Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Shelby Thoughts for 2018

Rate this topic

After watching Shelby hang on to defeat Freedom 31-21 last night, and thoroughly watching the players go through warm-ups, and how they interacted with their coaches, I've come away with these thoughts on the Golden Lions and how I feel they can do this season. 

1. They are not a Top-5 team at this point.  Can they become one?  Absolutely.  In fact this team has the kind of talent, and most importantly coaching to become a very dangerous team.  They are young in spots, they lack experience in other spots, but they are scary athletic and have receivers who can burn you on any play, and I don't necessarily mean burn you deep, but they can take a short pass and turn it into an 80-yard gain very quickly. 

2. Isaiah Bess is young, raw, but has incredible potential. He has a cannon of an arm when it comes to his deep ball, but at least during warm-ups on his short passes, I thought he rushed it and tried to push the ball a little bit too hard.  He's got the attributes you are looking for though, he's tall, he's long, and he's athletic.  I don't think he's got the toughness he needs yet, I think he'll gain that over the next few weeks, but right now he's a little timid on running to contact.  That will come in time.  As he grows, I think this team grows and before you know it, he'll be a seasoned kid that is expected to win.

3. The game against Freedom was good for them.  I could see it in the kids eyes a little bit, they got up 24-7 and maybe coasted for a bit and maybe for a second, they didn't think that Freedom was going to dig-in and play them a full four-quarters.  I think this game when we look back will be a huge coaching point and an eye-opener for these kids that showed them that you have to play a 4-quarter game. 

4. It won't get any easier.  Three road trips in a row to A.C. Reynolds, Burns, and Crest followed by two grueling games against Kings Mountain and a slobber knocker on the road against Mount Pleasant, you will really get to see what this bunch is made of.  Even if the Lions lose a game, or two, or three, I don't think you should feel that the sky is falling.  They'll still come together and be a 2nd to 4th round kind of playoff team with a solid chance of playing the second week in December. 

5. Jack Hollifield is GOOD!  I think in time he may be just as good if not better than his brother Dax, or at least good in different ways.  I think he's going to be much bigger and has extreme potential at the next level.  It is fun to watch his fly around and make plays.  He's still young and makes mistakes sometimes and lines up out of place, but his motor is insane and he's just a baller.

6. Both lines are the most underrated part of this team.  Everyone raves about Bess or Hollifield or the loads of skill talent, but the offensive and defensive lines are where its out for Shelby.  They are big, physical, and are very well coached.  As they get better, Shelby will get better!  

2018 Games to Watch

8/15 Freedom (W 31-21)

8/24 @ A.C. Reynolds

8/31 @ Burns

9/7 @ Crest

9/14 Kings Mountain

9/28 @ Mount Pleasant

10/26 @ East Rutherford

11/2 South Point

As I know this just Week 1 but Shelby D n O line look tired at times esp on D as Freedom Qtr had all day at times in late 4th qtr 

Im sure they will get better but just a note to see if they fix n change that later in the yr 

They have a problem until they establish a run game.  Also thought the dbs got a little sloppy in the secnd half.  Freedom was not a good team, whatever the reason being early in the season , or just not alot of talent, defense of freedom did not "get after it" at all.  Freedom was also one stop away from having the chance to win a ball game on the final drive. And two dropped passes stopping drives. imo freedom should have won that game.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HIBRITEN92 said:

They have a problem until they establish a run game.  Also thought the dbs got a little sloppy in the secnd half.  Freedom was not a good team, whatever the reason being early in the season , or just not alot of talent, defense of freedom did not "get after it" at all.  Freedom was also one stop away from having the chance to win a ball game on the final drive. And two dropped passes stopping drives. imo freedom should have won that game.

I will say, they very well could have... We had the ball deep in their territory and turned it over on downs, we had a field goal blocked, we under throw a wide open receiver streaking down the sidelines that would have been a sure touchdown but turned into an interception...

We left 17 points out there on those drives...

The first half was complete dominance for our defense..-1 or -2 yards and one first down for freedom on a penalty against us. At the half Coach Little absolutely adjusted and put those kids in a better position.. They began hitting the quick passes, worked the middle of the field and made a run at it.. I thought our defense looked tired and worn out in the third quarter, but stepped up big when they had too. Freedom started getting after us on both sides of the ball which shows a very well coached team, they didnt fold under pressure from being behind and made their run, then we buckled down when we needed to to secure the win

We have a long way to go and I believe before this year is up, we will be a tough out... May take a lump here and there, but will be dangerous come playoff time.. . for a first game, I thought overall they did some great things, and then some not so great things as can be expected

Sky is the ceiling for Bess.. . First varsity start 28-36 370 Yards 2 td's passing and one rushing... Pretty phenomenal for a first time out.... And dont sleep on Freedom that team is going to be really good, they have some great athletes on both sides of the ball

and will be hard to handle as well

looking forward to what the rest of the season holds for these Lions,

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, Chris Hughes said:

1. They are not a Top-5 team at this point.  Can they become one?  Absolutely. 

Looks like I was right on the money about Shelby back in August. They went through a rough spot, because they play an aggressive schedule, but I’m not sure I’d be betting against the Lions over the next month. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Hughes said:

Looks like I was right on the money about Shelby back in August. They went through a rough spot, because they play an aggressive schedule, but I’m not sure I’d be betting against the Lions over the next month. 

Bad news for a lot of hopeful teams in the West. The ACR loss never bothered me. The Crest loss is a rivalry game although I don’t think Crest beats Shelby today. The Burns loss had me thinking they might be doomed offensively. That loss should never have happened even with line issues. Bottom line is they beat East Rutherford and South Point which has made me a believer again. Honestly I didn’t think they would beat South Point.

QB Bess is another talented young man in the Coach Ware era. If he gets time he has a very good arm. Looks like the offensive line issues are diminishing each week and as Cheerduck says “it’s not where you start but where you finish.” With the talent they have on defense this team could win it all. That’s not home cooking typing either. They’re back and better than at least ten teams ranked in front of them.

Edited by GDG
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are exactly who we hoped they wouldn't be. If you can't put pressure on the Shelby qb, you will get beat. If you can't put pressure on their qb or play pass coverage, I promise you you will get beat.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, Chris Hughes said:

When it gets cold outside Shelby gets hot...

• Like 2

You guys may get that shot, NCHSA seems to pair us early to put one of us out, seems there tired of us winning.

Back to us playing, inless Coaches change something on D, which I dont see this late in the year, like u said result maybe say..

One thing for sure I hate to play them again,  that offense is so discipline

Offense yes, defense not so much. 

I was personally a little ticked at Shelby for the last TD. It was clear to me SP was spent. It was a butt kickin, even if the final had been a nine point spread. 

SP kicker has been inconsistent all year.  When SP was leading 12 - 0, I felt then they were in trouble. Catch him on a good night, have the defense make just a couple stops and the results could be different. I'm sure Shelby coaches and fans don't think they played their best either. 

Good luck to the Lions, if they play and beat SP again, I'm sure they will be back in the Western final.

We want that shot a Hibriten,  we feel it slipped away last year..we have lot more fire power this year, maybe not as much on D. But plenty on offense.

• Like 1

From what I've been told, Hibriten is in the same boat. D not as strong as last year but a killer fast O.

That matchup would resemble the Shelby vs SP game.  I haven't seen Hibriten this year, not sure just how fast they are. Playing inferior competition all year can't be helpful to them though. You guys went into that game banged up, that didn't hurt Hibriten's chances. 

Its hard to gauge this team. Closest margin of victory was 34 points. Punted 3 times. We may be really good or we may get hit in the mouth at some time  like 2016.

There is nothing weak about Hibriten  tell me were we are weak at?? No one really scored on us because they score on our 2nd and 3rd screen we weak on defense, Now get real people Hibriten is just as strong as it was before on both sides of the ball. Everyone has excuses cause we won State. Shelby you are a great program ,But a bunch of sore losing fans making all these excuses why they lost . Never have heard one Hibriten fan talk junk about any program!! But you steady do it to us!! We get no respect. Everybody sitting here worried about Shelby and South Point you better be worried about us, But if we lose I eat crow later, But one thing about it if you beat us you better be darn good.      

• Like 1

Not sure who would be worried about SP more than Hibriten, we got it handed to us last week. After last week I've already made plans to attend the Hibriten/Shelby game in a few weeks!

LoogDoggy, u sound like a cry baby,  get real u dont know how good you guys really are cause, you played nothing but sub 500% teams.Not saying you guys are not a good team, we know they are, with loads of talent, the thing Shelby defends is were Hibriten folks say they blowed Shelby out last year.Fact are it wasnt a blow out and Shelby had there chances, Bottom line weak or strong we will be ready to play, you beat us again I'll be 1st to say  congratulation .

Both teams have got to get that far before you start worrying about it. I expect that will be the case but you still have to preform to make the Western Finals.

• Like 1

Hummmmm!! I think SHELBY awesome, Nah we didn't blow them out, But we did have one hell of a game!!! and Never a cry baby just tired of hearing bull.

SP concerns me a bit, i think in some weird way we can put pressure on passing qb better than making quick reads at the line of scrimmage. Not saying anything at all about our lb core but they have to make the correct reads or sp is in the secondary quickly.  I do also believe that sp will not stop hibriten like they did in 16, the same goes for the sp linebackers, they better make quick reads,,, correctly,,, or witherspoon will be in the end zone.

14 hours ago, shelbyfan said:

LoogDoggy, u sound like a cry baby,  get real u dont know how good you guys really are cause, you played nothing but sub 500% teams.Not saying you guys are not a good team, we know they are, with loads of talent, the thing Shelby defends is were Hibriten folks say they blowed Shelby out last year.Fact are it wasnt a blow out and Shelby had there chances, Bottom line weak or strong we will be ready to play, you beat us again I'll be 1st to say  congratulation .

Come on man,, you cant say that a lot of hibriten fans been on here talking about blowing out shelby,,  No one would agree that a 19 to 7 game is a blowout,, just some quotes about shelby not executing when they needed to caused them to loose that game, and we both know that there were times that night where neither team did. However it looks like none of this makes a damn if we cant get round 4 anyway. Gona have to play some good football the next three weeks to prove we belong!!   HERE'S TO STOPPING EVERYONE ELSE'S " DRIVE FOR ONE" 

• Like 1

So many people were worried about Shelby after their start. Now here they are with a road they can navigate to the West championship game. I also think we see an upset the get's Shelby at home till that game. Congrats to Coach Ware, his staff, and the players. Awesome job to stay the course.