Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

The “Basketball school” excuse is just that an excuse. Cutcliffe came in and per his words had the most out of shape football team he has ever seen. He also has academic restraints and Duke has a respectable brand of football at a “Basketball school”. Fedora is overtly arrogant which does not translate in the homes and schools with families and Coaches.  He refuses to adjust his high tempo offense that does not have the athletes to run such a system and keeps his defense on the field the majority of the game. The game day experience and Fan apathy included makes it an awful formula. 

I think a Satterfield from App State a young innovative coach who can grow with a rebuild similar to Lincoln Riley is the ticket.  

16 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

The “Basketball school” excuse is just that an excuse. Cutcliffe came in and per his words had the most out of shape football team he has ever seen. He also has academic restraints and Duke has a respectable brand of football at a “Basketball school”. Fedora is overtly arrogant which does not translate in the homes and schools with families and Coaches.  He refuses to adjust his high tempo offense that does not have the athletes to run such a system and keeps his defense on the field the majority of the game. The game day experience and Fan apathy included makes it an awful formula. 

I think a Satterfield from App State a young innovative coach who can grow with a rebuild similar to Lincoln Riley is the ticket.  

I'm being selfish here.  Leave Satterfield out of this fiasco.  I like him on the mountain.  He is appreciated in Boone.  That can't be guaranteed in Chapel Hill.  In refence to your Cutcliffe comments:  Coach "C"'s  time in Oxford Ms. prepared him well for the academics at Duke.  Ole Miss academics are tough and he knows how to work within that environment.

What I was saying in that earlier post is the administration of UNC has never committed the university to having a quality football program.  They have always been perfectly happy with a 7 - 9 win season in football.  Respectable.  They seem unwilling o take it to the next level.  Why?  I do not know.  The pieces of the puzzle are there.  They just don't get put together.

49 minutes ago, Creekprogram said:

Fedora was supposed to be the "young, innovative offensive minded" coach of the future type deal, right? atleast thats what i remember hearing when he got hired.

I doubt Charlie Strong would leave South Florida for UNC with the state of the Carolina program.  I expect he believes with a few good years of continued success at USF he will an SEC job opportunity but at UNC there would be a lot less pressure, 8-4 and a mid tier bowl keeps people happy.

18 minutes ago, btango said:

I doubt Charlie Strong would leave South Florida for UNC with the state of the Carolina program.  I expect he believes with a few good years of continued success at USF he will an SEC job opportunity but at UNC there would be a lot less pressure, 8-4 and a mid tier bowl keeps people happy.

Think he might be rolling the dice there. It would have to be a 2nd tier SEC team and the reality is I think things may get tougher at USF if UCF can maintain its success.  I still think the UNC job is a hidden gem for the right guy but your right. Its in terrible shape right now. Guy like Strong changes the recruiting dynamic tomorrow, Venables is a name sure to come up as well.

7 hours ago, JJ Barile said:

Fedora was supposed to be the "young, innovative offensive minded" coach of the future type deal, right? atleast thats what i remember hearing when he got hired.

He was and still is but it shows the difference between play calling and uptempo offense and building a program. Two entirely different skill sets. In the end 80% of the ball game is recruiting. Begins and ends there. If you are UNC you gotta get at least 50-70% of your in state 4 stars and steal some out of Virginia and Tenn. He is getting nothing right now.

I will be honest. I think they got lazy in state.I think 14-15-16 they thought they could wait on in state talent and still get those kids to sign and they got their clock cleaned. They were either late or never offered a TON of kids while looking at out of state kids that they had little or no chance on. Then it got late and the in state kids were gone. They were left with 2nd and 3rd options.  

1 hour ago, Wrigley said:

Think he might be rolling the dice there. It would have to be a 2nd tier SEC team and the reality is I think things may get tougher at USF if UCF can maintain its success.  I still think the UNC job is a hidden gem for the right guy but your right. Its in terrible shape right now. Guy like Strong changes the recruiting dynamic tomorrow, Venables is a name sure to come up as well.

One thing to add to the equation, Charlie Strong is 58 years old.  (I remember the first time I met him in 1991.)  If he wants the Power 5 job how long can he wait and what type of rebuild is he willing to take on.  Personally, I think the chances are better that his last HC job is at USF than not.  Time will tell...

13 hours ago, Wrigley said:

My thought 3 months ago was that they would let him play it out. Mostly because I thought he may get lucky and get a split in the first 4 games. Clearly that isnt gonna happen. I think you put an interim in to at least signal to recruits and possible candidates that your serious about righting the ship. If its me I take a real good hard look at Charlie Strong. I think Texas jumped the gun and I have to believe he would like another Power 5 opportunity.  

Charlie Strong? No way. He’s a top caliber coach who would never be more than mediocre at a place like Carolina. The students, school, and alumni don’t have strong enough support with football for a top tier football coach. They have put all their focus in basketball. Even lacrosse and soccer have had way more success than football. They need a up and coming hard nose disciplinary coach and an admin who supports it instead of allowing scholarship players in sports to suffer only a couple game suspensions for breaking rules.

Frankly seeing the high school years around here and the parent handling, I’d be surprised if Surratt was at Carolina next year. Speculation from news I’ve seen is he is not a favored guy by Fedora anymore after the shoe sale incident. Having said that I think he would be nuts not to give Surratt another go sometime during the year. 

We all like the idea of removing players from the team for an infraction or a full year suspension but I do not know of any place that happens.  UGA is notorious for having issues with players breaking rules and two big timers missed games for selling items (AJ Green bowl jerseys and Todd Gurley his autogpraph).  I think they received two may be three games.  There are a lot of coaches that will talk about being tough on discpline but the people in the stands on Saturday do not really care if you lost because players were suspended for wrongdoing.  They just want a W. 

Most people will be surprised about this but UNC is probably more strict than almost all schools on holding the players accountable the last several years.  They have also been the most tight with the academic exceptions.  That is one issue that most people do not realize but a lot of players they initially go after are not getting past admissions.  That was something that was pushed hard by the board, faculty, alumni, and admissions after some of the papers written by players and some semester grades were released.  If they get a a fairly impressive "name" coach he is going to want assurances that certain admissions policies are loosened and that may happen if they continue to stink it up this season which I do expect is a given. 

18 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

I'm being selfish here.  Leave Satterfield out of this fiasco.  I like him on the mountain.  He is appreciated in Boone.  That can't be guaranteed in Chapel Hill.  In refence to your Cutcliffe comments:  Coach "C"'s  time in Oxford Ms. prepared him well for the academics at Duke.  Ole Miss academics are tough and he knows how to work within that environment.

What I was saying in that earlier post is the administration of UNC has never committed the university to having a quality football program.  They have always been perfectly happy with a 7 - 9 win season in football.  Respectable.  They seem unwilling o take it to the next level.  Why?  I do not know.  The pieces of the puzzle are there.  They just don't get put together.

No offense, but at least from what I have observed through friends going to Ole Miss and such, it is not that hard to get into and it is nowhere near the academic prestige of Duke. In fact a quick google search says nearly 79% of applicants are accepted at Ole Miss. So, no the academics of Ole Miss do not prepare you to succeed at Duke. Sorry. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 7:17 AM, Catholic said:

It's a great day in America when UNC loses, so keep him around for a good while. 

Well looky there Catholic, there is something you and I agree on!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btango said:

Most people will be surprised about this but UNC is probably more strict than almost all schools on holding the players accountable the last several years.  They have also been the most tight with the academic exceptions.  That is one issue that most people do not realize.

Yep, they hold em accountable by allowing them to sign up for,  take and receive credit for classes that don't exist. I think it is referred to as institutional control or lack there of.  I know I'm a hater and always will be but all this kind of talk is why I hate. No school should be allowed to break NCAA rules.

Yea some of the rules suck. I think the NCAA should give every school three years to clean up their programs.  I'm not talking about student athletes issues, ie, selling shoes. I'm talking about institutional issues. Tell all schools any school that violates the rules will not be allowed to participate in any sport for two years!  Harsh heck yea its harsh, but don't you think it would benefit collegiate sports in the long run. 

46 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

Yep, they hold em accountable by allowing them to sign up for,  take and receive credit for classes that don't exist. I think it is referred to as institutional control or lack there of.  I know I'm a hater and always will be but all this kind of talk is why I hate. No school should be allowed to break NCAA rules.

Yea some of the rules suck. I think the NCAA should give every school three years to clean up their programs.  I'm not talking about student athletes issues, ie, selling shoes. I'm talking about institutional issues. Tell all schools any school that violates the rules will not be allowed to participate in any sport for two years!  Harsh heck yea its harsh, but don't you think it would benefit collegiate sports in the long run. 

You're confusing yourself with the old regime. Entirely new administration, top to bottom.  

Edited by Tyler12

On 9/9/2018 at 7:17 AM, Catholic said:

It's a great day in America when UNC loses, so keep him around for a good while. 

How I feel about Miami, since they last won anything (2001). 

As a coach, here is my question for UNC. It's been repeated multiple times on this thread, but just how committed are you to winning in football? Basketball will always win at Chapel Hill, that is just the way they are. However, recruits want a chance to win and leave their mark on a university. When an athletic department doesn't show a desire to win in football it's apparent to everyone.

Losing to ECU 41-19 is a complete embarrassment for the program, I know A&T is legit, but they're an FCS program and they even beat ECU. If Fedora survives this year I will be floored. They might start 0-6 just looking at their schedule, sad. 

34 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

The crackdown I referenced was the result of the AA classes.   

If sports were removed from a university for two years it would be financially crushing to the athletic department for years to come.  It would also hurt the university overall in several ways and harm local economies that survive due to the athletic events.  In addition, a lot of people would lose their jobs.  

May be sports and education should not be combined.  At any level. 

From an outsiders perspective there is no reason why UNC should ever be bad.  The have had splashes in the past of being good and there is no reason why they do not win 7-8 games a year, with an occasional 5-7 here or there when rebuilding but never should they be awful 

3 hours ago, btango said:

Most people will be surprised about this but UNC is probably more strict than almost all schools on holding the players accountable the last several years.  They have also been the most tight with the academic exceptions.  That is one issue that most people do not realize but a lot of players they initially go after are not getting past admissions.  That was something that was pushed hard by the board, faculty, alumni, and admissions after some of the papers written by players and some semester grades were released.  If they get a a fairly impressive "name" coach he is going to want assurances that certain admissions policies are loosened and that may happen if they continue to stink it up this season which I do expect is a given. 

We saw this happen with Summers and other high end athletes. they would get offered by UNC but end up at somewhere like Hargrave or ECU.

While i was in college from 2007-2013, the 2 schools i went to didn't have football.. UNCC (at the time didnt have it) and UNCG, so I started going to all the other college games around the state mainly because i love football, but also partly because I had many friends who played college ball at that time (07-11). I've seen UNC, NC St, Wake, Duke, App St, Elon, A&T, ECU, WCU. Seeing Julio Jones play against Duke in 2010 was cool.

I'm not a UNC fan, but Ive been to multiple UNC games and followed the program from 2007-2013. I can easily say that UNC is well known for being very strict on football and academics since the program was started and when i went to some of the games....

1 minute ago, JJ Barile said:

We saw this happen with Summers and other high end athletes. they would get offered by UNC but end up at somewhere like Hargrave or ECU.

ECU accepts non qualifiers so a lot of ACC players have been lost to the Pirates.

4 minutes ago, Mustang sally said:

From an outsiders perspective there is no reason why UNC should ever be bad.  The have had splashes in the past of being good and there is no reason why they do not win 7-8 games a year, with an occasional 5-7 here or there when rebuilding but never should they be awful 

I agree and so do a lot of former players.  

20 minutes ago, Tyler12 said:

You're confusing yourself with the old regime. Entirely new administration, top to bottom.  

He does not care.  It fits the narrative he supports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My narrative is, if schools are caught breaking the rules, they should be punished. Not with a slap on the wrist, not with financial fines. I say fire some people, shut the program down for a while. If the fine is harsh enough, violations will stop.

28 minutes ago, SPRaiders78 said:

My narrative is, if schools are caught breaking the rules, they should be punished. Not with a slap on the wrist, not with financial fines. I say fire some people, shut the program down for a while. If the fine is harsh enough, violations will stop.

You need to take that up with the NCAA, in regards to the punishment and their bylaws. 

Who would you fire? I'm curious to know.