Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

West Charlotte head coach Daren Hart steps down

Rate this topic

Daren Hart has stepped down as the head coach of West Charlotte High School effective immediately.  He has already notified his team and the school administration.  I was able to confirm this information with him today. 

This is really unfortunate because I've seen first hand the hard work he's done in trying to build a foundation of an already fragile program.  From trying to raise money for a washing machine to spending his own money to take young men on recruiting trips and getting players into colleges, he's done a stand up job. 

Being a former college coach, he knew what it took to get kids prepared for the next level and I thought he was doing the best he could do given the circumstances he had to face.  

I think the community wanted a winner but didn't want to wait the time it took to build up a program and solid foundation.  

I certainly hope West Charlotte can find some stability, this is too proud of a program to fall into mediocrity.  

Hart went 2-14 in his season and a half leading the Lions. 

Since veteran head coach Pete Gilchrist left the team after a state runner-up season in 2006, the Lions have had merry-go-round of coaches including a few one-year only head coaches. 

Things have really gone down hill for West Charlotte since the alleged recruiting scandal in 2007 that saw veteran head coach Maurice Flowers fired after one season when he led the Lions on a 13-2 record.  He was forced out by the NCHSAA and went down to Chester, S.C. where he competed for multiple state championships. 

Another big blow to the WC athletics. I will say the only thing that is positive for the future is The Stadium is better with a newer field and track and Better stands on the visitor side.

I wish WC all the best on trying get their program back on track and Hopefully they find the right coach that they feel will WIN.

Good luck to Coach Hart in his future endovores

• Like 1

Another big blow to the WC athletics. I will say the only thing that is positive for the future is The Stadium is better with a newer field and track and Better stands on the visitor side.

I wish WC all the best on trying get their program back on track and Hopefully they find the right coach that they feel will WIN.

Good luck to Coach Hart in his future endovores

You are correct, the facilities are amazing now with the stadium renovation and community pride.  I'm aware of the struggles they've faced and hope for the students in the building that they can turn things around.  

If you don't work everyday in these high schools on the west side of Charlotte, you won't understand. There isn't a coincidence that Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools are discussing redistricting measures to provide more diverse schools. If you read Langston Wertz, Jr's write up of the reasonings behind this coach's resignation, you'll understand. I see it everyday as a teacher.

• Like 1

If you don't work everyday in these high schools on the west side of Charlotte, you won't understand. There isn't a coincidence that Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools are discussing redistricting measures to provide more diverse schools. If you read Langston Wertz, Jr's write up of the reasonings behind this coach's resignation, you'll understand. I see it everyday as a teacher.

I had a conversation earlier with Coach Hart who said about the same things to me that was quoted in the Observer. 

Here is a link to Langston's article; Charlotte Observer - West Charlotte High's Daren Hart resigns as football coach

• Like 1

The Coach from WC is not alone. There are some Coaches around the state in other sports are doing the same thing and going through the same thing. Trust and believe I know exactly what he is talking about . I feel your pain . Sometimes you can do all you can do and look around and your still by yourself and NO help. ITS TOUGH !!!!

There are many schools like this from one end of NC to another.  Once proud programs that have hit hard times such as, West Charlotte, Smith, Parkland, Carver, Independence, Cummings, Graham, Anson, Harding, Hickory.  Where the support, demographic change, choice transfer, economic downturn has dried up makes it tough to coach in any of these schools.  The only way to get any of these programs back to being good/great is to have a principal and AD School systems that will put the money into the program and also to give as much support and time as possible needed for a coaching staff to fix the problem.  Right now it might take a new coach 5,6,7 years to fix any of these programs. What you are also starting to see in many places is a revolving door of coaches which compounds the situation and sets these programs back even further. Tough to see the coach leave I am sure he did as much as he could for these kids and that is the true sad story here the players.  No really no quick fix and many experienced coaches won't touch many of these places.     

• Like 2

Nope its much bigger than that , its a mental thing if you cant give 100% at what your doing DO THE RIGHT THING AND MAKE A DECISION  ,at least he is man enough to say it and let someone else do it. There are factors that involve why someone does what they do people change jobs everyday for different reasons. When your overwhelmed and its taking a toll on you step away and get yourself together and recharge, when you feel its time to get back at do it . Look at what happened to the Coach at Independence he never got a chance so the people in charge wasn't thinking about the kids . WERE THEY? Its a struggle sometimes in high school sports as a coach , you don't do it for the money because there isn't much but you have to have resources to help you maintain and at least make it easier on you while doing something you love doing. WC is not Mallard Creek or Butler, Charlotte Catholic etc, they have the resources and backing , and you know what based on the article the washing machine didn't work ? Do you know what it takes and how long to wash 100 plus uniforms every day  and hoping not to have or get a an infection. That's serious when your washing machine is broken. I bet the schools that I mentioned don't have that problem, they probably have 2 or 3 washing machines. So if you haven't experienced something like that which I have  its not easy. So give the man a break and understand that he made a decision and he can live with his decision and move on.  

Tough situation no doubt. Presumably Mr.Hart was aware that he wasnt taking over Charlotte Catholic when he took on the opportunity.

So it became overwhelming?? I assume that emotion is one many of those kids feel everday. The message that has been sent loud and clear is ...bail. He had 6 weeks left and he quits mid season. Sorry...terrible decision. Suck it up until the end of the season. Teach the kids about finishing what you started.

• Like 2

It sounds to me like he was forced out, I may be reading too far into the situation but it sounds like he did not have support within his own coaching staff or AD(who is a new hire on the year).  From what I have heard, he was in school the next day, to me that does not sound like someone who bailed.  It sounds like someone who was forced out and did it to avoid any further conflict that would negatively affect the kids.

It does not take 5-6 years to build a team to be competitive period....there are plenty of examples to the contrary (East Meck, Vance, West Meck...should i go on???).  I was at the field dedication and the support of the staff, community and business leaders for West Charlotte is there.  This is a clear case of poor leadership of a young coach and the administration is implicit in his decision as well for hiring him. He knew the situation he was getting into along with the improvements that were coming. You do not quit half way through the season period. You cannot be forced out of a Coaching and or teaching position in CMS there are rules of employoment within CMS that prohibit such actions.  This is just not even in the area code of a "MAN MOVE".....The kids are the ones that continue to be damaged by bad adult decisons..

Amen, Mustang. A dedicated field and community members attending the ceremony doesn't equate to a supportive program. Go back out there once the glitter has faded away, and tell me what you see. Because that crowd that they brought to Harding was meager.

Creek Program there just happens to be an opening in Charlotte right now apply get that job and turn it around my friend 

Just saw this.....must have hit a nerve.  I stand by my comments selfish decision by an adult that impacts kids.  5-6 weeks left stick it out and then move on after the season ends..... oh and how I wish i had time to apply based on my current career not possible but.....maybe in the future who knows...