#5 Reagan vs. #12 A.L. Brown

#4 South Caldwell vs. #13 High Point Central

Bottom Bracket: 

#3 Charlotte Catholic vs. #14 Vance

#6 T.C. Roberson vs. #11 Seventy-First

--

#7 North Davidson vs. #10 Southeast Guilford

#2 Scotland vs. #15 Davie

My opinion:  This is a very competitive bracket from top to bottom, but there are certainly some favorites and potential upsets. 

I don't think anyone will argue that Dudley is a shoe-in for the third round.  Who they face is the big question.   I feel this Friday's game between Reagan and Kannapolis will be the clash that determines who faces off against the Panthers. 

I feel Kannapolis is the favorite based on physical toughness, strength of defense, and strength of competition and schedule.  While I've seen both teams multiple times, I feel Kannapolis not only has the offensive weapons to keep pace with Reagan's high-octane offense, but the Wonders more importantly have the defense to stop them in crucial situations.  While I'm going to stop short of making this an out-right win for the boys in green, it's certainly the best game in the 4A this week and one I'm certain to see. 

High Point Central will be a tall task for South Caldwell.  While I feel the Spartans could pull it off, I think both will face a potential stopping block against either Kannapolis or Reagan. 

The bottom bracket is just as interesting. 

While Charlotte Catholic is a machine and those kids are extremely well coached and run their system to perfection, I'd be scared to death to face Vance.  I don't think, I know that Vance has the talent to stop the Catholic season and they could easily advance all the way to the finals as a #14 seed.

However I do think Catholic will find a way to pull away late, but I won't call the shot and claim Catholic wins easy.  This will be a fight. 

I think Seventy-First will give T.C. Roberson all kinds of fits and regardless of the long drive, the Falcons will come home victorious and most likely face Catholic, but we could also see a Vance at Seventy-First matchup win the second round as well, be prepared. 

North Davidson should have the firepower to beat Southeast Guilford but they could be deflated a bit after Friday's emotional win over West Forsyth.  I think Mark Holcombe can find a way to get his troops grounded after that big win. 

Finally though, it's my opinion that they're all playing for second because I see Scotland going all the way to the 4th round and most likely defeating Dudley for the right to play for the championship. 

I have talked myself into Vance. Lots of football reasons but in the end I think they will play loose with a nothing to lose attitude and the football gods may owe them one. Going back to last year's final they have lost 4 games on the last play of game or OT. That's got to turn at some point.

If they get a win at Keffer, look out

Scotland-CC will basically be playing for a state championship. A run thru the West will be memorable for the teams and fans but will take its toll as these teams beat each other up. Depth may become a big factor by the 3rd round. That is the best thing the East has going for them. Maybe the West champ will come limping into the Championship game.

In my honest opinion, I don't see Scotland beating Dudley based on the Panthers d alone. The Panthers will blow up plays, and take away it's opponent does best. I also don't see Catholic beating the Panthers neither because the D is well coached to stop Wing-T offenses. i think back to the 2013 season when CC had Elijah Hood, and Dudley was able to stop him in key situations. The Panthers D is designed to play discipline & blow up plays in a Wing-T offense. i think the only team that can match the Panthers in physical combat & aggressiveness is Vance when it's on it's 'A" game.

4A West is loaded! A team that isn't getting a lot of talk is N. Davidson, Scotlsnd could potentially see them @ Pate in round 2. Like I said on another message board I think they could pose a great threat to the SCOTS. I'm really interested in thst matchup.

• Like 1

4A West is loaded! A team that isn't getting a lot of talk is N. Davidson, Scotlsnd could potentially see them @ Pate in round 2. Like I said on another message board I think they could pose a great threat to the SCOTS. I'm really interested in thst matchup.

Hmm, interesting. North Davidson could cause problems, but I don't think enough to be Scotland truthfully.

Scotland potentially gets a HUGE test in the 3rd round.

Not this year I know yall was waiting for me to stick me foot in my mouth but I think this is our year and its going to take a extra effort to send the SCOTS packing.

Davie first, small , not very fast, Scotland should move the ball at will, enough said.....

North Davidson now thats a different matter, wait to the weekend for that one, see if thats the matchup...

Scotland better hope its not raining again, one RB from the Scots will not run consistently on the Panthers. Rain or shine, Scotland want be able to run away with this potential matchup. As far as talent look at the stats, well balanced running and passing. Lets just wait and see what happens. Sounds like the same tune we heard in 2013, we witnessed the final results. Panthers will be ready for opponents.

All of these things I agree with. I think Dudley would have won 2013 regardless, but the rain and muddy field certainly played into the Panthers hands and made the game more of a blowout than it would have otherwise been. The difference now is that Scotland is a much stronger, power running team behind sophomore Zamir White.

Remember Zamir White's name, I was told when he was in the 8th grade that he would be the next Todd Gurley, and he's proving it. The 6'1, 200+ pounder is a kid in a man's body and he has carried the load and has over 1800 yards.

Think Scotland losing their left tackle on the first series hurt them a ton as well.

I like Dudley because they can stop the run, I respect Catholic because they run, & run powerfully thru teams. However, the Panthers D blows up plays & take away an opponents best. If Scotland and Catholic only have one true back, watch out, D boyz will drive you under the earth (pun intended).

Dudley and Scotland battle it out on this side of the bracket and likely go on to win the state 4A title.  I like Dudley over Scotland in a close one when it's all said and done.

Don't sleep on Vance.  If they play to their ability, they can play with and beat some really good teams on this side of the bracket on any given night.

I think maybe he was taking a Brown Scotland regional final ?????????

Derek check your email sent something early week, may not have put subject in it..

Harry also..