Sign in to follow this  
FrmerCoach

Best True Big Man since 2000 Peidmont Area

My vote goes to Donte Minter (West Rowan).  

Statline: (approximation)-rounded it off up or down

2100+ points

1000+ rebounds

500+ blocks 

Went to Fork Union Prep then Virginia and transferred eventually to Appalachian State for his final two years.  Played several years overseas and is now teaching and coaching in Virginia.  In HS he was unstoppable with his post moves and sheer size, height, and physicality.  

Thoughts on others? 

I'm not sure.  I'm gonna have to think about that one for a while.  Donte Minter's not a bad choice though.  Watched him beat up on Parkland in 2001 i believe?  Might have been the year after....

Not sure if he classifies as a big man, but Eric Hicks was a formidable inside presence for Dudley back in the early 2000's.  Hicks played on the inside for Bob Huggins and Cincinnati shortly after. 

If you went back a few years further it would be a no brainer, Jason Parker of West Charlotte.  One of the most dominant to ever play in state.

My reason for going back a bit is due to the lack of really big time big men.  Bam probably fills the role.  Would need to go back three season for Haywood and one for Parker.  Parker was a senior in 1999.  Most dominating performance I have seen in a state title game.  Haywood in 1997.  Think Dudley won the state title his junior year.  Indy won in 1997.    

Regarding Parker or Haywood.  Saw them both play numerous times in high school.  Parker did not have the height at 6"8" but played in the middle.  Really impressed with his all around game, touch, handle, strength, D, and definitely board game.  Thought he was better than Haywood in high school although Haywood was probably a bigger recruit due to being 6'10" ish and more potential.  I am sure there are a lot of opinions on it.  Parker is a sad story of NCAA redtape and screw ups.

I will take your advice and not cheat.

• Like 1

Kennedy Meeks, Jason Parker and Haywood are the top three that I can think of in a long time. But I am sure there is someone that I am not remembering..

Larson was smooth and athletic but he was a forward playing the middle.  Probably 6'6" at best.  Fun team to watch!  

Where did he play before moving to Lake Norman?  Thought he played middle school in Charlotte?

Larson was smooth and athletic but he was a forward playing the middle. Probably 6'6" at best. Fun team to watch!

Where did he play before moving to Lake Norman? Thought he played middle school in Charlotte?

I think he was at LKN all 4 years- might be wrong. I know that year a pg fro Garinger came to LKN, along with a couple from the huntersville area. Basically an entire AAU team played for LKN that year

To add to what you said tango- that Lake Norman team was so disgustingly good it's crazy. Best combination of overall size and talent I've seen come through that program. They were 6'+ at every position on the floor... smallest kid on the team was maybe 5'11. Overall that was one of the best teams I've ever seen in person

And I'll never forget the game at Lake Norman vs Hopewell... #1 v #2 in NC at the time. That place was filled to capacity by the time JV Boys tipped off

You may be correct on Larson.  I also thought he was at LKN all four years but wondered if he played middle school ball in Charlotte. Probably have him confused with the player from Garinger.  Would be curious to know what feeder middle they attended.  Crazy hoops talent for a period between Vance, Hopewell, and North Meck plus LKN.  WOW!

LKN had some really good players but no superstar types.  They played great team ball, hustled, were aggressive, and could shoot it.

Sign in to follow this