Sign in to follow this  
Chris Hughes

Seems like we should be starting a Bell Game thread this week.....(DOH!!)

Rate this topic

The leaves are changing, it's getting cooler, we're about to move the clocks back an hour, and the Wonders and Spiders are both (9-1) and (8-2) collectively.  These things should signal the Bell Game being played this  Friday right?  But (DOH!! as Homer Simpson says!) I forgot, they played back in the steamy 90 degree weather in August.

Still doesn't see right.  

Maybe Jim West will give us some good news with his mock NCHSAA Realignments for the 2017 realignment. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-31%20at%204.45.3

Photo from Friday Nights in K-Town

• Like 2

We can all hope but if I'm not mistaken in the mid to late 2000s, for a couple years they were in the same conference, and still played about game 7 or so. If I'm correct don't all the coaches in the conference have to agree to let them play the last game? They have to make the schedule for 9 teams and if that doesn't jive with a couple of them, who knows.

Okay, I've got some feedback from the staff and particularly Buddy Amerson regarding the South Piedmont Conference.  This is the conference that I anticipate:

A.L. Brown

Concord

Cox Mill

NW Cabarrus

Central Cabarrus

Jay M. Robinson

Jesse Carson

West Rowan

East Rowan

Should this model hold, guess what?  Concord and A.L. Brown will once again be playing the Bell game the last week of the season.  As a football purist, this is the time of the season that this game should be played.

9 is fine,kann could keep moores and sr and get hr

We can all hope but if I'm not mistaken in the mid to late 2000s, for a couple years they were in the same conference, and still played about game 7 or so. If I'm correct don't all the coaches in the conference have to agree to let them play the last game? They have to make the schedule for 9 teams and if that doesn't jive with a couple of them, who knows.

Unc, that was when the 2 of us was in that sorry league w all those union county schools,, massey told me the union schools always voted to do things their way and they would always gang up and outvote us or yall when we tried to get this game last on the schedule bc they thought their rivalries were jus as big as the bell game, no lie,, what a bunch of dumasses. They also didnt care none whatsoever about our traditions either, they honestly thought their programs and rivalries were jus as important, no lie

Sorry league, and none of them traveled well either, yet we had to drive an hour one way for every contest, varsity or jv, boys or girls,,,, that league was jus terrible all around for both our schools period

• Like 1

Does Brown and Concord ever play alumni games? I'd pay some good money to see one if Coach Hardin and Coach Smith were roaming the sidelines.

Weve had dinners to bring back all the former coaches, but no alumni games that im aware of

Great idea someone should take and run with bc ur right i imagine both schools would net big $$$ and it would b great to get so many players back that young kids have grown up watching

Present company excluded, a lot of folks don't realize that this was not always the season finale. 1954 was the first season when it was the last game. If you could go back in time to that year and ask Concord folks who the Spiders big finale rival was, they'd most likely have said Lexington. From 1928 to WW2 that was most often the season ending game for Concord, and they had some doozies.

From 1954 to 1984 Concord and AL Brown played in the final game. It was the season opener in 1924 and 1931, and from 1940 to 1953 it was always week 7 (occasionally week 6). The game was week 4 in the early and mid-30's to ca 1941, and back toward game 7 after that. I don't think the series was the huge thing it became until the 1950's based in all of the old newspaper articles. It was a big one, but not THE game until that then.

The game was early/middle season again 1985-89 and again 2001-04, and of course went back to season opener in 2013.

I think that is 51 years as season finale and 35 years elsewhere in the schedule. But of course in the era most of us know and experienced, it's usually been the finale.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this