Wrigley

Mack Brown named new coach at UNC (Updated)

Rate this topic

Please god.....someone put him out if his misery. Its difficult to watch at this point.

UPDATED: 11/26/18 Mack Brown to be named as the new head coach at UNC. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

Blown out by a team that lost to A&T...... fun times 

A&T has beat 3 FBS money games, 3 years in a row. Top 5 FCS program in the nation, with about 5 players on this squad projected shot's at the NFL. Damn good program. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MooresvilleDevil06 said:

Blown out by a team that lost to A&T...... fun times 

A&T is no slouch these days....

Not saying it isn’t a good program..... my point was an ACC team shouldn’t  be getting blown out by teams like ECU (or A&T if they were to play)... and that’s on fedora. The really shouldn’t be an excuse for UNC to be that bad. 

And the sad thing about it, is they gave him a contract extension first of the year.

One of the worse game managers and situational coaches I have ever seen. Horrible recruiter that thinks he can recruit nationally. NC kids don’t take the program seriously anymore. NC State and App State have passed them.  If he is still employed after today they deserve what they get 

• Like 1

My big question:  Just how committed is UNC to winning in football?  This is not a recent issue, but goes back a long time.  Mack Brown saw it when he left for Texas.  Maybe they should go ahead and demolish Kenan Stadium.

Personally I think both coaches are on the so called hot seats. 

Fedora hot seat is probably closer to a dumpster fire. Between the past couple of years, loss of recruits, players suspended for selling shoes and a blow out by ecu and almost no emotion in that loss. If he survives the season I will be surprised.  

Montgomery at ecu is another hot seat. Another season sub .500 and I could see him done. Sure beating UNC is a feather in his cap but at the end of the day that win will be tarnished when UNC ends up a 2-3 win team

Fedora deserved a lot of leeway due to the scandal but they did not capitalize at all on winning their division and playing Clemson to the last play in the ACC title game.  Program has totally fell apart.  

People are pointing to the suspensions and those are hurting the team but that is a program issue, also.  Even without the suspensions is Surratt really the QB to lead them to five wins or with him playing well do they have the team to win five.  Due to the issues I am now thinking we are very possibly looking at a one win team.

Now the big question:  When do they fire him?  Let him go now or in the next few weeks is not the example they want to set.  The sooner they terminate him the sooner they can put this behind them.

Who do they go after as coach.  I like Mike Houston from James Madison but for some reason I think they will blow the hire badly.  Roy Williams is retiring in a few years.  If a coach that can call a game well and win comes in they may be in a perfect position to take advantage of a possible dip in basketball success.  The new coach is going to need to be a guy who goes out to the high schools and make a relationship with those coaches.  Win NC in recruiting should be the number one goal.

15 hours ago, Rick Harrington said:

My big question:  Just how committed is UNC to winning in football?  This is not a recent issue, but goes back a long time.  Mack Brown saw it when he left for Texas.  Maybe they should go ahead and demolish Kenan Stadium.

Rick, you should remember Bill Dooley leaving for VA Tech.  He did not think there was a chance that he would get the support he needed from UNC regardless of his success due to the emphasis being basketball.

53 minutes ago, btango said:

Rick, you should remember Bill Dooley leaving for VA Tech.  He did not think there was a chance that he would get the support he needed from UNC regardless of his success due to the emphasis being basketball.

That is exactly what I was thinking John.  The almighty basketball calls the shots in Chapel Hill, always has and always will.  The university administrators will not commit to a top tier football program for some unknown reason.  I thought the Butch Davis hire was a step in the right direction, but we all know what happened there.  Quite honestly, I don't know if they really care about being successful.  The administration sure as hell did not appreciate the job Mack did.  No name coach would not even consider the Carolina job.  It just ain't that good at this point in time.

12 minutes ago, Rick Harrington said:

That is exactly what I was thinking John.  The almighty basketball calls the shots in Chapel Hill, always has and always will.  The university administrators will not commit to a top tier football program for some unknown reason.  I thought the Butch Davis hire was a step in the right direction, but we all know what happened there.  Quite honestly, I don't know if they really care about being successful.  The administration sure as hell did not appreciate the job Mack did.  No name coach would not even consider the Carolina job.  It just ain't that good at this point in time.

And yet they came out of pocket with an extension on this guy when it really wasn't necessary. SO I am not  sure if its complacency or incompetence. 

7 minutes ago, Wrigley said:

And yet they came out of pocket with an extension on this guy when it really wasn't necessary. SO I am not  sure if its complacency or incompetence. 

I question Fedora's leadership ability.  Seem like he will not man-up to some of the problems they have had.  Injuries are one thing that he can't control.  The shoe/uniform issue is another and just what does he do:  Sticks his head in the sand.  Take charge and lead.  Kick the offenders off the team and revoke their scholarships.  That, most certainly, will send a message.

1 hour ago, btango said:

Fedora deserved a lot of leeway due to the scandal but they did not capitalize at all on winning their division and playing Clemson to the last play in the ACC title game.  Program has totally fell apart.  

People are pointing to the suspensions and those are hurting the team but that is a program issue, also.  Even without the suspensions is Surratt really the QB to lead them to five wins or with him playing well do they have the team to win five.  Due to the issues I am now thinking we are very possibly looking at a one win team.

Now the big question:  When do they fire him?  Let him go now or in the next few weeks is not the example they want to set.  The sooner they terminate him the sooner they can put this behind them.

Who do they go after as coach.  I like Mike Houston from James Madison but for some reason I think they will blow the hire badly.  Roy Williams is retiring in a few years.  If a coach that can call a game well and win comes in they may be in a perfect position to take advantage of a possible dip in basketball success.  The new coach is going to need to be a guy who goes out to the high schools and make a relationship with those coaches.  Win NC in recruiting should be the number one goal.

My thought 3 months ago was that they would let him play it out. Mostly because I thought he may get lucky and get a split in the first 4 games. Clearly that isnt gonna happen. I think you put an interim in to at least signal to recruits and possible candidates that your serious about righting the ship. If its me I take a real good hard look at Charlie Strong. I think Texas jumped the gun and I have to believe he would like another Power 5 opportunity.  

• Like 1