Coaches Moving Van  |  Scoreboard   |  Standings  |  Coaching Records  |  Stadium Project |  Team Pages

2017 NCHSAA Realignment

Photo

Jim Bob leaving Freedom

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

http://www.morganton...gn=MNH Breaking

#2 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

I have the perfect one for this:

Bye Felicia

#3 cougars'12

cougars'12

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

wow, I thought Freedom showed potential in the early going this season but pretty much derailed by the end, figured with the talent Freedom has that JB would turn them into a powerhouse, must be more problems going on there than someone from the outside can see.

#4 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:33 AM

Defense is where they need to get better.  Tons of talent, the rising junior qb is special, very special.  Joe Glass is the obvious hire but he's got it going on at Robinson.  Interesting to say the least. 

#5 CHEERDUCK

CHEERDUCK

CP Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Lots of useless discussion about this change.I'd say everyone would be best to take the good out of the deal and let the rest of the conversation die. Freedom has some good talent in the pool and whomever they hire will be able to make a good run the next few years.

It's not where you start, but where you finish!

#6 Schmo

Schmo

• Members
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

There are some issues there.  I'm not privy to all of it but I know they have some things to work out.  Great talent pool, Good Community support, and a tradition of winning.  This program yearns for some stability.

#7 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Glass-Joe-Mug.jpg

The face most of us want to see on the sidelines next season.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#8 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Glass is not going to make anymore money than where he is at and he already has the known factor at JMR. Without a lot more money do you risk the unknown? Deep playoff run vs one and done? Tiny town vs large metro area? Basically it comes down to SHOW ME THE MONEY.

#9 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

Glass is not going to make anymore money than where he is at and he already has the known factor at JMR. Without a lot more money do you risk the unknown? Deep playoff run vs one and done? Tiny town vs large metro area? Basically it comes down to SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Joe Glass is a Freedom graduate.  Morganton is his hometown and he only left for Concord four years ago.  When he came to a basketball game last year (before it was known that JBB had been hired as our coach) he was approached by large numbers of people who wanted to shake his hand and wish him well (many of us wanted him then).  The problem with going after big name coaches is that they will always have a "better option", such as leaving the state for more money.  The solution to that is to be the better option and for coach Glass that might mean coming home to a community where he has a deep roots and where he is known and admired-and not just for football, many here know him based on the strength of his character and his time living here. 

Joe Glass is in his early 40s.  He isn't ready to retire and he can stay at Freedom for as long as he wishes.  He took a team that was 0-11 when he took over four years ago and took it to the regional finals this past season, so I think he might be the difference between "Deep playoff run and one and done."  The "state championship pedigree" of the big name coaches means nothing if the coach won't stick around long enough to see it through, but I don't think that would be an issue with coach Glass.  If he were to win a championship here he would be a legend in his hometown, what might that be worth to him?  Given that we took a pass on him just last year, I wouldn't blame him if he decided to stay at JMR.  But, if he wants the job (and people that know him tell me he is interested) we should do everything we can to get him.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

#10 Steelers71

Steelers71

Established Member

• Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

Freedom has the ability to offer a better financial deal than Robinson. They can make that happen if they wish. This is a fact.

#11 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

If I were to apply for this job I would call these coaches and ask for off the record feedback. But I would do that at any job before leaving something already good. Glass has built a program. Will he just leave after bringing it to this point? He’s one game from a title appearance.

#12 MHSblueDevilsARE#1

MHSblueDevilsARE#1

Platinum Member

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

As far as coach Glass is concerned, I don’t think the first thing for him is all about the money. I firmly believe he is quite content at JMR and will stay there, unless freedom offers him something through the roof outrageous that he just can’t turn down.

#13 Pats86

Pats86

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

From what I understand they (Freedom) offered more than they were willing to give to JBB when he came. That seems to be the rub on the admin. They won't hold up their end of the deal. Any coach would be hard pressed to get excited over any promises.

#14 TitanNation79

TitanNation79

JV Team

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

With the exception of  "Jug" Wilson coaching nine seasons at the back end of his legendary coaching tenure and Tim McMahon's 11 seasons (1995-2005), it's been four years or less for nine different coaches...

With the kind of talent that has flowed through that area over the years, it would set off all kinds of bells and whistles if I was a coach considering that opening...

#15 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

When this job was open last year I posted that I wanted a coach for the long run, i.e. at least 10 years because I have lived through so much of this turnover.  Chris himself came on that thread and said that that was almost unheard of and that we would be fortunate if a coach lasted 5 years (I think his exact words were "10 years is an eternity").  So, instead of taking the coach most likely to stay for the long term, we took the big name with the championship pedigree and I consoled myself that Chris was probably right and that JBB might be able to take us far in just three years or so.

And now he's gone.  And I'm not going to go into what is being said here or there because I can't substantiate any of it and because I know that Chris doesn't want any of that on here (and he's right about that-it isn't helpful).  But now, having snubbed the guy who is almost the textbook definition of a "perfect fit" for our program, we are going to have to go to him and hope that we can lure him away from a program where he has built a winner and is respected.  I only hope we didn't screw up our chance to have a long term solution and I think the biggest problem with our program might be that our decision makers are too easily distracted by shiny things.

― C.S. Lewis

#16 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

Friend, shiny things are normally good. Trophies, runner up plaques, championship rings. Nobody has the best winning candidate in front of them and says “I’ll pass for the average guy because he will stay a long time”.

Speaking of Joe Glass, what connection does his father have with Newton-Conover. I’m pretty sure I saw him multiple times at Newton practices watching somebody on the team.

#17 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

Friend, shiny things are normally good. Trophies, runner up plaques, championship rings. Nobody has the best winning candidate in front of them and says “I’ll pass for the average guy because he will stay a long time”.

Speaking of Joe Glass, what connection does his father have with Newton-Conover. I’m pretty sure I saw him multiple times at Newton practices watching somebody on the team.

I'm not sure, I don't know coach Glass personally-only by reputation-though I've never met anyone who had a bad thing to say about him..

Honestly, I don't look at it like taking the average guy for a long time (even last year coach Glass should have been seen as above average).  The way I think it should be explained is like an investor looking at two companies-one is high risk of loss with high potential for return in the short term, while the other is likely to pay dividends over a longer time but with less potential for the big return and lower risk.  Last year I was already tired of all the turnover and the long term guy looked pretty good.

― C.S. Lewis

#18 btango

btango

CP Hall of Fame

• Administrator
  • 14,650 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

JBB was not looking at Freedom as a couple of year stop off.  He and his wife were wanting to make a home and stay until he reached thirty years.  They had decided they were good with Freedom and what was being offered.

#19 thecoach73

thecoach73

JV Team

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

I heard through the grapevine that the AD was an issue

#20 Pats86

Pats86

Rookie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

I had heard also that he hoped to stay until he could get an NC retirement. As far as the AD, basketball is all that really matters.

#21 GDG

GDG

Wrestling Correspondent

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

I had heard also that he hoped to stay until he could get an NC retirement. As far as the AD, basketball is all that really matters.

AD is also an assistant principal and head basketball coach. It’s important to know going into this job basketball will rank above football. Freedom will always be known more as a basketball school with the current staff. Working for the right AD makes things more palatable. AD wearing that many hats is very uncommon at 3A and 4A schools.

#22 FHS1985

FHS1985

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Ok-I'm going to step in here and speak up for Casey Rogers who I have known for many years.  He is a fine man who has done great things for FHS as both an athlete and a coach.  I have personally seen things he has done to improve all aspects of our athletic program.  People who do not closely follow our athletics will not understand some of the things that have been done, but I will provide just one example that anyone can confirm on their own: this season the start of our basketball season was pushed back for at least a week to the 1st of December at least in part due to the anticipated playoff good works that JBB was supposed to accomplish (this despite the fact that there is only one football player who plays significant minutes on the basketball team, and he is not a hoops starter).  This was done well before the end of football season and put us starting hardwood play after every other school in the county.

I have purposefully not repeated the things that I am seeing said about JBB in other places (as I said above, Chris doesn't like it and it isn't helpful), but I see no reason to stand by while JBB is excused at Casey Rogers' expense.

― C.S. Lewis

#23 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

For the record, I don’t think the reasons that Coach Bryant left had anything to do with the AD. JB was up front and honest with his principal and told her that he was going to look for jobs and a better one came available and he got it. This was a deal where he was promised one figure and paid a completely different number and he couldn’t live with the shortcoming.

Coach told me that he loves the kids and he and his wife loved the school and community, but it got to a point where they had to do what’s best for them.

#24 South Fork fan

South Fork fan

Freshman Team

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

I heard JB got a better coaching job in Georgia. Money that Freedom can't offer. Now unless my source is wrong then I can't blame him.
As far as Joe Glass goes, idk. People forget how important family is and how that can weigh on decisions too. People forget they don't pay coaches a lot of money in this state. It's a year round job. Personally I wonder if current Maiden assistant coach Stephen Hensley who played at Freedom is interested. Once again he has young children and Maiden is a nice community. Just a thought.

#25 Chris Hughes

Chris Hughes

Head Coach

• Administrator
  • 18,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

I feel Glass may have an interest in returning home, and who would blame him, but he’s also told me that why would he leave JM Robinson, he’s done a great job and has back-to-back conference titles.

JeffChapman-Dynamic