack has the team in great shape.  I was there and saw the Tar Heels dominate the 4th quarter especially; the SC fans got tired too, especially in the 4th quarter.  Sitting in the shade was too much for those lightweights.

 

Did anyone notice Javonte Williams yesterday. He's a beast! And,he is from our Wallace - Rose Hill area. Young man going to be a great football player if God chooses.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dogs79 said:

Did anyone notice Javonte Williams yesterday. He's a beast! And,he is from our Wallace - Rose Hill area. Young man going to be a great football player if God chooses.

Javonte is almost impossible to bring down by one player. He breaks a lot of tackles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 7:05 PM, Tyler12 said:

Hey Guys. 

Everyone feeling OK?

Grab a beer, get your girl and let's talk about it. 

Oh yea...

MACK IS BACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Great win....Muschamp is a disaster in game Coach and coming up Franks at Miami is an INT waiting to happen. If Heels can steal these first two they may get to 5-6 and be able to hold on to those 4/5 star recruits which is imperative to the future of the program. Everything else is irrelevant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, Wrigley said:

It was a disaster.  I nearly fell out of my chair when they took the knee with 11 seconds. 

That said....Bentley was TERRIBLE today. He has regressed badly. He was better as a Freshman 

Not sure when Bentley was injured in the game,but he has been ruled out indefinitely due to a foot injury.South Carolina will start a freshman next week replacing the injured Bentley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 71K said:

Not sure when Bentley was injured in the game,but he has been ruled out indefinitely due to a foot injury.South Carolina will start a freshman next week replacing the injured Bentley.

Saw that. His play was terrible but you always hate to see that. Might be his last game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyler12 said:

He came down awkwardly on that last play. 

Twitter can just be brutal. Some of the things I have seen posted about this kid in the last 24 hours is just crazy nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, dogs79 said:

Did anyone notice Javonte Williams yesterday. He's a beast! And,he is from our Wallace - Rose Hill area. Young man going to be a great football player if God chooses.

#25 Javonte Williams is no joke. He was running all over the Gamecocks!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, Creekprogram said:

Great win....Muschamp is a disaster in game Coach and coming up Franks at Miami is an INT waiting to happen. If Heels can steal these first two they may get to 5-6 and be able to hold on to those 4/5 star recruits which is imperative to the future of the program. Everything else is irrelevant.  

Yes, Franks is an INT waiting to happen but he plays for UF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sup guys. Hope we don’t lose any recruits in front of that packed out crowd while beating yet another Power 5 school in back to back weeks as underdogs. Let’s go! Mack is BACK! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had 4 kids go to App State. It was fun watching Mack have a heart attack today losing to a team who just recently entered D1. Mountaineers have been the best program in NC for some time. My neighbor said App could never beat an ACC team. How did that go?

App State is not South Carolina They have been in a bowl game every year since eligibility which has never been done in college football. And winning those games. I can’t remember Carolina ever beating a top 5 school but little App State did. Maybe Carolina should have avoided App another decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RedRaider73 said:

Mack is back (in the geriatric ward).  This throwback experiment sure ain't working out the way the Hole fans dreamed.

I would think sensible UNC fans are not too concerned about this season.  They could easily be 0-4 or 4-0.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, btango said:

I would think sensible UNC fans are not too concerned about this season.  They could easily be 0-4 or 4-0.  

Come on Btango, I know you and you are better than that. The unc-cheat goggles have to come off at some point. Every team could be 4-0 or 0-4. The fact that the unc-cheat faithful louded "Mack is Back" and the fact that the sleeping giant has never been awake opens your fan base up for ridicule. Losing to a NC State coach has to sting.... It's ok. Nobody expects anything from unc-cheat until the envelopes deliver recruits. Everyone knows how the process works. Y'all have a couple of years of payments until it starts delivering! Just look at the recruiting in NC. Top prospects are now "committing" to unc-cheat after 8 years of losing out on them. $$$$$$ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, btango said:

I would think sensible UNC fans are not too concerned about this season.  They could easily be 0-4 or 4-0.  

They just dont have the horses to deal with injuries especially in the lines. If I am Mack I sit everyone with a hangnail next week and try and set myself up to win 4 games which I think is doable. 6 games and a bowl would be a huge step in right direction plus extra practice time to set up next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So when did it become a bad thing to be excited about your team getting a good coach and having the potential to be a good team? Great win for App but still excited about the Heels. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

They just dont have the horses to deal with injuries especially in the lines. If I am Mack I sit everyone with a hangnail next week and try and set myself up to win 4 games which I think is doable. 6 games and a bowl would be a huge step in right direction plus extra practice time to set up next year.

I would have to agree with you Wrigley, with the injuries on the lines right now they don't have enough horses right now. I have always said this was a 2 to 3 year rebuild. I said coming home from the game maybe winning the first two games may not have been a good thing  now a lot of people are expecting too much out of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WM1977 said:

Every team could be 4-0 or 0-4. 

I don’t think so.  I thought UNC was lucky to get the two wins.  Thought the injuries doomed them the two losses.  Think the statement is fair and reasonable.

Man, your hate is hilarious.  Your predictions for Montgomery Central this season was more crazy than the UNC whacks.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 84k said:

I would have to agree with you Wrigley, with the injuries on the lines right now they don't have enough horses right now. I have always said this was a 2 to 3 year rebuild. I said coming home from the game maybe winning the first two games may not have been a good thing  now a lot of people are expecting too much out of them.

Stadium was packed today, Sell out. That's due to the first two wins. Thought they stole one from Miami but had chances at Wake and today. I'm not a Tarheel guy but he has them playing very hard and Howell probably is the best thing to happen to Mack.

Ga tech , Mercer are wins. He has to get 2 more out of Duke, NC State, Virginia,  Pitt.

I think he gets it because.......MACK IS BACK

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason7482 said:

So when did it become a bad thing to be excited about your team getting a good coach and having the potential to be a good team? Great win for App but still excited about the Heels. 

...but the haters gotta validate their hate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure why people consider this such a massive upset.  Coach Fedora left the program in shambles, with no quality depth at all.  With the injury to Heck, #48 for App State had a field day.  Without his two turnovers, this is a completely different ball game.  That is why, although I love playing in state schools, its a no win situation to play App State.  If you win..."who cares, you're a P5 schoo; and you should have won."  If you lose, everyone acts like you are the worst football school in the world, and the fact that you already beat an ACC and SEC opponent suddenly don't matter anymore.  Appalachian State is a program that has steadily been on the rise, and is probably one of the biggest success stories in terms of jumping from G5 to P5 we have seen.  If I am not mistaken, they have won their conference 3/4 years and won their bowl game every year since making the jump.  UNC will be fine, Mack will add depth, and App State will get a chance to validate this win in 2022 and 2023.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×