Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Anyone in NC willing to go toe-to-toe with Tom Knotts and Dutch Fork in 2016?

Rate this topic

Knotts-Tom7.jpg

(Photo Credit: Randy Rimland)

Dutch Fork High School is searching for a home football game for the 2016 season.  The openings are August 26th and September 23rd (Week's 1 and 6). 

Obviously this would set up a huge game between legendary head coach Tom Knotts and a Tar Heel State opponent.  Of course the scheduling would have to match-up, but it would be fantastic to see a Charlotte area squad be able to make the trip south of the border to face the 4A power Silver Foxes. 

Since arriving at Dutch Fork, Knotts immediately transformed the cellar dwelling Silver Foxes into a 4A power and has led his team to the 4A Div. I state championship game three consecutive times, winning the state title in 2013. 

Of course everyone knows what Knotts was able to do in his 28 year career in North Carolina, he orchestrated Independence's 109-game winning streak, seven consecutive 4A/4AA titles, and building powerhouses at Harding, West Charlotte, and Independence

Knotts owns a 364-74 record (375-63 on the field).

Related:

The Tom Knotts File

• Like 1

Tom Knotts should come back to NC. He deserves a special place in the HOF for what he did to elevate NC football to a higher level.

You've got that right.  

I'd love to see him come to a private school in Charlotte and be allowed to play a big time national schedule against the big powers, Hoover, STA, DLS, DBP, etc.   With ESPN-U being based in Charlotte, he could become their darling when it comes to big-time nationally televised games. 

Would Mallard Creek take advantage of the opportunity?

It depends on how long they're in agreement with Charlotte Preps TV and the opening week kickoff event they were in at Memorial Stadium. 

Would Mallard Creek take advantage of the opportunity?

Mallard Creek has Brynes visiting next year. I know Palmieri and Knotts are very cordial with each other. Palmieri loves putting the Team in hostile environments. I could definitely see this game happening week 1. I believe currently in talks with Gaffney.  That would be 3 South Carolina Teams & Butler for out of conference games. Love it.  

• Like 2

ask TK what happened the last time he brought his 4A power West Charlotte team to Kannapolis,,,,, after us going to the Mecka Im sure Newsome would play him if we could work it out

Tom Knotts is the type of guy that would not only improve the program he's coaching, but all the surrounding programs. He'd be a shot in the arm to Wake County. He's a good Albemarle man, so what can you expect?

Someone joking about the Albemarle line....I'm originally from Albemarle too....

only thing decent ever come out of albemarle is hwy 52 and kricket morton :)

• Like 1

Tell Coach Knotts to call Pinecrest!!!  If Pinecrest wants to be "Elite", then they will take on the challenge!!!

• Like 1

I'd love to see him come to a private school in Charlotte and be allowed to play a big time national schedule against the big powers, Hoover, STA, DLS, DBP, etc.   With ESPN-U being based in Charlotte, he could become their darling when it comes to big-time nationally televised games. 

That makes the most sense. No way a public school in NC can pay him what he makes in SC. He could take a private school and be a powerhouse in a few years. 

• Like 1

That makes the most sense. No way a public school in NC can pay him what he makes in SC. He could take a private school and be a powerhouse in a few years. 

Agreed! But I always thought that Charlotte Catholic was the best landing spot, obviously they went with Brodowicz but I remember the TK rumors.  That would have been the best of both worlds for TK, play against CMS schools and play for a NCHSAA title, and have the freedom to play a national schedule in off-season. 

Agreed! But I always thought that Charlotte Catholic was the best landing spot, obviously they went with Brodowicz but I remember the TK rumors.  That would have been the best of both worlds for TK, play against CMS schools and play for a NCHSAA title, and have the freedom to play a national schedule in off-season. 

Don't you think other private schools will join like CC has? I could see Char Christian doing that.

• Like 1

I don't know there.

FYI, TK just texted me and said he will play ANYBODY!

Catholic would be an excellent matchup. Brown, or maybe even Concord. I'd love to see Mount Pleasant play them but I doubt that would happen.

Catholic would be an excellent matchup. Brown, or maybe even Concord. I'd love to see Mount Pleasant play them but I doubt that would happen.

I would think Shelby is probably the only 2A school he would play.  Monroe may be better than Shelby this year (??) but that is not the name.  I think he would prefer a solid 4A team and at the least a definite title contender in 3A.

He took DF to Allen, Texas last year to play the nation's number one ranked high school team and defending "mythical" national champion.

I was assuming you guys were talking to some non-Charlotte teams. Knotts was already dethroned and relegated to second fiddle status behind Butler before he ever left town. For Butler, it's been there, done that already.

I wouldn't mind seeing some other top programs take their shot at him, though. Richmond played him tons back in the day while he still in Charlotte, so maybe someone else besides the Raiders.

I would like to see Butler play one of the Rock Hill schools, Byrnes, or Spartanburg.  

That was what I was thinking. Used to be Big Bad RC would be the team to go play him. I would love to see them get back to that elite level they used to be. But, they aren't there right now. Mallard Creek, Hough?, and maybe Independence playing would be cool. Is Hough good again this year? What about Crest? They seem to think they are the best. Havelock wouldn't be scared to play either, I guarantee that!

Havelock wouldn't be scared to play either, I guarantee that!

Havelock played very small 1A Jones County for a few years.  Havelock and New Bern are in a tough geographical fix but I do not think Havelock has played many top flight teams non conference.  Doubt they would travel 350 miles to play Dutch Fork.

Havelock would definitely not travel that far to play them, but they wouldn't back down from the challenge. Their location is a problem when it comes to playing the best competition. They play most of the best around the coast they can find. And regularly play JH Rose and New Bern every year. I don't keep up with the Charlotte teams like I used to but I think many of them would be ready to play DF. Maybe Charlotte Catholic?

I would love for Richmond to drop the Anson game and go to Ductch Fork.

The problem is the gate for a game like that most likely wouldn't cover expenses.

The problem is the gate for a game like that most likely wouldn't cover expenses.

If they would share the gate for expenses it could happen. With the right hype this game would pull a big crowd from the columbia and surounding areas.. 

That could be worked out. It's not a overnight. Transportation and a meal.

Knotts is 2-0 against Mallard Creek, so Palmieri owes him a couple.

Hough didn't even exist yet when Knotts left town, so I doubt he would get too excited about traveling out of state for that matchup.

Crest? Hahahaha...yeah, that's a good one. Crest will quit ducking real competition when pigs fly.

1st game that year was a classic. 2nd one was a clinic

• Like 1