Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Wrigley said:

Not defending Fedora. He didnt get it done. The story you are describing could be repeated in just about every school. Have heard the exact same story about Dabo and Brian Kelly. Hard to imagine anyone more arrogant than Urban.

I can attest to that personally.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

I don’t question Thig & Bly on recruiting I question the ability to Coach with limited experience at the level they are going to be expected to teach.....all the rah rah is good but at some point you gotta be able to flat coach and the resumes of these two anyone would admit are questionable. 

Thigpen has about 15 years in the MAC, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC.  Hopefully he can coach um up.  First, need to get the right players on campus.  This is going to be a very interesting couple of years, for sure.

20 hours ago, Wrigley said:

Not defending Fedora. He didnt get it done. The story you are describing could be repeated in just about every school. Have heard the exact same story about Dabo and Brian Kelly. Hard to imagine anyone more arrogant than Urban.

Thats fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the new coaching staff is having to clean up that situation created by Fedora.  That was my point in replying to the poster who said I was trying to drag him after he was gone.  Not true at all, I voiced the same concerns about him while he was the coach, and now that I am finding out more information, I will continue to drag him. 

Poor ol Coach Fedora! He will probably starve along with his children, he will never be able to get another head coaching job. I think we should start a "go fund me page" for him. 

How long have ya given coach Brown? Some of you are already wearing his butt out. Oh well, I guess we all gotta complain about something. It sure has been fun watching this thread go on and on.

GO DEACON'S and yes, I know they suck, just not as bad as the Heels.

I haven't seen many true Carolina fans wearing Mack Brown out.  Instead of worrying about Carolina, focus on the success of Coach Clawson at Wake Forest.  I have never understood fans of other schools who go out of their way to talk about what is going on at other schools.  

4 hours ago, coachE42 said:

Thats fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the new coaching staff is having to clean up that situation created by Fedora.  That was my point in replying to the poster who said I was trying to drag him after he was gone.  Not true at all, I voiced the same concerns about him while he was the coach, and now that I am finding out more information, I will continue to drag him. 

Whats interesting about Fedora or at the very least his staff is that early on they did a better than decent job of recruiting in state and picking up some good skill players from outside. Trubisky was a steal. One would have thought the ACC championship would have pushed that even further ( though the pending sanctions were an issue ). Once the sanctions became a non-issue they just never got any momentum. 

1 hour ago, coachE42 said:

I haven't seen many true Carolina fans wearing Mack Brown out.  Instead of worrying about Carolina, focus on the success of Coach Clawson at Wake Forest.  I have never understood fans of other schools who go out of their way to talk about what is going on at other schools.  

I guess I'm just not as into it as you guys seem to be. Eighteen pages on the Carolina coaching situation just seems a little much to me. But hey if that's what tickles your funny bone, carry on. Everybody needs something to occupy their time. Y'all have fun, I'll continue to follow.

1 hour ago, SPRaiders78 said:

I guess I'm just not as into it as you guys seem to be. Eighteen pages on the Carolina coaching situation just seems a little much to me. But hey if that's what tickles your funny bone, carry on. Everybody needs something to occupy their time. Y'all have fun, I'll continue to follow.

Not just you, but most of the responses are just fans of other schools aimlessly obsessing over a coaching search that has nothing to do with their school.  I actually love Wake Forest, because Clawson always finds a way to crush the dreams of the red headed step child of the state.

I hear you. As much as anything I just like to get people stirred up. Please don't take anything I say personal. Just having fun coach just having fun.

I'm Baptist so that's why I say Wake. To tell you the truth, I don't get  very excited about any football past high school. Way to much money involved in my opinion. My school is Gardner-Webb. I graduated in 83. They were pretty good when I was in school but they played in the old NAIA. A competitive league for small schools. Now all that is gone, everybody wants to play big boy ball. Some schools don't and will never have the personal to complete at that level. 

• Like 1

Going from Red Bull to prune juice

Ask Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, and Frank Beamer if they forgot anything about coaching and recruiting as they got older. They’ll probably tell you they didn’t, but their record will say otherwise. Saban is the outlier and it might be because he’s literally a machine. Those other guys fall in line with Mack Brown.

16 hours ago, packman6 said:

Going from Red Bull to prune juice

Ask Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, and Frank Beamer if they forgot anything about coaching and recruiting as they got older. They’ll probably tell you they didn’t, but their record will say otherwise. Saban is the outlier and it might be because he’s literally a machine. Those other guys fall in line with Mack Brown.

Huge difference in this comparison is that none of these guys took a 5 year break from the craft. If Mack Brown had not been on the retirement TV host tour and still close to the ground big difference. Now if he would have knocked it out of the park on assistants who have experience with results and not just “good guys” it would fly. The scenario right now with them limping along on staff does not bode well for success. 

There are very few coaching staffs with new head coaches that have more than 5 coaches on staff.  Tyson Helton currently has 5 holdovers from the previous staff at WKU, and Matt Wells basically brought all of his coaches from Utah State.

http://footballscoop.com/news/scoop-staff-tracker-2018-19-new-head-coaches-staffs/

This isnt like an anomaly because he has been out of coaching for 5 years.  This is him taking his time to make sure he hires the right guy.

I know Coach Houston at ECU has completed his coaching staff.  Although it has not been made public.

48 minutes ago, coachE42 said:

Well yes, its easy when you just bring your whole staff as opposed to hiring a complete staff.  

Makes it even harder when you have been away from the game for 5 years........

5 hours ago, Creekprogram said:

Makes it even harder when you have been away from the game for 5 years........

UNC has reached an agreement with Army DC and Broyles Award finalist Jay Bateman to lead its defense.

6 hours ago, Tyler12 said:

UNC has reached an agreement with Army DC and Broyles Award finalist Jay Bateman to lead its defense.

I heard this earlier.  Hope it is a done deal.

Wow. UNC got Galloway as WR's coach and Bateman as DC. Man UNC is about to turn some heads. Mack is doing a masterful job already. Operating this more like a CEO instead of day to day operations 

UNC might be getting a big commit tonight. Khafre Brown said he is committing tonight at 8pm unless it’s a fake account.Tennessee was leading to get him but maybe not now. This a Tennessee Mod on Rivals.

Dt74MN7UUAMTf58?format=jpg&name=medium

Its a nice get but lets be honest. Brother is there and they have always done well with in state skill guys. 

By the way...did Osborne transfer?